When is Abyssus' damage factored in

Hello,

I started a Pillar of the Caged God ground slam marauder and picked up the Abyssus since it boosts damage tremendously. I was curious though as to when the increased damage is factored in.

Does it come after armor reduction or before any mitigation is applied?

The reason I'm asking is, with the way armor works in the game (I think), it is almost fully bypassed by large hits, so I want to know if it increases the damage that will be used to see what goes through armor?

I'm not sure if it changes anything or not in how it is calculated, but here's how I see it in a dumbed down version so I can understand what I'm saying.

Get hit for 1,000, 90% armor mitigation, you take 100 damage, 41% increased from Abyssus, total damage 141
OR
Get hit for 1,000, increased by 41% to 1,410, larger hit makes armor less effective and mitigates 75% for example (still 90% on initial 1,000 but only approx. 60% on the additional), I take 353 damage, or almost 2.5 times the initial hit.

Any help appreciated!
Last edited by Namcap on Feb 10, 2014, 5:20:51 PM
Should be additive; Armour is Reduced Physical Damage taken, Abyssus gets you Increased Phys Damage taken.
"
Namcap wrote:
After. Modifiers to the amount of Damage Taken always apply after mitigation.
The Attackers modifiers to damage (dealt) are applied to work out the base damage of the hit, then the defender's armour/resistances/other mitigation are applied to this to work out damage taken. This value is then affected by any and all modifiers to damage taken.
Oh wow. That's actually huge and I'm pretty sure the majority of the community thought it was the opposite, since the big scare of abyssus was that people thought it made the hit bigger and thus made it crush more armor.

Abyssus OP.
Just slap it on with lighting coil, hello no downside abyuss.
IGN Vermillionillusion
GMT-4, usually 8-12 pm
"
Just slap it on with lighting coil, hello no downside abyuss.

Yes sir.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Namcap wrote:
The Attackers modifiers to damage (dealt) are applied to work out the base damage of the hit, then the defender's armour/resistances/other mitigation are applied to this to work out damage taken. This value is then affected by any and all modifiers to damage taken.

How does this work with Lightning Coil? Does that mean Lightning Coil's conversion effect happens after all mitigation, meaning no mitigation from lightning res?

Some numbers to help:

Phys damage of hit = 1000
Player has armor rating sufficient to reduce this to 500
Abyssus increases this damage taken by 47% to 735
Lightning Coil converts 40% to lightning damage, resulting in final damage taken to be:
Physical: 441
Lightning: 294

This correct?
Hi

Abyssus rules with immortal call on cwdt, spam enduring cry with at least 6 end charges, high block and IR= no problems. Of course trying to get the % lower is useful too:

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)

+

=

win
Forum pvp
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Namcap wrote:

Very interesting- pretty much everyone was wrong about this.

While we're on the topic, what about damage conversions of damage taken like Lightning Coil or Coak of Flames? Everyone assumes these are applied before armour and thus make armor more effective(by reducing the size of hits before armour's mitigation is applied)- is this assumption correct, or does conversion of damage taken also get applied after mitigation? Is there any difference between how conversion applied by the attacker and defender are applied?

Well I guess being applied after mitigation wouldn't make sense as the converted damage still needs to be mitigated by resists, but a confirmation would still be nice.
Talisman softcore IGN:disappointment

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info