Do I have to get all 7 endurance charges?

I have the endurance charge from the Templar area, the one from the Marauder area, skipped the one from the Duelist area, and I also have the one from the Bandit quests. Just wondering what the norm is and if my 6 endurance charges is enough. The duelist one is too far for what I'm doing. Thanks.
More is better but you don't need any. I am currently running with just 3 on my caster in merc/maps.
There is no such thing as "too many endurance charges".

Each charge increases your physical resistance by 4%, and this is the only form of "flat" reduction known in the game. So this is the most effective way to mitigate high amounts of physical damage.

With 9 charges, assuming you get the nodes, Kaom's Sign, and the corrupted belt mod, you'd end up with 36% physical reduction. That's better than Lightning Coil. Especially since it increases resistances instead of lowering them.
"
Natharias wrote:

Each charge increases your physical resistance by 4%, and this is the only form of "flat" reduction known in the game. So this is the most effective way to mitigate high amounts of physical damage.

With 9 charges, assuming you get the nodes, Kaom's Sign, and the corrupted belt mod, you'd end up with 36% physical reduction. That's better than Lightning Coil. Especially since it increases resistances instead of lowering them.

I guess I should clarify. The question was not about having too many, but too few. Is 6 too few?

"
BackwoodsS wrote:
More is better but you don't need any. I am currently running with just 3 on my caster in merc/maps.

Thanks. What's your setup like? Scion, Witch, Templar, Shadow? Ice, Fire, Lightning, etc.?
Last edited by Lenox2288 on Aug 29, 2014, 12:15:56 PM
"
Lenox2288 wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

I guess I should clarify. The question was not about having too many, but too few. Is 6 too few?

"
BackwoodsS wrote:

Thanks. What's your setup like? Scion, Witch, Templar, Shadow? Ice, Fire, Lightning, etc.?

6 x 4 = 24% physical damage reduction and 24% to elemental resistances.

If that is good enough for you, then that is sufficient. However another endurance charge can never hurt.

Endurance charges are just like the Purity auras. If you can run them, you should. If you can find a way to run them without sacrificing too much, then do so.

But neither are required.
Kinda depends on how close you are to the last node, too. If it takes five points, and you're not keen on grabbing anything else over there... Probably not worth it. 4% PDR is nice, but it's not worth five passives :P
(the Resistances are just gravy whicheverway)
If you are going to use them as a main feature of your build then yes it is worth it. Also, it will let you get a very long Immortal Call duration as well. Having all of the charge buff nodes (duration and regen per charge) makes them even more powerful, and makes the 7th even more useful.

So yes if you plan on using charges as a main defense then the 7th is very much worth it.

Edit: Ok I see that the last one you need is the duelist one, which also means that you don't have that duration node. At that point it depends on your tree. Generally if I plan on using charges I make a tree that gets all of them, but if you didn't then it may be too far for you or it may not be an optimal area for you to go in the tree. So it depends then.

If you can get other things like life in the area, then it is worth going there. If it would decrease the efficiency of your tree, then it probably isn't worth it. You'll have to make that decision. The last charge and the duration node would be very good though, yes (if you have the other buff nodes, if not then hey are less powerful).
Current IGN: TheBearerOfLight
Gizoogle Chris: "Da State of Exile muthafuckas axed mah crazy ass ta post a reminder dat they podcast is dis weekend, as usual. It aint nuthin but tha nick nack patty wack, I still gots tha bigger sack."
Last edited by BoltThrower87 on Aug 29, 2014, 1:01:47 PM
"
Natharias wrote:
"
Lenox2288 wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

"
BackwoodsS wrote:

6 x 4 = 24% physical damage reduction and 24% to elemental resistances.

If that is good enough for you, then that is sufficient. However another endurance charge can never hurt.

Endurance charges are just like the Purity auras. If you can run them, you should. If you can find a way to run them without sacrificing too much, then do so.

But neither are required.

Yeah, I do feel like 6 is good enough.

"
Vipermagi wrote:
Kinda depends on how close you are to the last node, too. If it takes five points, and you're not keen on grabbing anything else over there... Probably not worth it. 4% PDR is nice, but it's not worth five passives :P

Yeah, I wasn't feeling any of the nodes on the way to the duelist. At least not for my setup.

"
BoltThrower87 wrote:
If you are going to use them as a main feature of your build then yes it is worth it. Also, it will let you get a very long Immortal Call duration as well. Having all of the charge buff nodes (duration and regen per charge) makes them even more powerful, and makes the 7th even more useful.

So yes if you plan on using charges as a main defense then the 7th is very much worth it.

Edit: Ok I see that the last one you need is the duelist one, which also means that you don't have that duration node. At that point it depends on your tree. Generally if I plan on using charges I make a tree that gets all of them, but if you didn't then it may be too far for you or it may not be an optimal area for you to go in the tree. So it depends then.

If you can get other things like life in the area, then it is worth going there. If it would decrease the efficiency of your tree, then it probably isn't worth it. You'll have to make that decision. The last charge and the duration node would be very good though, yes (if you have the other buff nodes, if not then hey are less powerful).

Thanks. This is helpful. It would take me 9 points to reach the Duelist endurance node.
Last edited by Lenox2288 on Aug 29, 2014, 1:13:58 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:

I have to disagree.

I did have an Iron Will marauder that used all endurance charges possible, but hadn't yet gotten a corrupted belt roll. It was doing rather well. All I did was get max block from using the Crest of Perandus and spent the rest of my points getting strength and the endurance charge nodes. I don't know how well it would do in 1.2, but it used Cybil's Paw and was fairly good.

For a single charge, no endurance charge node is worth it. But if it is the last one or the second in the tree, and you have the gear oriented towards it, the nodes can be very worthwhile. The downside of relying on E-charges is that you can't really use IC. Unless you have a method to get them back quickly enough to where you have them all by the time IC is done.

From what I've experienced, e-charges are similar to block. The more you get, the more powerful each one becomes. Let's look at why physical damage reduction is used and loved:

High armor mitigates low damage extremely well. Only the hardest hitters are troublesome.

Lightning Coil offers a 30% "actual" reduction. It takes 40% of the damage, and assuming you have 75% resistance, it reduces the actual damage you take to 60% physical and 10% lightning. It is possible to get a full 40% "actual" reduction when using flasks and other methods to boost your lightning resistance. 9 e-charges give 36% physical reduction, along with giving you 36% to all resistances instead of giving you a -60% to lighting. Oh, and Lightning Coil restricts you to using that chest piece.

In short, I'd say Lightning Coil offers the greatest possible defense, but only if you can take advantage of it. E-charges give the best overall defense since they don't just move damage around, along with boosting resistances. With the new Warlord's Mark, it's very easy to gain charges especially when you use CWDT (level 1) + Enduring Cry.
You're forgetting that Lightning Coil reduces Physical Damage you take before Armour DR calculations, thus improving your Armour's effectiveness. It offers more than 30% "actual" reduction because of that.

Endurance Charges either happen at the same step as Armour, or afterwards. I think it's simultaneous. Anyhow, they don't have this sort of effective armour increase.
(link, see also top of pg2)

And uh, for nine points it's definitely terrible. :P
Last edited by Vipermagi on Aug 29, 2014, 2:14:00 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info