Snapshotting

"
Xasrai wrote:

No, I understood exactly what you are saying

wrong.

"
Xasrai wrote:
rather than switching out ITEMS, you are talking about switching out gems. By switching out support gems, you are getting a net benefit of gems and versatility that isn't available to any other gem type in the game. Tell me how that's fair?

WHAT "net benefit" of gems?!

READ my posts.

given a 6L, each spectre gets 5 passive gems to use. no matter which way you look at it, there would be a net total of 20 gems/5 per spectre. there is no net gain. 5=5. 20=20. either way, one will have the same amount of spectres with the same amount of support gems.

if i make 4 spectres with the same 5 passives or 4 spectres with different, IT'S THE SAME AMOUNT. 4. WITH UP TO 5 SUPPORTS EACH.

[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Last edited by robmafia on Jun 18, 2014, 3:24:53 AM
"
Exile009 wrote:

You want a diversity of spectres? How bout some REAL diversity by, you know, summoning several different spectres

*facepalm*

THAT'S PRECISELY MY POINT. if they're all going to use the SAME support gems, it makes no sense to vary them. one would be better off using ONE type of spectre that benefits from all support slots.

wow. i'm amazed at how simple concepts appear to be so difficult to understand.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

"
robmafia wrote:
"
Xasrai wrote:

No, I understood exactly what you are saying

wrong.

"
Xasrai wrote:
rather than switching out ITEMS, you are talking about switching out gems. By switching out support gems, you are getting a net benefit of gems and versatility that isn't available to any other gem type in the game. Tell me how that's fair?

WHAT "net benefit" of gems?!

READ my posts.

given a 6L, each spectre gets 5 passive gems to use. no matter which way you look at it, there would be a net total of 20 gems/5 per spectre. there is no net gain. 5=5. 20=20. either way, one will have the same amount of spectres with the same amount of support gems.

When I use Double Strike, I benefit from one set of support gems. To benefit from another set, I must remove unneeded support gems and replace them with others, thus losing the benefit of the original gems. I don't get to have my "AOE double strike right-click" and my "Single-target double strike middle-click" using only a single 6L item. Your spectres don't lose those benefits, and thus have a 'net benefit' from changing and stacking support gems that I can't do. It's obviously not what GGG want, and they are taking steps to change it. Deal with it.

Edit: To reiterate, what you want isn't fair for the majority of players who don't get these same benefits. It may suck for minion 'diversity', but it was always an unintended consequence of the snapshotting mechanic that they have wanted to fix for months.
Last edited by Xasrai on Jun 18, 2014, 3:33:05 AM
"
Xasrai wrote:
"
Klimentiy wrote:

May I answer?

He is talking about build diversity. The game would be more exciting if one could have various spectres instead of being forced into having only same ones. Changing gems allows for spectre diversity, simple as that.

Hi. First thing, I agree that this will see a decrease in the 'diversity' of peoples spectres at any given point in time. My point was whether gem juggling was fair, when compared to any other build, which cannot benefit from this technique.

Basically, for spectres, people want to have their cake and eat it too. No other build allows me to have a degen aura and an impenetrable shield (as an example) at the low cost of a single Gem in a 4/5/6L.

I don't get to have both my single target DPS double strike and my AOE double strike equipped in the same 6L item. Why should summoners get that option with spectres?

Edit: Spacing

Yeah you definitely have a point here. I have to agree with you. But from diversity point of view, end game summoners will have a harder time and more mundane game-play being forced into having only one type of spectres at a time.

IGN: ___I_Fink_U_Freeky___

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Snapshotting is a bit of a lose-lose mechanic. Players using it have to go through tedious setup to make their builds work, time they should be spending slaying monsters and having fun. Players who don't use snapshotting often feel they are underpowered by comparison. They're usually right.

You can change snapshotting for trading and this paragraph has even more sense. Will trading be fixed too?
"
Klimentiy wrote:
"
Xasrai wrote:
"
Klimentiy wrote:

May I answer?

