Tanky and affordable quill rain CoC! (Updated to 1.2.0)

it's not realy hard to keep the charges up,if you see a pack,1 curse shot,and you keep the charges and clear a lot faster with charges imo
Hi

Would spell echo work instead of fireball?

That would allow to do everything with only 100ish intel, save a few passive points and focus more on cold for increased damage and leech.
8% from kraitlyn in cruel is better than some of the allocated points (frenzy charge). Too bad i realized that too late.

For the gloves, i'm using the new shadow and dust in rampage.
Cheap alternative to maligaro.

So far this build is fantastic.
Almost never have to look for new gear. You can start with less than 60c (tabula chayula quill torment) and still get a very very fast clear speed.
I mean I didn't even bother linking anything, i'm playing with 10-20ish res and levelling fast (dying often when i don't pay attention but when you loose the exp you took in the last 1mn, who cares?).

I started around 30, wasn't sure it would work, it was often "poof all dead" but crit was hard to get.
However now at 55 it's just run poof run poof with surgeon quicksilver always full.

That's my first CoC build, but damn it's so awesome.
Can't wait to see if it competes with my SRS witch in maps.

I think i'll stick with evasion dodge though, and use lots of purities, just to be able to play with all uniques.
I was very skeptic when I first read the title. "A Quillrain? Wouldn't he lose thousands of DPS? This must be some kind of troll!" No, it wasn't. Well done :)
I like many kinds of games 😊
Hi, is my 1st time build Coc and read your guide and i'm following till now (60lvl).i'm very glad with my character and the gameplay.
i already have Tabula Rasa so i decide to follow this guide. So i bought quill rain bow for 2c from trade and the Rat's Nest for 17c only... very cheap i think. I bought also Death's Harp bow for increase critical strike chance and i see it's better from the Quill about the moment (60lvl i remind again), my only problem for now are the low stats in resistances but i solve this in the future by leveling.
Thx again for your great guide.
Forgive me for my med level english :)
Yeah pretty good deal, got mine for twice that price and he's not really better.

Death harp is too slow, you will crit way less than with a quill. Unless i miss something there.
The crit multi must be nice though.

Only bow that can compete is a windripper, but i can't afford it yet to test.

Glad to see people enjoying the build! :)

"
Hi

Would spell echo work instead of fireball?

That would allow to do everything with only 100ish intel, save a few passive points and focus more on cold for increased damage and leech.

Spell Echo only works with manually cast spells. So no.
Hey there, just wanted to give some feedback!

This build is so much fun to play. Nicely done. I'm always looking for 'low cost' builds, because I don't want to invest too much time into trading. So I thought, try this one and it is awesome. The best part is, that I now got I Windripper, because someone in my guild found it and was nice enough to give it to me. My Char is lvl 66 now and is rocking everything! I occasionaly switch chain for Ligthning Ball or Fire Ball with Lightning Ball. I feel like I'm shooting rainbows when using 3 spells. Hadn't this much fun playing PoE in a long time.

Thanks, MauranKilom!

I usually play a Fireball/Fire Trap witch, which is awesome, too. But this is something completly different.

Cheers!

Edit: Usind Herald of Ice with Grace atm, but I'll try to get my hand on the new Herald of Thunder. I think it would be nice to use with the Windripper.
Last edited by Noradne on Oct 23, 2014, 2:19:12 AM
Glad you're having fun Noradne :)

For the record, I've also gotten my hands on a windripper, and getting 90+ crit chance with power charges makes gameplay feel a lot smoother than the original quill rain build.

Windrippers have also been dropping a lot in price in standard (saw a 5l one for 17 ex today!), but I still think this build has its justification as a really sturdy beginner CoC build.

When using a windripper instead of a Quill, you'll obviously gain less life/second from hits, so a big strongpoint of the original build gets toned down. On the other hand, having the reliability of around 100% attack crit chance kind of makes up for it, since you create chilled ground (and knock back) enemies basically every time you attack.

I'll keep this build in here as is, there's enough windripper CoC builds out there already (and one already got featured as BotW), so I don't think there's much to be talked about.

Finally, I'd like to recommend everyone to use a curse on hit setup in a ~5l quill/windripper, similar to what I'm using: Frenzy - GMP - Chain - Curse on Hit - Assassin's Mark
Attacking every pack with this once before mowing it down means you sustain frenzy charges automatically, you curse most of the pack (I'm contemplating using fork instead of chain for making it penetrate deeper into the pack) and as a result you will sustain power charges!

HoT
You can also use CoH with Herald of Thunder (and I'm trying around with it atm), but it doesn't give you frenzy charges, hits only one mob per time... Plus, what are you gonna do with that 5l weapon if you get one?

Have fun experimenting guys :)
"
MauranKilom wrote:
Glad you're having fun Noradne :)
Plus, what are you gonna do with that 5l weapon if you get one?

Dual curse with windscreams!
Those boots are not so bad and anyway it's decent armor piece as you usually need one for RRRR (unless you get very lucky with an evasion chrom roll).

I've been doing split arrow-chain-coh-assassin's mark-temp chains on my ranger. If you want frenzy charges (12% is not so much of a big deal though) you can do assassin's and poachers, less evasion on targets, more life/mana on hit and more flask charges.
Split chain is also way cheaper in mana for those who moved away from thief's torment.

Not sure for herald, as I'm not sure the range is enough with ranged characters.
But for my melee Coc cyclone templar, the passive cursing is just awesome.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info