[1.2.0] Dreamfeather: Post-Mortem

So... How did any of this achieve your original goal of mitigating physical spike dmg?

Such as everyones favorite... Overtly punitive physical fire storm for A'aili in alluring abyss.
@BeerPact
"
Lyralei wrote:

Just because you can't come up with a build for it means its bad?

To me, Dreamfeather is a very straight "damage" weapon.

But both for elemental and physical builds, it is outclassed by mid tier rares.
I'm not even speaking of crazy rares, it gets beaten by weapons for 5-10 chaos.
This means: it's not even a weapon that will be used as a "substitute" until you get a "serious" weapon (like some people use Bino's until they have a mirrored dagger, or Mightflay until they get a 300 DpS weapon).

The only "profit" from using this unique is the ~200 flat evasion that a rare sword cannot roll.
That doesn't seem like too much profit to me.
The "Evasion->Damage" mechanic is unique, yes, but it is still "just damage", and not too much, since it is only "increased" damage, and has a very low ratio (1% in 450).

"Can't come up with a build"?
I can come up with a ton of sword wielding builds using all kinds of skills and damage sources.
But for none of them I would say: "I need to use a Dreamfeather, it's amazing!"

Its an ok offhand, but again, I'd probably use another offhand.

Enlighten me, please, I just don't see what you were intending.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Just wanted to share my Dreamfeather build. I started a thread here:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616

Gear

With an Elreon accessory, 2% mana leech on gear, and a low level (no higher than lvl 5) Clarity linked to Blood Magic and Reduced Mana, you shouldn't need any mana nodes on the tree to run Cleave in a 5L setup.

Right now I deal something like 23.5k dps with a 4L (Cleave + Elemental Weapon Damage + Faster Attacks + Added Cold Damage). I like Increased Area of Effect as a 5th link because it increases my clear speed moreso than extra damage, as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions? What do people use in their builds aside from a basic CwDT setup and a movement skill?
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Oct 15, 2014, 11:16:46 AM
Updated my build:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616

With the Life Leech gem, this thing is fairly "tanky". I'm really enjoying the Dreamfeather and Queen of the Forest combo. +100% movement speed and over 20k dps in a 4L isn't too shabby!
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Right when the Sword came out i made a ranger around it. Physical dual wield Cleave plus Dual Strike for Single Target:

Current Tree @85:

Current Gear:
Spoiler

Got 20.5k DPS on Cleave and 26k DPS on Dual strike. Not too impressive but she is one of my most survivable characters I've build sofar. Only Some elemental spell stuff is harassing me hard because I dont have as much life as I'd like. Also I havent found a good substitute to the gloves I'm running, some high EV Gloves should give me some more DPS.

I like the sword because you can scale your offense with your defense! I can live with the facts that it wont reach dagger lvl dps therefore.

regards
GGG seems a little hesitant to release anymore powerful uniques due to past hiccups like soul taker.

Creating a unique that is some place between game breaking and competitive vs high end rares seems nearly impossible due to the creativity of players.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Nephalim wrote:
Creating a unique that is some place between game breaking and competitive vs high end rares seems nearly impossible due to the creativity of players.

What do you mean by this? That Dreamfeather is under or over-powered? I think Dreamfeather is pretty successful in the way it lets you use defense to increase your offense, and I don't think the community has discovered the full potential of variety this sword provides yet.
[2.2] Varunastra/Prismatic Eclipse DW Beserker /forum/view-thread/1604711
[2.2] Drunken Wretch - (Gladiator with The Retch + Broken Faith) /forum/view-thread/1656234
"
themoleium wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:

What do you mean by this? That Dreamfeather is under or over-powered? I think Dreamfeather is pretty successful in the way it lets you use defense to increase your offense, and I don't think the community has discovered the full potential of variety this sword provides yet.

It is absolutely under powered with only a single unique modifier that really is simply translated 'increased % damage' that is reliant on evasion instead of a static value. Nothing against the creator or GGG but i simply feel they didnt allow this item to be as strong as it should have been for being a level 66 unique.

in the end its simply a mid end rare with x% increased damage and some increased attack speed. IAS, not unique, attack rating, not unique, evasion, not unique.

Uniques like these need to provide something truly unique, even if its underpowered or has severe drawbacks, rather than being "well balanced" and being totally bland.

"
[placeholder] Lyralei's Duskveil
Assassin's Garb
+[50-30]% reduced maximum Life and Energy Shields
+[275-475] Evasion Rating
+[150-250]% Increased Local Evasion Rating
+75% Physical Damage Reduction
[30-55]% Chance to Dodge Spell Damage (stacks with Phase Acrobatics)
Gems in this item are Supported by level 17 Blind
Fluid Strikes: 1% of Evasion Rating is added as Physical Damage

Again, lots of unique modifiers not seen elsewhere and a potentially crippling drawback. this is a 'good' unique in the sense its original, fun, and can open a lot of build opportunities.

IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
themoleium wrote:
I don't think the community has discovered the full potential of variety this sword provides yet.

With the current tree and unique item selection, I think it would be hard to do much better than most of the builds already posted in this thread. I hope there will be some upcoming changes/additions that make Dreamfeather more "competitive".
Well I totally disagree that it's underpowered. I'm currently playing a level 80 ranger who uses Dreamfeather as an offhand. I got all of her gear and chucked it on the a level 84 character who is not at all set up for using dreamfeather but is set up for dual swords.

Passives for that char
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAF4CEQMnA4cFtQguCVgUUhUgFr8Y2xmOG60dyiP2JJ0mlSjbKk0s6TBxMHwxnjSTNZI17zY9OkI6szrtPydE0kd-Sn1KyEt4TZJN404qUUdVS1b6W69csGHiYlpirGNwZU1noGyMbWxttG5pbqpwcnfXfXV_K4FBhNmHdo19jb-QCpVml3CZK5uNnaqj56ZXpn-xs7TFtUi18rZBvYG-p8APwYvC7NJN037T_NQj1FLWiti926fdDd2o3-_tQe2D7g7veu_j_MX-j_66

In my main hand I use have a slow, 300 pDPS rapier (to scale off the high APS of Dreamfeather). Running a 5L Cleave setup with Hatred and Grace, Dreamfeather gives me 29.6k DPS. When I replace it with another 300 pDPS weapon

I get 30.6k DPS - not much of an increase really, so I wouldn't exactly call it underpowered.

I understand where you're coming from, that it's not something radically different and completely game changing, but I like it because it gives you something build-defining to work with. Its comparatively low damage is a bit of a drawback but can be worked with or around.

"
Tempada wrote:
With the current tree and unique item selection, I think it would be hard to do much better than most of the builds already posted in this thread.

Most builds in this thread are going QoTF + dual dreamfeather, but I think there could be a few more cool uses for this weapon that haven't been discovered/posted yet even with the current tree and gear available
[2.2] Varunastra/Prismatic Eclipse DW Beserker /forum/view-thread/1604711
[2.2] Drunken Wretch - (Gladiator with The Retch + Broken Faith) /forum/view-thread/1656234

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info