[1.3] Mahesys's Crit AoF Fire Ice Spear Elemental proliferator

Since I think this buílds looks great I'll give it a go. I wonder though, how would you go about and level it? Which ways around the passive tree first?

Also, would you even care for Ice Spear as levelling skill or level with something else first? Searing Bond maybe, that would suit the tree well for levelling?
"
Tompa974 wrote:
Since I think this buílds looks great I'll give it a go. I wonder though, how would you go about and level it? Which ways around the passive tree first?

Also, would you even care for Ice Spear as levelling skill or level with something else first? Searing Bond maybe, that would suit the tree well for levelling?

I'll add a leveling section soon. For the tree i don't like setting up a tree each 10 passives or 20. So i can say go first in shadow area and take critical nodes and life nodes, then reach templar area. I swapped to my "final" build at level 56 and while leveling i used a 3 link ice nova in a +1 wand

Searing touch or all other ways to level are welcome too! i simply leveled slowly and safely
Updated with a video!
"
Mahesys wrote:
"
Tompa974 wrote:

I'll add a leveling section soon. For the tree i don't like setting up a tree each 10 passives or 20. So i can say go first in shadow area and take critical nodes and life nodes, then reach templar area. I swapped to my "final" build at level 56 and while leveling i used a 3 link ice nova in a +1 wand

Searing touch or all other ways to level are welcome too! i simply leveled slowly and safely

Nah, a per-10pt guide is too much. A general one like you just gave is just enoough, thank you!

Do you pretty much link prolif, cold to fire and spear as soon as you can, or do you wait? And if you do this, do you get AoF immedietly?
"
Mahesys wrote:
Hi all guys,
Build highlights:

- Absolutely no "chance to ignite" passives???: yes avoid them!!! this because we want only critical hits (the ones with most damage) to proliferate burning damage!!! note also that burning status cannot be overwritten, this means that if a normal hit would burn, you must wait it to lift off before applying another burn with a critical one!

Unless it has changed, that is wrong.

According to the wiki:

"
Separate applications of ignite do not stack cumulatively. Each ignite effect remains present on the target until it runs its course, but only the one with the highest damage per second will cause damage at any given moment. For example, assume an enemy is inflicted with ignite for 100 damage per second, then after 2 seconds it is inflicted with ignite for 50 damage per second. The outcome will be 400 damage over 4 seconds followed by 100 damage over 2 seconds.

So if you land a non-crit that ignites, enemies will prolif the burn to enemies around them, if you hit a second time and crit, enemies will prolif the crit burn to enemies around them. The crit burn will do its damage (the non-crit will stop doing damage) until it wears off and they stop burning.

Basically they get more than one burn debuff that lasts for four seconds, but only the strongest debuff does damage at one time.

Importantly though, every burn does the full damage it should have done over its remaining duration if it is the next strongest debuff (in the example from the wiki, the 50 damage per second burn does 100 damage per second instead of 50 because it only has two seconds remaining to do the 200 damage it would have done if it lasted the full four seconds).

So if you hit with a crit, then one seconds later hit with a non-crit, after the crit burn wears off, monsters will take the entire damage of the non-crit burn in one second.

Again, that's all assuming the wiki is correct on how ignite works.

But, even if the wiki is correct, building towards igniting on non-crits would almost require lowering the burn or fire damage, and with only a chance to ignite, probably wouldn't be worth it.

EDIT: Think I found a slight optimization.......drop Frost Walker and pick up another 10% elemental damage by the shadow.

If my math is correct, frost walker is ~22.5% increased hit damage (assuming 25% of cold damage added as additional fire damage with cold to fire), whereas the 10% elemental node gives you 12.5% hit damage from what it adds to cold w/ cold to fire, then your cold is converted to fire, which is increased by 10% elemental damage.

Because your cold damage was increased to 12.5% then increased again by 10%, that cold damage is now converted into 13.75% fire damage + 10% increased fire damage meaning that 10% elemental node is now worth 23.75% increased hit damage (vs frost walkers 22.5%)

Very small optimization, and it wouldn't matter much as you level and pick up the rest of those nodes anyway, but elemental and spell damage is going to double tap the cold damage (that is the base spell damage plus what cold to fire adds as additional fire, since it adds it based on your cold damage), and the overall fire damage after conversion.

I think I'm going to start a templar tomorrow using this concept, 20% less spell damage and 14 less max ES, but 12% more all resist, and at a high level it can recover all the same spell damage.
~IGN: Nagisan
Last edited by Nagisan on Sep 8, 2014, 12:09:42 AM
"
Nagisan wrote:
"
Mahesys wrote:
Hi all guys,
Build highlights:

- Absolutely no "chance to ignite" passives???: yes avoid them!!! this because we want only critical hits (the ones with most damage) to proliferate burning damage!!! note also that burning status cannot be overwritten, this means that if a normal hit would burn, you must wait it to lift off before applying another burn with a critical one!

Unless it has changed, that is wrong.

According to the wiki:

"
Separate applications of ignite do not stack cumulatively. Each ignite effect remains present on the target until it runs its course, but only the one with the highest damage per second will cause damage at any given moment. For example, assume an enemy is inflicted with ignite for 100 damage per second, then after 2 seconds it is inflicted with ignite for 50 damage per second. The outcome will be 400 damage over 4 seconds followed by 100 damage over 2 seconds.

So if you land a non-crit that ignites, enemies will prolif the burn to enemies around them, if you hit a second time and crit, enemies will prolif the crit burn to enemies around them. The crit burn will do its damage (the non-crit will stop doing damage) until it wears off and they stop burning.

