1.2 - Budget Life Physical Wander

Changelog - Updated 9/19/2014
8/29/2014 - Updated Shadow start to take attack speed instead of Phys Damage when you respec to Wander.
9/2/2014 - Updated Current Progress. Update passives to take Trickery node. Removed Profane Chemistry. Updated routing to go through Ranger. Updated bandits
9/3/2014 - Added Masters section. Added my starter wand + costs of it.
9/4/2014 - Updated Pros/Cons. Added new passive tree variation. Added more detail to gear section. Updated gems.
9/5/2014 - Updated gems again.
9/8/2014 - Updated Current Progress. Got Lightning Coil.
9/10/2014 - Updated Pros/Cons. Updated Progress.
9/12/2014 - Added Wand Buying sections. Added more Chest options.
9/15/2014 - Added PCoC as Barrage gem option.
9/19/2014 - Added Wand Crafting section. Made PS single target choice.
There don't seem to be any decent Wander guides that don't cost a fortune, the goal of this is to remedy that and make one! The cost was 8 chaos for weapon + 5L chest, I am one shotting the entire screen. My next plan is to master craft a pretty good weapon for myself.

I am hoping to make some videos soon. Currently doing 70+ maps working on getting a base to go up. It takes me around 6-9 minutes to full clear a map including picking up items.

I leveled up as EK and switched at lv56 to Wands.

Pros and Cons
+ Crazy fast clear speed
+ Very fun
+ Surprisingly tanky from Flasks/Coil
+ Cheap (Weapon + 5L cost me a combined 8 chaos)
+ Can do almost all map mods (Not no regen, half regen you need mana flask)
+ Makes awesome whump *CRACK* sound effect with cool blue explosions everywhere

- Hard to level as Wander. Usually use another skill then switch
- While starting costs are cheap, high end upgrades are absurdly expensive
Passives

I have seen quite a few people saying that Ondars really doesn't do very much against reflect unless you have crazy high evasion. If this is the case I recommend going into Templar and picking up the extra Power Charge.
Gems
6L: Power Siphon + LMP/GMP + Chain + WED/FA + Inc Crit Damage + Accuracy(20%)/PPAD
4L: Power Siphon + PCoC + Inc Crit Dmg + Faster Attacks
4L: Reduced Mana + Clarity + Hatred + Herald of Ash
4L: CWDT(1) + Immortal Call(3) + Enduring Cry(5) + Inc Duration(20)
3L: Reduced Mana + Purity of Lightning + Assassins Mark
3L: Arctic Armor + Lightning Warp + Reduced Duration
Other: Vaal Power Siphon/Vaal Haste
SWAP: Leap Slam + Faster Attacks (in a fast weapon) if you're not using Lightning Warp
WED vs PPAD vs FA
I highly recommend you test out all three and decide which you like more. In testing all three have almost identical DPS for me. I have a 1.1 atk speed weapon right now so Faster Attacks is the best for me just so I'm not attacking slow as hell. Your clear speed will be insane with either gem and making reflect less scary is much more important.
LMP vs GMP
This is dependant on your mana and your damage. If you can sustain the mana cost of GMP and still one shot packs when you crit, use GMP. If you either can't sustain the mana cost, or with GMP stuff doesn't die in one shot to a crit, use LMP.
Power Siphon vs Barrage Single Target
I am in the process of recoloring my gloves to use Power Siphon instead of Barrage (BBBG on Maligaros not fun) because in testing Power Siphon does about 80-85% of Barrage's damage per hit. However Barrage rarely hits 4/4 projectiles, especially from long range. This makes Power Siphon a much better choice for hard bosses and kiting scenarios IMO.

