Do I have to get all 7 endurance charges?

"
Natharias wrote:
With the new Warlord's Mark, it's very easy to gain charges especially when you use CWDT (level 1) + Enduring Cry.

Explain to me the awesome uses of Warlord's Mark. I've only used it on my level 29 Marauder, so yeah. He's in normal, so things die too fast.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
You're forgetting that Lightning Coil reduces Physical Damage you take before Armour DR calculations, thus improving your Armour's effectiveness. It offers more than 30% "actual" reduction because of that.

Endurance Charges either happen at the same step as Armour, or afterwards. I think it's simultaneous. Anyhow, they don't have this sort of effective armour increase.
(link, see also top of pg2)

And uh, for nine points it's definitely terrible. :P

36% physical reduction is worse than a set chest piece that demands at least one topaz flask and the Purity of Lightning aura?

I'm not looking at the damage you take aside from the defense we're talking about. Obviously LC wins that, but LC lowers your resistance by 60%, requires the use of a topaz flask, the PoL aura, along with some lightning resistance in passives or gear to make up for it. I'd say it takes the same passive points to do either. Furthermore I'll say e-charges require a specific passive location and thus more restrictive in that sense than a single chest piece. But since you're in the area, you can easily go get EB and run Cloak of Defiance instead.

It might be a close call, but I'm going to say e-charges are better overall.
"
Lenox2288 wrote:
I have the endurance charge from the Templar area, the one from the Marauder area, skipped the one from the Duelist area, and I also have the one from the Bandit quests. Just wondering what the norm is and if my 6 endurance charges is enough. The duelist one is too far for what I'm doing. Thanks.

More charges are always better but not when the opportunity cost is too high. If it would take you an extra 1-3 points then 100% get it. If the extra cost is 4-6 points then it's debatable but you argueably see more benefit from using these points for someting else like more life, defenses, damage or additional utility - can be a tough choice. Everyting that costs even more is probably not worth it unless it's an important feature in your build.

Personal recommendation: 6 charges is good and i would not go for the 7th if it costs too many points. If you planned to get other stuff nearby then go for it but 9 skillpoints is a ton just for a single charge. Every single one of my 80+ chars has wet dreams about what he could do with another 10 or even just 5 extra points.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Last edited by vargorn on Aug 29, 2014, 5:55:10 PM
I have 6 on my Templar and am quite happy, 7 ofc would be better ;)

"
Vargorn - Personal recommendation: 6 charges is good and i would not go for the 7th if it costs too many points. If you planned to get other stuff nearby then go for it but 9 skillpoints is a ton just for a single charge. Every single one of my 80+ chars has wet dreams about what he could do with another 10 or even just 5 extra points.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Last edited by DoubleU on Aug 29, 2014, 9:48:37 PM
"
Natharias wrote:
36% physical reduction is worse than a set chest piece that demands at least one topaz flask and the Purity of Lightning aura?

You compared Lightning Coil to Endurance Charges (wildly tangential, but w/e). All I did was point out a flaw in your reasoning.
"
Lenox2288 wrote:
Explain to me the awesome uses of Warlord's Mark. I've only used it on my level 29 Marauder, so yeah. He's in normal, so things die too fast.

Endurance charges on kill
Makes victims much easier to stun (-> even more charges on a melee stun build)
Unrestricted life/mana leech (good defensive option for a wide variety of builds, not just physical attackers)

A mace stun build with Warlord's Mark, a bunch of extra endurance charges and both skill duration clusters is the easiest route to permanent Immortal Call in the whole game.
Last edited by Incompetent on Aug 30, 2014, 1:46:01 AM
"
Incompetent wrote:
"
Lenox2288 wrote:

Endurance charges on kill
Makes victims much easier to stun (-> even more charges on a melee stun build)
Unrestricted life/mana leech (good defensive option for a wide variety of builds, not just physical attackers)

A mace stun build with Warlord's Mark, a bunch of extra endurance charges and both skill duration clusters is the easiest route to permanent Immortal Call in the whole game.

Endurance charges on kill or did you mean stun? I actually am using exactly what you mentioned and am loving it. But I don't really use Warlord's Mark much because everything dies too fast.
I'm still really struggling with getting the final (3rd) charge with any character. Every build I make just looks spread thin. I'm finding that getting one neighboring charge fits in nicely, but not all of them.
for me that depends on the build im going to play.

last league i made a build around the daressos defiance chest and for that build 7 EC (+1 from gear) made me running around in perma onslaught. if i had less (like 3-4) i would be better using a different chest.

and for that build having all of them was a necessity -> now with the new warlords mark its even easier to run around with 100% charges (for that build).

im atm planning out a 2H permastunner using 7 EC (maybe +1 from gear) using abyssus+daressos and might give it a go once i have enough exalts for a 500+ pdps mace since i always wanted to make one.

Last edited by irukandji on Sep 3, 2014, 2:09:37 PM
"
Natharias wrote:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
You're forgetting that Lightning Coil reduces Physical Damage you take before Armour DR calculations, thus improving your Armour's effectiveness. It offers more than 30% "actual" reduction because of that.

Endurance Charges either happen at the same step as Armour, or afterwards. I think it's simultaneous. Anyhow, they don't have this sort of effective armour increase.
(link, see also top of pg2)

And uh, for nine points it's definitely terrible. :P

I'm not looking at the damage you take aside from the defense we're talking about. Obviously LC wins that, but LC lowers your resistance by 60%, requires the use of a topaz flask, the PoL aura, along with some lightning resistance in passives or gear to make up for it. I'd say it takes the same passive points to do either. Furthermore I'll say e-charges require a specific passive location and thus more restrictive in that sense than a single chest piece. But since you're in the area, you can easily go get EB and run Cloak of Defiance instead.

It might be a close call, but I'm going to say e-charges are better overall.

The bare minimum DR a Lightning Coil grants is 30% (you have maxed lightning resist always). If you have any significant armour your relative DR gain scales with armour as well as resistance.

Armour DR with Lightning Coil equipped scales (Armour)/[(12*.6*Damage)+(Armour)]

Increasing your effective armour while also granting DR. Total physical damage taken becomes

(Damage*.4*[1-LighthingResistance])*Damage*[(Armour)/(12*.6*Damage+Armour)]

Vs Damage*[(Armour)/(12*Damage+Armour)]

You are significantly understimating the DR lightning coil grants.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Last edited by Autocthon on Sep 3, 2014, 1:58:17 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info