He is talking about build diversity. The game would be more exciting if one could have various spectres instead of being forced into having only same ones. Changing gems allows for spectre diversity, simple as that.

Hi. First thing, I agree that this will see a decrease in the 'diversity' of peoples spectres at any given point in time. My point was whether gem juggling was fair, when compared to any other build, which cannot benefit from this technique.

Basically, for spectres, people want to have their cake and eat it too. No other build allows me to have a degen aura and an impenetrable shield (as an example) at the low cost of a single Gem in a 4/5/6L.

I don't get to have both my single target DPS double strike and my AOE double strike equipped in the same 6L item. Why should summoners get that option with spectres?

Yeah you definitely have a point here. I have to agree with you. But from diversity point of view, end game summoners will have a harder time and more mundane game-play being forced into having only one type of spectres at a time.

I agree on the diversity point. Obviously GGG have taken their time to determine exactly the results of making these changes. In this case, making one change for the greater good brings about an unfortunate situation of reducing the diversity of used spectres at a single time. Let's be honest, though, Summoners used to have it worse. At one point only Flame Sentinels were considered to be good enough to use as Spectres anyway, due to their timid AI. They just didn't have enough tools at their disposal to actually make the difference. Things are quite positive in general for summoners compared to back then.
"
Xasrai wrote:

When I use Double Strike, I benefit from one set of support gems. To benefit from another set, I must remove unneeded support gems and replace them with others, thus losing the benefit of the original gems. I don't get to have my "AOE double strike right-click" and my "Single-target double strike middle-click" using only a single 6L item. Your spectres don't lose those benefits, and thus have a 'net benefit' from changing and stacking support gems that I can't do. It's obviously not what GGG want, and they are taking steps to change it. Deal with it.

Edit: To reiterate, what you want isn't fair for the majority of players who don't get these same benefits. It may suck for minion 'diversity', but it was always an unintended consequence of the snapshotting mechanic that they have wanted to fix for months.

this literally makes no sense.

you act as if spectre a benefits from spectre b's gems that weren't used for spectre a.

it doesn't.

you keep saying there's a net gain. FACT: THERE ISN'T.

the spectres should get the benefits of their own support gems - SAME AS YOUR DOUBLE STRIKE.

if you double strike with multistrike, it gets the bonus. if you change it to melee splash, it... get this, gets the melee splash bonus.

it's the SAME for the spectres. they're not getting anything additional. jesus.
[Removed by Support]

Last edited by robmafia on Jun 18, 2014, 3:44:12 AM
Balance in for the win:)I'm glad i'll be back from my holiday just in time for the change:)
Always be good to others you gain nothing by being mean!
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Snapshotting is a bit of a lose-lose mechanic. Players using it have to go through tedious setup to make their builds work, time they should be spending slaying monsters and having fun. Players who don't use snapshotting often feel they are underpowered by comparison. They're usually right.

Isn't this also true for trading and flipping?
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
"
Xasrai wrote:
"
Klimentiy wrote:
"
Xasrai wrote:
[

I agree on the diversity point. Obviously GGG have taken their time to determine exactly the results of making these changes. In this case, making one change for the greater good brings about an unfortunate situation of reducing the diversity of used spectres at a single time. Let's be honest, though, Summoners used to have it worse. At one point only Flame Sentinels were considered to be good enough to use as Spectres anyway, due to their timid AI. They just didn't have enough tools at their disposal to actually make the difference. Things are quite positive in general for summoners compared to back then.

Yeah last time I played summoner was during closed beta and to be completely realistic summoners came very long way and got a ton of improvements since then... I prefer seeing GGG taking steps forward, not the other way around...

TBH, I do not even care for this current topic, I just got sucked into good ol' forum drama. Personally I am waiting to see FPS lag fixed with Cast on Crit and summons like skellies... The game has far more urgent issues than snapshotting IMO.

I am out, good night everyone. See ya, in August.

IGN: ___I_Fink_U_Freeky___

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info