Evasion - Block - Dodge - Blinding. Can someone explain me the formula please :)??

Hello guys.
I have to ask a question. It's the ABC of PoE but still don't know.. What is the link between Evasion-Dodge-Block-Blinding and the probability to be hit??
I mean. Evasion is a number that is due to my equip. There's the accuracy of attacker, the entropy etc.. I've understand these things. But for example.. Let be my evasion 40%, my Dodge 46%, my block rate 28%.. How i calculate the probability to be hit with these values? And what if the attacker is also blinded?
Is the formula simply (1-0.40)*(1-0.46)*(1-0.28) in first case and (1-0.40)*(1-0.46)*(1-0.28)*0.25 in second case or is something more complicated?
And what about spells? Becuase i think spells cannot be evaded but i think they can be blocked or dodged right? And does Blinding affect also them?
Thx for the explenation to this basic question..
Last edited by Corsal8 on Jul 10, 2014, 6:55:25 PM
I have such a shadow character but his DPS is crappy.

Don't forget to add enfeeble.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
bhavv wrote:
I have such a shadow character but his DPS is crappy.

Don't forget to add enfeeble.

But which is the formula :)??
Should be:

1 * (1 - Evasion_Chance) * (1 - Dodge_Chance) * (1 - Block_Chance)

Enfeeble influences the enemies accuracy thus affecting your evasion chance, it's not a separate modifier.

I think there's a chart somewhere with the accuracy values but they also differ from mob to mob.

If you want to calculate I guess you'll have to take an average value.

Chance to Evade = 1 - Attacker's Accuracy / ( Attacker's Accuracy + (Defender's Evasion / 4) ^ 0.8 )

Accuracy and evasion tables
"
Should be:

1 * (1 - Evasion_Chance) * (1 - Dodge_Chance) * (1 - Block_Chance)

Enfeeble influences the enemies accuracy thus affecting your evasion chance, it's not a separate modifier.

I think there's a chart somewhere with the accuracy values but they also differ from mob to mob.

If you want to calculate I guess you'll have to take an average value.

Chance to Evade = 1 - Attacker's Accuracy / ( Attacker's Accuracy + (Defender's Evasion / 4) ^ 0.8 )

Accuracy and evasion tables

thx..so it's simply the formula that i wrote before??and about spells? Am I right?? I just don't consider evasion and so the formula became (1-chance to block)(1-chance to dodge) and evenually *0.25 too if it's blinded?
"
(1-0.40)*(1-0.46)*(1-0.28)*0.25

Blind will not affect your chance to block/dodge. It will affect the mob's chance to hit. So if he has a 75% chance to hit you with his current accuracy rating then with blind it will become 0.75*0.25 = ~0.18 ~18% chance to hit. If the hit succeed then the rolls for dodge & block are done.

Spells can't miss and then can't be evaded(so blind does nothing), they can be blocked with spell block & dodged with spell dodge.

As blind has nothing to do with accuracy/evasion rating, it is still very efficient for Iron Reflexes users because the maximum chance to hit is 95%, which give a ~24% chance to hit when blinded.
Last edited by Yesu on Jul 10, 2014, 8:10:47 PM
"
Yesu wrote:
"
(1-0.40)*(1-0.46)*(1-0.28)*0.25

Blind will not affect your chance to block/dodge. It will affect the mob's chance to hit. So if he has a 75% chance to hit you with his current accuracy rating then with blind it will become 0.75*0.25 = ~0.18 ~18% chance to hit. If the hit succeed then the rolls for dodge & block are done.

Spells can't miss and then can't be evaded(so blind does nothing), they can be blocked with spell block & dodged with spell dodge.

As blind has nothing to do with accuracy/evasion rating, it is still very efficient for Iron Reflexes users because the maximum chance to hit is 95%, which give a ~24% chance to hit when blinded.

thx for ur explanation.. I've just last doubt.. Why if i use iron reflexes, blinding is still efficent? I mean.. the formula for chance to evade is this: Chance to Evade = 1 - Attacker's Accuracy / ( Attacker's Accuracy + (Defender's Evasion / 4) ^ 0.8 ) ..
If blinding affects the mob's chance to hit, which is proportional to their accuracy, it means that their accuracy is decreaded..If Iron reflexes put 0 to my evasion, the formula gives 0 as chance to evade.. At this point, i got 100% chance to be hitted..

Or is it different and the blind affect directly the chance to hit of the mobs without touching anything else?? This sounds strange.. I cannot evade, but the mob can miss.. Is this correct :)??
Everything has a 5% base evasion unless you take Unwavering Stance (which sets your evasion to 0% in exchange for granting you immunity to stuns). By extension, "chance to hit" is capped at 95% unless US or RT are involved.

You already know how to calculate independent probabilities from dodge and block. Which is good.

But what you need to know is that EVASION IS NOT BASED ON RNG. The percentile in your evasion is not a "chance" at all. It's a guaranteed and distributed RATIO.
Secondly, the tooltip for evasion is an ESTIMATE based on the average monster accuracy for your level.
Thirdly, the formula doesn't explain the whole story. Just ignore it for now, it's not part of the big picture.

What really goes on is that you have a personal entropy score from 0-99 which resets to a random value if you're out of combat for 6 seconds.

Monster "chance to hit" is how much each attack adds to your entropy score. If your score hits 99 or greater, 100 points are subtracted from your score and you are hit and the process starts over again.

Again "chance to hit" is horribly misleading. It's actually entropy "damage" to your entropy "hit points." So when you take a total of 99 or more entropy, you become hit. A monster with 60% chance to hit adds 60 to your entropy score when it attacks. Blind merely drops the "entropy damage" to a quarter of what it was before. I presume that a dodged or block attack forgives the "entropy damage" that any attack would incur.

In truth the tooltip would be a lot clearer if it listed "estimated entropy decay" instead of "chance to hit" and "estimated entropy pool" for "chance to evade."

So at 50% evasion, the score system always insures that it'll be "hit-miss-hit-miss-hit-miss."

50% block still means you can still get "hit-hit-hit-hit-hit." Although it's statistically unlikely.

Again, remember that your starting entropy is reset out of combat and that this part is random. It might start at 0 or at 98. This still means that the theoretical "one shot" really is at the mercy of the RNG gods. But in practice, you took life and resistances and can read broadcasted attacks like a sensible person.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Jul 10, 2014, 10:26:52 PM
Flippers dun dominate PoE. The math geeks do. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
I have been trying to building a shadow around this mechanic and it's pretty fun, it works out better than I thought.

My shadow get about 41% evasion, 40%dodge, 30% spell dodge, 57% block and 28% spell block at lvl70, it's got around 15% chance to be hit by melee and 50% chance to be hit by spells, along with the life leeach from claw passives, its pretty tanky.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info