My Dagger Crit Reave [1.2.2]

This is mostly to compliment my YouTube videos. People have asked for tree and links and such, so here goes.

INTRODUCTION

Reave is a great offensive skill that provides an area of effect arc, meaning you do not have to link an area of effect support gem. It scales well with physical damage, area, area damage, and Hatred. Added Fire Damage would be a great damage per second boost too, but I do not use it.

Whirling Blades and Lightning Warp make for great mobility skills. A player can Whirl around a map quickly and Warp over obstacles as necessary.

This build allows quick map traversal and has high damage potential for great clear speeds.

THE BUILD

The Tree
More Offensive Tree: Level 90.

More Defensive Tree: Still level 90.

Idea For Progression
Life: 10 points, starting out with some life nodes.

Crit Chance: 26 points, gathering some crit chance.

life, Accuracy, and Crit Chance.: 38 points, grabbing some life, accuracy, and crit chance.

Dagger Damage, Mana, and Power Charge: 52 points, grabbing some damage and mana nodes, as well as the power charge by Shadow.

Evasion and Life: 61 points, grabbing evasion and life, as well as a 30 Strength node.

Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatis: 67 points to get Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics.

Crit Chance and Ondar's Guile: 75 points, getting some more crit chance and Ondar's Guile.

Life: 87 points, grabbing life nodes and attack speed along the way.

Evasion and Life: 95 points, grabbing more evasion and life.

Filling In: 110, filling in the rest of the nodes.

Skill Links
Reave
Reave: Melee Physical Damage, Multistrike, Faster Attacks, Power Charge On Critical, Concentrated Effect.

In a 5-link, I would take out Faster Attacks. If you aren't using Carcass Jack, I would switch Concentrated Effect for Increased Critical Damage. Another option in a 6-link is to use Increased Critical Damage instead of Faster Attacks.

Cast When Damage Taken
Cast When Damage Taken (level 4): Enduring Cry (level 7), Immortal Call (level 5), Increased Duration (20/20).

Cast When Damage Taken
Cast When Damage Taken (level 1): Warlord's Mark (level 5), Enfeeble (level 5).

I ran Enfeeble alone when I didn't have the extra curse ring, but you can experiment and choose whatever curse(s) fit you. I have also used Blood Rage here.

Auras
Reduced Mana: Grace, Hatred.

You can level with the Heralds instead of Hatred if you want or use them anyways if you are having mana issues. Your damage will be a bit less though.

Lightning Warp
Lightning Warp: Reduced Duration.

You can add a third link, Faster Casting, but it's not necessary. I used Portal in the third socket, which is also optional, but convenient. I now use Blood Magic in the third slot.

Whirling Blades
Whirling Blades: Blood Magic, Faster Attacks.

What to Quality
The More Important Gems
Reave: Increases attack speed.

Multistrike: Increases melee physical damage.

Melee Physical Damage: Increases melee physical damage.

Power Charge on Critical: Increase chance to gain a power charge on critical hit.

Increased Critical Damage: Increases critical strike multiplier.

Immortal Call: Additional base duration per endurance charge.

Increased Duration: Increases skill effect duration (for Immortal Call).

Quality of Life Gems
Blood Rage (if you use it): Increase life leech on physical damage attacks.

Whirling Blades: Increases attack speed so you can whirl faster.

Faster Attacks: Increases attack speed (for Whirling Blades).

Lightning Warp: Increase cast speed so you can warp faster.

Reduced Duration: Reduced skill effect duration (for Lightning Warp).

The Bandits
Normal: Oak. Oak is ideal in any life based build.

Cruel: Kill. I suppose helping Oak would be useful for the physical damage. You could also help Kraityn for the attack speed.

Merciless: Kill. You could help for the Power Charge, but I didn't see it as that big of a thing.

THE GEAR

Current Gear

This is what I'm down to after losing my Honour Etcher. I sold my 6 link Carcass Jack to get a 5 link and a Bino's. I also dropped the extra curse ring for a ring with more resists and went back to Crest of Perandus. I also added two Atziri's Promises for damage boosts.

My Best Gear

Ideally, the life flasks should be "Surgeon's" also, but I just took the first thing that gave me "of Staunching" for the bleed removal.

