Ball Lightning

Dont know why,but my post got butchered,anyway bored to write again right now,please somehow remove this post
Bye bye desync!
Last edited by elwindakos on Jul 7, 2014, 5:51:17 AM
"
sidtherat wrote:

- that new staff and BL are meant for eachother..

More like it is the only spell that will work with this staff better than with a rare one.
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
I have ball light doing very well now with 2 totems and self cast. I use high cast speed and knockback. knockback is key to hitting thing many times. I also use cybils to heal myself and totems. The totems can tank almost anything.

I decided to use totems due to change in multi projectiles.

I fire off 12 light balls a second combined.

Im lvl 60 and crushing everything so far.
Peep
i confirm that knockback is amazing with this gem

but - AOE - this is THE key to this skill. not echo, not faster casting (havent used it as lots of small blobs << few very large blobs) not lmp/gmp etc - but AOE. for me it is the gem, witch aoe, templar aoe and carcass jack and that should be awesome
I haven't had the chance to tryout ball lightning yet as im waiting for the new 4month leagues to emerge, i do however have a question.

since ball lightning is a projectile, and does scale with projectile damage, does anger/wrath have any effect on its damage?
You're An Inspiration For Birth Control.
"
Arutam wrote:
I haven't had the chance to tryout ball lightning yet as im waiting for the new 4month leagues to emerge, i do however have a question.

since ball lightning is a projectile, and does scale with projectile damage, does anger/wrath have any effect on its damage?

Projectile damage yes, but not physical projectile damage then anger/wrath do not work because they only give damage to physical attacks...
If aoe is THE thing for BL, then i wonder how will it perform with int stacking Pillar of the Caged God?
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
I haven't made a build around this myself yet and all I've done is test a low level BL with high level supports on my Lvl 89 Ambush self cast char but this is my opinion, while the skill is probably not as strong as Arc (that shit is overtuned and will get the Searing Bond/Flameblast treatment soon) it's definitely better than Spark-tier.

Off the top of my head, this is what I think for supports;
IMO, these are must-have supports for it:

Lightning Penetration
Increased AoE
Spell Echo (if self casting obviously)

These may work:

Added Chaos Damage (this is just an example for my character, one BL hits for about 5 times on the same mob, that's 150% effectiveness) for more reliable damage.
Added Lightning Damage if you want to boost the lightning damage
Elemental Proliferation for obvious reasons
Faster Casting for obvious reasons

These I'm not too sure about:

LMP/GMP: more AoE is nice but I found it reduces the damage too much.
Knockback: sounds good but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Noob traps:

Slower Projectiles: yes I said it. Why are people so obsessed with making a single ball hit a few more times at the cost of significantly reduced range and significantly increased mana cost? Just get a classic caster support like added chaos damage or faster casting if you want more damage without a huge penalty jeez it's no wonder people find this skill shit. It seems like no one in this 7 page thread has ever played a caster before, I'm surprised no one (or maybe I missed it) suggested Added Chaos, it has 30% effectiveness and deals a lot of hits.

I probably won't make my char that uses Ball Lightning in some way until the next 4 month leagues though
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
Last edited by Kenzorz on Jul 7, 2014, 6:48:36 PM
"
Kenzorz wrote:
I haven't made a build around this myself yet and all I've done is test a low level BL with high level supports on my Lvl 89 Ambush self cast char but this is my opinion, while the skill is probably not as strong as Arc (that shit is overtuned and will get the Searing Bond/Flameblast treatment soon) it's definitely better than Spark-tier.

Off the top of my head, this is what I think for supports;
IMO, these are must-have supports for it:

Lightning Penetration
Increased AoE
Spell Echo (if self casting obviously)

These may work:

Added Chaos Damage (this is just an example for my character, one BL hits for about 5 times on the same mob, that's 150% effectiveness) for more reliable damage.
Added Lightning Damage if you want to boost the lightning damage
Elemental Proliferation for obvious reasons
Faster Casting for obvious reasons

These I'm not too sure about:

LMP/GMP: more AoE is nice but I found it reduces the damage too much.
Knockback: sounds good but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Noob traps:

Slower Projectiles: yes I said it. Why are people so obsessed with making a single ball hit a few more times at the cost of significantly reduced range and significantly increased mana cost? Just get a classic caster support like added chaos damage or faster casting if you want more damage without a huge penalty jeez it's no wonder people find this skill shit. It seems like no one in this 7 page thread has ever played a caster before, I'm surprised no one (or maybe I missed it) suggested Added Chaos, it has 30% effectiveness and deals a lot of hits.

I probably won't make my char that uses Ball Lightning in some way until the next 4 month leagues though

Because it does not deal a lot of hits, unless all you fight is Kuduku.

No really, the enemies move towards you, ball moves towards them and fast (slow moving projectile, yeah right), without slower projectiles it hits like 2-3 times. You can pretty much cut the tooltip dps in half and then look how it performs agains arc, that is why this skill is bad in my opinion.

Skills should not require 3-5 casts to kill white mobs, if they do - they suck. And without slower proj it is exactly what this spell needs - filling the screen with balls of lightning that don't attack anything for most of their duration.

The spell was created in a theorycraft vacuum. It sounds insanely powerfull in theory, but in practice it is barely enough and needs ungodly amount of supports, preparation, theorycraft and gear management to be useful. Again, kinda like old arc was.

FB did not receive a good enough treatment, it is still the most powerfull spell in the game. Nefing arc while still keeping FB like it is now will be unfair. Why should arc be nerfed at all? Because it finally performs on the lvl of attack skills? Becaus you can do Atziri with it. Yes, of course all you should run Atziri with should be ele buzzsaw, bore-me-to-death builds.
IGNs
GroovyBeard
JooJooFromTheWell
Last edited by Allnamestaken on Jul 8, 2014, 1:22:15 AM
am i the only one who understood (for open areas or long tunnels) to aim AWAY and have the foes chase me while getting hit via staying near the ball longer? the commenter above me even said the reason himself... different directions/vectors = less time for a point to be in same areas.

the game terraria has a skill exactly like this one (only honestly just one ball at a given time). while that is 2-d game, the rapid shooting ball of lightning is the same, fire in a way that the target is following the orb.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info