9.3 Fears and Hopes

So I read the entire 9.3 article and I figured I would cone here with a few impressions/concerns while they are fresh in my mind.
I believe first impressions are key.

There was mention made that sometime down the line a boss monster who is vein killed the first time will drop considerably better loot than each time after that.

This brings up a 2 thoughts.

• Players in a party, do they all lose that first kill bonus and scramble for the better loot leaving at least one unhappy party member?
• Will this increased loot quality create an influx of "Rush" build characters hoping to rush for the agreed rights to said greater items? Similar to Diablo 2's Hellforge rune drop rights?

I saw critical strikes mentioned as far as a revamp to their algorithms, this is pretty unrelated but I'm going to ask anyway :P

Can we get a greater recognition of a successful critical strike?
Perhaps a slight shake of the screen, or an augmented voice for the strike?
I know with a flicker strike things get hectic and a most common strategy for this skill actually leaves you without watching a HP bar to see if you got one or not.

Also, and I've not heard this even touched upon yet, but are there any plans to up the "fanfare" upon a character gaining a level?
There are times where maybe I had someone over for the night and I dont want to wake her- don't want to wake them so I turn the sound off. Makes for a tough time noticing.
Also I'm sure there are others who play without sound for a variety of reasons too.

Also, I worry now with your mention that certain players will be selected to become alpha status.
I forsee these beta forums turning to the "beta invite discussion" hectic nature of frantic scrambles for a new upgrade to their membership.

Your all doing so well and no matter the outcome I will be with this game and all your hard work and planning for years to come!

Thanks again sorry if my English fails, I had to proof read this many times :)
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?
Last edited by DarkWestern on Sep 30, 2011, 1:33:29 PM
"
DarkWestern wrote:
Also, I worry now with your mention that certain players will be selected to become alpha status.
I forsee these beta forums turning to the "beta invite discussion" hectic nature of frantic scrambles for a new upgrade to their membership.

I can't see that happening. Simply because alpha status is hand picked by GGG. There is no timer or a friend key to grasp. Add to that the beta forums is way too mature relatively to beta invite discussion, No worries here whatsoever.

Your first thought about the boss loot intrigued me, so i'll wait with you to see any light passed on that.
To be honest, I can't see boss loot working too well being handled like that. I have never really been against doing boss runs though, so perhaps I am just biased :)
The nice thing about beta is that you can change mechanics like boss loot as much as necessary to get it working right. I'm curious about it as well.

Over the past few months our alpha numbers have dwindled as people stop playing/posting so it's necessary to refill our ranks periodically. Alpha members get no perks beyond getting access to content sooner (generally in an unfinished state). Chris will be privately contacting a number of beta testers that have shown themselves to be helpful, friendly, and provide intelligent quality feedback. Nothing is going to change so I wouldn't worry about it.
Forum Sheriff
"
tpapp157 wrote:
Nothing is going to change so I wouldn't worry about it.

I really hope so, I feel like as a beta member I am beyond being limited to checking a forum where nothing but begging happens. I am happy with things and I don't want to change :) I would be unhappy to see begging for alpha.

If it happens, it happens, if not, at least your in beta.
Alpha testing is more work than perk.

Bugs are more common
Builds are less balanced
Feedback is more demanded

In the current state of the game, you can play the beta for enjoyment, and still be helpful.

You can go a step further, and chime in with how things feel, or your opinions on balances/numbers.

Or you can really commit, and spend time testing things instead of "having fun". You can spend 8 hours grinding Ledge while 2 other people do the same, JUST to test drop rates with varying Item Quantity numbers.

If you are involved in the alpha, the third option is *expected*. You aren't there to max a character - you're there to come up with ideas on what could break the system, and try to. You're there to look at the new changes, and provide feedback. And you're there to suggest changes with wall-of-text level reasoning behind them.

For those reasons, I'd be surprised to see people who don't belong in the Alpha clamoring to be in it.
I might end up in the Alpha. I think I could help by doing so. It'd be kinda cool to be able to contribute in that way. But I'm just as happy never getting invited to do so, because I don't feel any pressure while I'm just one of a thousand beta testers.
NewDude: I killed Brutus. Now I have no quest. So what now?
Guy: I guess there are people that NEED quests for direction.
Guy2: I always wonder how those people get through life.
GuyMontag: They get married. Wives are like quest-givers.
"
DarkWestern wrote:
So I read the entire 9.3 article and I figured I would cone here with a few impressions/concerns while they are fresh in my mind.
I believe first impressions are key.

There was mention made that sometime down the line a boss monster who is vein killed the first time will drop considerably better loot than each time after that.

This brings up a 2 thoughts.

• Players in a party, do they all lose that first kill bonus and scramble for the better loot leaving at least one unhappy party member?
• Will this increased loot quality create an influx of "Rush" build characters hoping to rush for the agreed rights to said greater items? Similar to Diablo 2's Hellforge rune drop rights?

I saw critical strikes mentioned as far as a revamp to their algorithms, this is pretty unrelated but I'm going to ask anyway :P

Can we get a greater recognition of a successful critical strike?
Perhaps a slight shake of the screen, or an augmented voice for the strike?
I know with a flicker strike things get hectic and a most common strategy for this skill actually leaves you without watching a HP bar to see if you got one or not.

Also, and I've not heard this even touched upon yet, but are there any plans to up the "fanfare" upon a character gaining a level?
There are times where maybe I had someone over for the night and I dont want to wake her- don't want to wake them so I turn the sound off. Makes for a tough time noticing.
Also I'm sure there are others who play without sound for a variety of reasons too.

Your all doing so well and no matter the outcome I will be with this game and all your hard work and planning for years to come!

Thanks again sorry if my English fails, I had to proof read this many times :)

Super disagrees all around.
"
crazynomad wrote:

Why? Or do you just like to appear argumentative without any actual reason or method?
Last edited by DarkWestern on Oct 1, 2011, 4:40:59 PM
"
DarkWestern wrote:
"
crazynomad wrote:

Why? Or do you just like to appear argumentative without any actual reason or method?

Better quit harassing me before I report you. I've had enough of you in game and the forums. Give me some relief.
"
crazynomad wrote:

Better quit harassing me before I report you. I've had enough of you in game and the forums. Give me some relief.

I'm sorry for the confusion man, simply asking for some supporting reasons to your disposition against my views because if you've got a good point I might end up siding with you.

Additionally, we have never met in game and I know this because I have never let my characters names be known, nor have I referenced my forum names in game.
I have never made a character named DarkWestern.

I don't appreciate you trying to make me look bad like that without cause. I simply wanted to know more.

Why can't we all just get along?

---EDIT---

I did realize that if there is a DarkWestern playing, it is NOT me.

Last edited by DarkWestern on Oct 1, 2011, 8:26:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info