Any way to see Damage Done?

"
Repeats wrote:
From what I remember, there will not be a floating damage ticker in PoE. My opinion on the matter: it adds to the already massive clutter of mobs and particle effects that it would take away from the game.

that was their stance, a dev posted that they didnt really want them, but would make it an option, however since that post was made, i think their stance has changed, there are afaik, no options to add floating dmg numbers, its just too cluttered..

maybe that will change at one point, far down the road, when they're all sitting at lunch going "what else can we add to the game?".. but i wouldnt expect to see them anytime soon
Things with "increased" and "decreased" in the tooltip are additive ... where as "More" or "Less" are multiplicative ...
What I would like it for is to test out different builds. Combo of spells ect. get the actual numbers not just have it be a guessing game. I find that really fun to do. I dont have lag issues and I dont have a cluster fk on my screen regardless. So maybe an option would be nice. :D
Still waiting for the option.
"
Tithonus wrote:

Please explain to me why you think it is necessary to have floating damage numbers, and how it helps gameplay. I can tell you why I believe that it doesn't help. It clutters the screen and does not mesh well with the art direction, ruins immersion, and can be distracting.

Self-limiting is not a bad thing. This game isn't everyone's cup of tea. I would much rather see GGG focus on expanding the game and adding more content than wasting time on inane features like floating damage numbers, even as an option.

For testing purposes. It could be helpful for newbies trying to check what support gems actually work with what. For example: I for the longest time didn't realize bear trap didn't work with iron will or spell damage because of the confusing tooltip. Now if I had some sort of accurate damage indicator, I would have realized it sooner. Instead, I had to gauge the approx damages from looking at life bars to verify if some things work or not.

I personally would turn it off when im just playing normally because I agree I don't like the useless clutter. However someone else might see damage numbers fulfilling because they have a fetish for numbers popping on their screen.
ign: littleleaper
I want to see how much HP my enemies have - and that would be enough.
IRON MAN
It would be very helpful as some things you can't see on the tooltip. For example, I thought melee damage nodes and STR bonus affect lightning strike projectiles damage as the skill description clearly states 'projectiles do 70% of original attack damage', well they don't. And if I'd been able to see the numbers it would be clear as day.
Many skills and passives just aren't as clear as one would have liked, seeing how much damage you do would prevent many misconceptions.

And there are many games with an informative and understated floating text that doesn't clutter the screen, no reason not to have that as an option.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
In Guild Wars 2, there's actually what's effectively its own Chat channel, entitled "Combat"

Which, if you turn it on, says things like "You dealt 12 damage with [Default Attack]!" or "The [Creature] dealt 22 damage!" and "You are poisoned!"

I'd quite like one such feature to be implemented, as it would help me sort through all the clutter, between looking at the top left of my screen to determine which ailments and effects are my own frenzy charges and move buffs, or if that one viper strike landed on my dude with Acrobatics.
Not to mention gauging how much more useful my Heavy Strike is agains the mob with "Resists Elemental" and isn't falling so quickly to my Glacial Hammer.

And given how chat channels currently work, anyone who doesn't want it could turn it off.

Why am I wearing a heavy belt if I haven't got any pants?
Last edited by Milchut on Apr 12, 2013, 11:42:27 AM
Ignorance is bliss. Many players have grown attached to FCT (Floating Combat Text) since their proliferation in numerous MMOs. They're no doubt useful, and irreplaceable in certain situations.

I don't know how people want to be forced to look everywhere but the center of their screen during combat. You have your health at the bottom left, mana at the bottom right and your character in the middle. On larger monitors (god forbid multiple monitors) it would often be better to see FCT near the action so you're better able to react.

A good FCT system would have the options for the following:

Critical Strikes
...Normal Damage Dealt
Critical Damage Taken
...Normal Damage Taken
Mana/Life on hit Stolen From you
Mana/Life on hit Stolen By you
Instant (not over time) health/Mana effects
Status effects (i.e.: Frozen! or Chilled!)
Curses (Temporal Chains! or Enfeeble!)

Additionally, with check marks to change the color of the text to a static color (white, or green for readability) or based on the type of damage (white - phys, red - fire, etc). Again, for readability and preference, we should be able to slightly change the size as well.

Personally, I'm very interested in knowing exactly how hard I get hit in most circumstances. Right now, over skype, we talk in % of my life gone in some time frame. I'd like to know with a little more precision exactly how hard rares/bosses are hitting me, and maybe more importantly, if it was a crit. I have no idea how often I'm being crit, yet I have two passives to reduce crit damage taken on my Mara.

Other people would likely benefit from this system for theory crafting purposes.

"
Tabx wrote:

I don't know how people want to be forced to look everywhere but the center of their screen during combat. You have your health at the bottom left, mana at the bottom right and your character in the middle. On larger monitors (god forbid multiple monitors) it would often be better to see FCT near the action so you're better able to react.

Ironically...I'd like to be able to move around and customize the display.
I talk about Guild Wars too much but...

at least in original Guild Wars, all of the hardcore players I knew had dragged the minimap to hover over their character (since it would always be centered) and often stretched their HP and mana bars one way or another, depending on which one they needed to keep an eye on more (caster would stretch the Energy bar across the screen, for example, and HP could take up less space.)

I'm not sure how feasible this is in PoE, but I could imagine there being some value in running the XP bar along the right side of the screen, or entirely minimizing/removing the mana globe when you've taken Blood Magic.
Why am I wearing a heavy belt if I haven't got any pants?
Last edited by Milchut on Apr 12, 2013, 2:16:57 PM
"
Milchut wrote:
...I'd like to be able to move around and customize the display.

i wouldnt hold your breath on a customizable UI.. devs have said in the past that the UI wasnt designed with customization in mind, adding that now just wouldnt work
Things with "increased" and "decreased" in the tooltip are additive ... where as "More" or "Less" are multiplicative ...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info