Basically they get more than one burn debuff that lasts for four seconds, but only the strongest debuff does damage at one time.

Importantly though, every burn does the full damage it should have done over its remaining duration if it is the next strongest debuff (in the example from the wiki, the 50 damage per second burn does 100 damage per second instead of 50 because it only has two seconds remaining to do the 200 damage it would have done if it lasted the full four seconds).

So if you hit with a crit, then one seconds later hit with a non-crit, after the crit burn wears off, monsters will take the entire damage of the non-crit burn in one second.

Again, that's all assuming the wiki is correct on how ignite works.

But, even if the wiki is correct, building towards igniting on non-crits would almost require lowering the burn or fire damage, and with only a chance to ignite, probably wouldn't be worth it.

EDIT: Think I found a slight optimization.......drop Frost Walker and pick up another 10% elemental damage by the shadow.

If my math is correct, frost walker is ~22.5% increased hit damage (assuming 25% of cold damage added as additional fire damage with cold to fire), whereas the 10% elemental node gives you 12.5% hit damage from what it adds to cold w/ cold to fire, then your cold is converted to fire, which is increased by 10% elemental damage.

Because your cold damage was increased to 12.5% then increased again by 10%, that cold damage is now converted into 13.75% fire damage + 10% increased fire damage meaning that 10% elemental node is now worth 23.75% increased hit damage (vs frost walkers 22.5%)

Very small optimization, and it wouldn't matter much as you level and pick up the rest of those nodes anyway, but elemental and spell damage is going to double tap the cold damage (that is the base spell damage plus what cold to fire adds as additional fire, since it adds it based on your cold damage), and the overall fire damage after conversion.

I think I'm going to start a templar tomorrow using this concept, 20% less spell damage and 14 less max ES, but 12% more all resist, and at a high level it can recover all the same spell damage.

Mhhhh interesting thing about the burn mechanics i was pretty sure burn status could not be overwritten by the same source, i was misleaded by this statement of the wiki: "Different sources of burning damage stack cumulatively, but multiple applications from the same source do not". Underlined part misleaded me and i tought that only a burn at time could go, it seems like you say that all burns stack but only the highest one deals damage

But as you said it's not optimal to grab chance to ignite mods for two reasons, the first is that with 70%+ chance to crit the non-crit hits would be overwritten everytime by the crit ones because those have higer damage, and second because it's costly in passive points to get chance to ignite mods (at very least 7 points)

For the optimization i will try it. But at the moment i think that i need those 15% cold res to reach cap, thx for it tho

A templar would have an easier time leveling for sure both for all res nodes and huge pool of life nodes. The witch was pretty squishy sometimes
Last edited by Mahesys on Sep 8, 2014, 3:37:15 PM
Just found a pyre and thought of doing that build. Thanks for clearing that up ^^
Anyway I still want to give it a shot though Im thinking about using Three Dragons.
Again we save us a slot+skill points. We cant boost our initial hit dam with fire dam nodes anymore, but we can pick elemental equilibrium which should boost our burn damage against the initial target pretty hard, could be handy against bosses. What do you think?
I rolled this for shit and giggles when I figured I needed a new bow for my burning arrow templar (sub-62 so no Chin Sol yet anyway) and wasn't that interested in the character. Not exactly the same build though - I had planned one around the release since the concept seemed interesting. It's close, though. I also had a friend with a spare 13% cold to fire, not that the quality on that one would do very much.

I pretty much beelined for AoF and ice spear prolif at level 33 or so and it really wasn't amazing. Not really due to lack of crit, but due to low level of the elemental proliferation gem. It wasn't unplayable at all though, just noticeably worse than something like freezing pulse would be at that level (or flameblast or whatever if you didn't pick frost nodes early like I did). Now I'm 45 and I got to say it's quite fun to play. With just templar and witch crit nodes and a 4L you can kill things quite fast and from a long distance. Ice spear with increased crit damage, prolif and cold to fire can also deal quite good single target damage as long as you can stay at distance.

The only things that cause grief are really fast high hp mobs and summoned skeletons from bringer of bones, Catarina quests or strongboxes since they're really low hp and don't leave corpses behind. Fractured beyonders would probably be pain as well due to the same reason, but I haven't seen those yet.
Last edited by perselmokki on Sep 10, 2014, 5:11:22 PM
Yeah i'm playing a similare Build at the Moment and i am really interested if someone has an idea if Avatar of Fire plus Cold to Fire or three dragons is the better way to go?
If you go three dragons with the kind of build in the op you'll probably save 3 points for not getting avatar of fire. On the other hand you'd get no benefit from fire damage nodes and the witch cold damage nodes are two points of travel away to compensate.

Basically I see three dragons as a tradeoff between being able to pick all frost and fire nodes you want and having one more socket to support ice spear with. Which one is better? Hard to say. I think you can get most of the awesome supports in AoF version in a 5l, but extra sockets are always nice. Earlier extra burning damage and fire penetration or something could be awesome. 3D also allows you to do something considerably different if you feel like the templar nodes aren't that great, though you'd still probably want the burn damage.

It's still worth noting with 3D though, you'd get cold damage and elemental damage. Only elemental damage affects the burn and the initial hit. Cold damage affects just the initial hit. With AoF I think cold damage affects just the initial hit as well, but you'll have plenty of elemental and fire nodes just because the only convenient frost nodes around are around frost walker.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info