Using a VPN to avoid connection issues

Pillsbury_Doughboy has come up with a comprehensive guide to using a VPN to download and play the game if your internet provider is causing you to have incomplete downloads or preventing you connecting to some areas.

First of all, this workaround will work for two issues as I see it: 1) If your ISP is preventing you from downloading/patching certain files and 2) If you suspect your ISP is preventing you from loading certain areas due to their filtering

There is a relatively simple solution for this, and can be done several ways. The primary method to solving these problems is by either downloading the game through a VPN Connection or playing the game over a VPN Connection, depending upon which problem above you are having. If you already have access to a VPN or know how to attain one, there is no need to continue with the steps below.

There are many options when it comes to downloading VPN Clients. Personally I chose VPNBook, which is completely free and hosted in Romania, so there is no way your ISP will block anything. You can download VPNBook here: http://www.vpnbook.com/#pricing or just follow the steps below.

1) Download the OpenVPN GUI software here: http://openvpn.net/index.php/download/community-downloads.html and choose your file type to download (i.e. exe, zip)

2) Install the OpenVPN GUI software and open the readme for reference

3) You now need to download a VPN Certificate file:
UDP & TCP: http://www.vpnbook.com/free-openvpn-account/VPNBook.com-OpenVPN-Euro1.zip

4) Unzip the certificate files and place the contents in the OpenVPN directory "Config" folder (example: "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\Config")

5) You are now ready to run your OpenVPN GUI which should have created a shortcut on your desktop. It will be running in your taskbar at the bottom right when opened. Right click the OpenVPN icon in the taskbar and click "Connect".

6) When it prompts you for a username and password, use the default one provided by VPNBooks website. This has changed, so you may need to update your login details:
username : vpnbook
password : (for up to date passwords, visit here and click the 'OpenVPN' tab, the details are at the bottom of the drop-down tab)

7) It may require you to enter your username and password a second time. If it does, just re-enter the same username and password. If you are having trouble connecting still, try downloading the TCP Certificates from the link above and replace your old UDP Certificate files in the OpenVPN Config Folder with the TCP ones.

Now that you are on a VPN connection, you are effectively bypassing anything your ISP may be blocking or filtering which can cause errors during downloading or patching of the game, or simply not allowing you to run certain instances of the game itself.

If you are having trouble downloading or patching the game (certain files not downloading) follow the instructions Chris from GGG has provided on this post (running Content.ggpk Reclamation) while you are connected to the VPN: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15283

If you are having problems running the game in certain instances (i.e. Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Errors, or Exceptions) it may be a result of your ISP filtering while you are loading a specific area. You can solve this problem by connecting to the VPN and playing the game or trouble areas while on the VPN Connection.

If you have any further questions about anything regarding this tutorial, dont be afraid to PM me (Pillsbury_Doughboy). I hope this solves any issues you may be having. Happy Hunting!
Balance & Design
Last edited by Michael_GGG on Sep 6, 2013, 12:31:33 AM
Last bumped on Sep 7, 2017, 10:30:49 PM
Holy moly, PDoughBoy and Rory, thanks so much!

Now I can play at work =)

PS: This is a solution for everyone with blocked TCP/UDP gaming ports and ports above 4K range(my case), which will make you unable to play any internet games.
IGN: Pandasexx
open vpn doesnt start some kind of key error couldnt find solution other alternatives?
Maked that and my problema since last game update continues....any other ideas?
ps: Only poe is instable at my pc already tested with another games
does VPN works the same as using Google DNS?
Works fine, just sucks that the servers itself is located in Romania so an exceptional delay is present still, but useable. Anyone able to get some free US servers?
"
Sylv wrote:
Works fine, just sucks that the servers itself is located in Romania so an exceptional delay is present still, but useable. Anyone able to get some free US servers?

I've been looking around myself and this one might work best for reducing lag for US/UK VPN users but I havent personally tried it myself. Just follow the instructions they provide. Give it a go and let us know if it works! http://www.justfreevpn.com/how-to-setup-free-vpn/

It looks like when they state to enter the address as "xx.justfreevpn.com", you want to replace the "xx" with "us" or "uk" depending which you are closer to. "xx" is just a placeholder in this case.
"
Dish wrote:
open vpn doesnt start some kind of key error couldnt find solution other alternatives?

I havent tried the VPN I posted above out yet, but it doesnt require you to download any software, so whatever problems you are having with OpenVPN software will be avoided. It works straight through windows, as it looks. I would give that a try!
Last edited by Pillsbury_Doughboy on Feb 6, 2013, 12:48:31 AM
When I try open OpenVPN GUI it gives me an Error

"Error creating HKLM\SOFTWARE\OpenVPN-GUI key."

Never mind running as administration fixed it
Last edited by rosti93 on Feb 7, 2013, 5:05:04 PM
"
"
Sylv wrote:

I've been looking around myself and this one might work best for reducing lag for US/UK VPN users but I havent personally tried it myself. Just follow the instructions they provide. Give it a go and let us know if it works! http://www.justfreevpn.com/how-to-setup-free-vpn/

It looks like when they state to enter the address as "xx.justfreevpn.com", you want to replace the "xx" with "us" or "uk" depending which you are closer to. "xx" is just a placeholder in this case.

Everytime i try to open the POE i get 'unable to locate the patching server' and then it exits out. This sucks big time, only time i can actually get to play this game is in the night and the night time is when there is high server load and i cannot connect. :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info