Why are you using PCoC with Power Siphon?!
In scenarios where you have to kite and can't just burst the boss down, I find my Power Charges quite often start to expire which causes a huge DPS loss. 100% uptime of my charges is much more important than another DPS support IMO.
Leveling:
EK + Added Fire + Faster Casting + Spell Echo/Faster Projectiles
Bear Trap + Added Fire + Culling Strike
Projectile Weakness/Vulnerability
Gear
You want crit gear with life + resists + ES. Attack speed, weapon elemental damage, and flat physical are a bonus.

Required:
Best possible Physical DPS wand (170+ pDPS). I highly recommend a 1.5 attack speed one, burns more mana but slow wands are super annoying to use. You can probably craft this with new Masters.
Surgeon Flasks

Wants:
200+ pDPS wand with 10%+ base crit and 1.5+ atk speed.
Alphas Howl/Rat's Nest helm
Atziri Flask
Rumi's Concoction
Maligaro's Virtuosity Gloves
Lightning Coil (run a Topaz flask + Purity of Lightning)/Daresso's Defiance/Belly of the Beast

Personally I think Belly of the Beast or Lightning Coil w/ Rumi's Concoction is the best option.

Leveling:
Lifesprig
Bandits
Oak, Oak, Alira
Masters
Tora (crafting phys mods onto wands)
Zana (maps)
FAQ
Current Progress
Currently lv82. It cost me 4 chaos for my wand and I master crafted crit onto it (4 alcs). It's ~182 pDPS and 9.84% crit for 6 chaos total. I also bought a white 5L for 2 chaos.

Since then I have upgraded my gear a bit, I got a 5L Lightning Coil and reflect is a complete non-issue. I am running Hatred + Herald of Ash + Clarity and replaced Assassin's Mark with Enfeeble as I don't need the damage. I want to start running Arctic Armor soon but need more mana regen Clear speed is fantastic, so fun!!
Gear/Gems
Wand Buying Guide
You want your starter wand to have at least 165+ physical DPS and preferable also 9.5%+ local crit chance. Also keep in mind when looking for wands that master crafting can GREATLY improve it. Crafting the prefix %physical+accuracy or flat physical can turn a 150 dps weapon into a 180 dps weapon. Crafting the Suffix Local Critical Strike Chance can turn a 8% crit wand into a 10% crit wand.

You can also craft Attack Speed but it is very rare to find a wand with both %physical, flat physical, %physical/accuracy, AND crit chance that isn't already expensive.
Wand Crafting
I am planning on starting to craft a wand upgrade for myself. The plan is to spam alts until I get either Tyrannical (T1 % Phys) or Flaring (T1 Flat Phys), preferably without a suffix. Then I will Regal with 1 stat and craft the rest with Elreon/Tora.

Special thanks to yongsheng11 for testing and feedback concerning gems/passives.

All questions and suggestions are welcome!
IGN: Dmillz
Last edited by Dmillz on Sep 19, 2014, 5:22:37 PM
I'm still in theorycraft mode as well since I haven't been able to get my hands on a wand.

Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgYAsNhqjPVvyBSi2WHiJpUWv4w2VUsfQQMetUgGI3BSKgvz6m1sbIydqjY9_xxLjR6BtMVirKc0wJzjhBGWDkhJUfDVlS4HHn_G2wuCHohCwcX67_xkSpqiBBSwP3O-7slEx8qaYc5wCaBs5_bnBAdMsy0flSDB88UoVcaD218q6-TndOjWmyayGTIBBbXWin8rMHxRR42_TZIj9o19PeK309fLo4rveu4O_rp9ddN-CC7tgxmOAF4aj_ba-wkZipu1IupjQ1AwakPAVLzqaxdiWiSdz3pZvPZb

Playing on Beyond, hoping that AA/Ondar's/Cwdt will be enough to keep me alive. My hp seems to be a bit low but I can probably drop some damage to get easily accessible nodes.

Aura wise, I'm running grace/hatred/clarity. Not sure about damage from the links since I've never played wander before, is WED better than added fire for phys?