Previous Gear

I used Bino's before I got Honour Etcher and the other dagger before I got a Bino's. The shield, hat, and boots were equipment that I found along the way and are good for using before getting Abyssus and Atziri's Step. Crest of Perandus is good through end-game, but I had to switch to a shield that had more resistances in order to use the curse ring. Ming's Heart is what I used before the curse ring. It is good for Chaos damage and resistance. The resistance made it easier to run Blood Rage, which I no longer run.

REFLECT

Dealing With Reflect
Elemental reflect is never an issue. With Bino's, physical reflect wasn't much of an issue either. Either way, this is how I dealt with physical reflect: Use Whirling Blades until Immortal Call triggers and then kill the physical reflect rare monster.

SCREENSHOTS

Offense
Damage With Charges and Flask (Current Bino's)

Damage With Charges (Honour Etcher)

Damage With Charges (Bino's)

Defense
Defense (Current)

Defense (Previous)

VIDEOS

SynTrSr - Trickster Soulrend/Bane
Last edited by generaldave on Sep 24, 2014, 9:56:45 AM
Hey nice build. I started doing this build since I 6Led my Carcass Jack.

I haven't even equipped it yet, but I have 13k DPS at level 55 (crappy life though, but that should change soon as I hit the ev/hp nodes)

One question: how come you don't use Vaal Reave? Its really good at helping to clear huge packs since it instantly gives stacks and large AOE, even unlinked.
I don't have any slots for Vaal Reave and I clear fast as it is. Wouldn't really get a chance to use it.
really interesting build, i was theory crafting something similar but focusing on lightning coil. What are your thoughts on lightning coil instead of carcass jack to mitigate the abyssus physical damage increase? Also, any replacement gloves for Acuity now that it is very hard to obtain (probably legacy Maligaro's Virtuosity)?
IGN: Standard League - Dark_Captain
@Danton: I mention Maligaro's in my post. That's what I used until I could afford Acuity.

lightning Coil is good for mitigation, but not really necessary. You don't get hit often. Maybe it would be for Ubers. I don't know. Haven't gotten the chance to try yet. All I need is an Ignorance to be able to try it. I'll let you know how it goes.
will this build be viable for Beyond?
Krusher, I don't play hard core leagues, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It is very strong defensively and offensively. And it was quick to level.
Last edited by generaldave on Sep 8, 2014, 3:58:53 PM
I hadn't touched my level 70 shadow since the 1.2 reset, so i elected to try out this build since i had most of the gear lying around in my stash.

I have to say i'm impressed.

A big thank you for this awesome crit dagger shadow build! i think i'm going to be enjoying him a ton :)

Gear for reference
Spoiler

Level 77 tree for reference

*Edit* got a new shield with life + nice resistances for 3 chaos and a q20 level 16 reave for 1 ex :)
*Edit2* Level 77 now, updated tree and gear. currently have 3.5k life, 54k AoE dps with a few q20 gems.
Last edited by lDantonl on Sep 17, 2014, 2:04:03 PM
2.7k is quite low for maps.

I'd probably worry about life on shield rather than evasion. You could use Crest of Perandus. It has nice block chance, health, and a bit of regen as well as leech. Also, that amulet has 0 health. That isn't helping your health pool much. The mana leech on it is probably nice though. As for the Abyssus, I ran the evasion hat shown above until I was in my high 80s. That should help with your health pool.

The tree progressions seems pretty solid. If health is the issue, you can start filling in the rest of the health nodes as you level from now and then grab what's left after that.

Quality gems: You pretty much quality everything but curses, auras, Blood Magic, and Reduced Mana because those are pretty pointless to quality.

Hope that helps you out some, Danton.
@generaldave

I agree, 2.7 is very low and my main priority right now is getting that higher. I think my next buy is a shield similar to yours so i can cap out resistances while still getting life. I really wish there was some way to get health on that neck, but the mana leech + crit is just too good to pass up and i also need the extra intellegence to run my chest.

Just a few question :)
Spoiler

As of now, i have a thousand teeth temu & a crest of p in my stash. which would be a better choice until i get a nice lifer/res shield?

For my tree points, i'll be speccing all the health nodes from now until 80. Should i rush to Heart of oak notable or get the smaller % lifers first?

I'm assuming for q gem priority the most important would be Reave > Multistrike > Melee phys > Conc effect in that order?

I was watching your video runs (with bino's) of apex and saw the dual curse. Is it worth getting or should i just run warlord's + cwdt?

Are Atziri's step boots better than my lifer/res boots i'm running currently?

Thanks again
-Danton

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info