I've been leveling/playing using EK since a ton of the nodes are similar

Maybe after my gear gets a lot better, some of those mana nodes can be dropped.
Last edited by YomiHC on Aug 25, 2014, 3:04:16 PM
How's EK for leveling? I thought about it but thought with the Vendor recipe might be easier to craft a big 2h weapon and use that.

152% is pretty decent for a ranged build actually. Your path is pretty much exactly what I would run, evasion + block + flasks are the best defence you can run as Wander IMO. I am almost positive WED will be better. With the new nodes on the tree adding 50% of our physical as elemental as well as Hatred adding another 36% as cold we have a ton of elemental damage.

The attack speed nodes in the Fusilade/Tempest Blast cluster aren't as efficient as the damage ones unless you really need the accuracy. Also they burn more mana!
Last edited by Dmillz on Aug 25, 2014, 4:00:24 PM
EK has been pretty good for using atm. Can't really call it leveling anymore since I'm already 75 still looking for a wand to use. The standard kill packs quick but single target slow. It's nice because the respec cost will be pretty minimal if there is any at all.

I pretty much used the same wand from level 15-70 that I crafted using the spell dmg recipe. You can craft something like a 50-60 spell dmg wand which is good enough for a long time.

Planning to run max level AA, but haven't crunched any numbers. Hoping I'll have enough mana regen/pool/leech that I won't have any mana issues no matter how fast I'm attacking.

On why I don't have a wand yet... I bought an alpha's howl first because I figured that is probably the most useful piece of gear to have and using EK isn't all that bad yet.
Last edited by YomiHC on Aug 25, 2014, 4:14:43 PM
Alpha's is nice but it's a luxury, having a wand to actually go Wander with is pretty mandatory IMO. I can't see a decent wand costing more than a couple exalts. You can ignore extra crit for starting out (wands have like 8%+ base anyways), which means you only need flat phys + % phys and MAYBE % atk speed. One of which you can craft using the new masters. Hopefully you'll get one soon!
Updated to add leveling information such as passives and gems.
there goes Dmillz again posting another one of his n00b builds!!!!!!!

Tree is looking good man. Glad to see you are supporting the new OP life flask passives. Many people are over looking these. For anyone that doesnt know, these can make a insta-flask a near full heal.

One suggest is to maybe link Blind to HoI if you got the links. Make them whites explode blinding blues, yellows, and hopefully uniques. It wont increase the reserve none but if it fits, why not?

I second leveling as EK - its super strong, more so now with the new tree changes, and you wont have to deviant at all from the main spec saving your respec points for other situations. It will scale from the physical nodes and the projectile nodes.

Good job man.
That's a good idea with the Blind, but I really have no sockets for it :(. My only issue with EK is killing bosses with it is apparently pretty slow? I haven't tried it at all in like 3 patches. I have updated to use EK instead for a couple reasons:

1. Physical isn't mitigated nearly as much as Elemental
2. Fewer nodes to respec
3. Hatred + both Heralds work with EK for a pretty big damage boost.

I am still a bit wary since with FP you can use +1 cold gems weapon for extra power as well as shotgun bosses with LMP. However it is a toss-up as to if this is better because of elemental resists, not getting as much benefit from auras, and needing an extra 4-6 regrets.
Last edited by Dmillz on Aug 26, 2014, 4:29:10 PM
"
Dmillz wrote:
That's a good idea with the Blind! My only issue with EK is killing bosses with it is apparently pretty slow apparently? I haven't tried it at all in like 3 patches.

EK will be fine for bosses until you get to your main skill, its not like you will be mapping with it. Run dual spell damage wands and you are set. Of course this is only one option and is just an option that allows a person not to use a respec.
I hear it is really hard to run Ci with Power siphon because of the mana issues. Is the mana a little to much for power siphon?

Btw how is your wander coming along? doings maps? good clear speeds?
Last edited by Pharcri on Aug 26, 2014, 4:58:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info