[2.0] THOR'S RAINBOWNUKE: DO ALL MAPS, UBER ATZIRI, AND EXPLOSIONS!

Wouldn't Herald of Ice and Herald of Thunder add some nice damage worth getting?
"
VixTrader wrote:
Wouldn't Herald of Ice and Herald of Thunder add some nice damage worth getting?

Herald of Ice doesn't add enough DPS to be worth the gem slot.

Herald of Thunder might be worth it if you can work it in; I couldn't with my variant.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
For me Herald of Ice adds about 15% to the listed DPS on arc. I don't know for sure, but it seems that should be the same as the damage boost it adds when proc'd by Mjolner. I don't yet have a Herald of Thunder, but I'm sure it's even more. If combined they add 35% or so to your final spell damage, that seems well worth it to me. Of course for your build you'd have to get rid of those empower or enhance gems you use. I'm sure the Heralds add way more benefit to the build then those gems do, and a lot cheaper also...

When I get a HoT, I'll be using:

Reduced + Purity of Fire + Ice + Light
Reduced + Discipine + Vitality + Haste
Reduced + Herald of Thunder + Herald of Ice + Blood Rage
CWDT set up and Mjolner set up for the 3 links.
Last edited by VixTrader on Nov 4, 2014, 12:36:22 AM
Whats the best method for solo normal atziri runs? What potion setup is best to run? I can clear atziri with some help, but I'm interested in doing it solo soon. Should I swap out lightning pen. for life leech?

Heres my gear, I'm currently sitting a 6.1K ES, but im waiting till I hit 7k ES to start farming atziri.

"
iSo1iD wrote:
Whats the best method for solo normal atziri runs? What potion setup is best to run? I can clear atziri with some help, but I'm interested in doing it solo soon. Should I swap out lightning pen. for life leech?

Heres my gear, I'm currently sitting a 6.1K ES, but im waiting till I hit 7k ES to start farming atziri.

I'm soloing since lvl 80 (6k ES).
For mobs, double vaal and trio, i'm using:
Spoiler

For atziri:
Spoiler

Vaal no problems, kill first and then the other.
For trio, i kill the cycloner first, (vaal discipline here) and then red guy, and then the girl.
Atziri, just push flask when needed, double flamebast = rumi's + ruby flask. Vaal discipline if your ES is low in important moments.
"
VixTrader wrote:
For me Herald of Ice adds about 15% to the listed DPS on arc. I don't know for sure, but it seems that should be the same as the damage boost it adds when proc'd by Mjolner. I don't yet have a Herald of Thunder, but I'm sure it's even more. If combined they add 35% or so to your final spell damage, that seems well worth it to me. Of course for your build you'd have to get rid of those empower or enhance gems you use. I'm sure the Heralds add way more benefit to the build then those gems do, and a lot cheaper also...

When I get a HoT, I'll be using:

Reduced + Purity of Fire + Ice + Light
Reduced + Discipine + Vitality + Haste
Reduced + Herald of Thunder + Herald of Ice + Blood Rage
CWDT set up and Mjolner set up for the 3 links.

I only got about a 3% DPS boost from Herald of Ice when I was using it. I can't see how you'd achieve a 15% damage boost with it.

As for my build in particular, I'd personally rather have the extra 1% fire/lightning resist and extra 300 ES than a few extra % DPS.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
"
3portas wrote:
"
iSo1iD wrote:

Spoiler

For atziri:
Spoiler

For trio, i kill the cycloner first, (vaal discipline here) and then red guy, and then the girl.
Atziri, just push flask when needed, double flamebast = rumi's + ruby flask. Vaal discipline if your ES is low in important moments.

Thanks for the advice, the vaal discipline really bailed me out of a particularly risky spot during the Atziri split phase. I swapped my curse on hit and elemental weakness for conc effect and vaal discipline. However, i didnt use conc effect with discharge as lightning pen was more than good enough. I'm so happy that I could get my first solo Atziri kill at level 73, and without any deaths incurred.
"
iSo1iD wrote:
"
3portas wrote:
"
iSo1iD wrote:

Spoiler

For atziri:
Spoiler

Thanks for the advice, the vaal discipline really bailed me out of a particularly risky spot during the Atziri split phase. I swapped my curse on hit and elemental weakness for conc effect and vaal discipline. However, i didnt use conc effect with discharge as lightning pen was more than good enough. I'm so happy that I could get my first solo Atziri kill at level 73, and without any deaths incurred.

A correction:
I swap lightning penetration for conc. effect on bosses. I like it.
The damage boost from Herald of Ice that I'm referring to is like I said, on screen DPS. Just holding a random wand, putting the arc gem in it, the DPS on screen is 2495. Cast Herald of Ice and it goes up to 2840. That's 13.83% higher. (char still lvl 68 and not finished of course so maybe that affects it)

Like I said, I'm not sure if that's how the actual mechanics of a proc'd Mjolner hit goes, but I can't imagine why it would be different than self cast as far as damage calculations. So yeah, it seems that Ice does add quite a bit of damage. And why wouldn't it?

Lvl 20 Arc - 38 - 726 = 344 average
Lvl 20 Ice - 53 - 70 = 61.50 average

61.50 / 344 = 17.87%

Add in the 79.50 average from Thunder, and that seems pretty massive to me.

I'm not saying it all translates directly to damage but it has to be a whole lot more than the 3% you're saying you got. It's gotta be way more than that. And like I said, thunder is even better.

It just seems to me that there's enough of a damage boost there to work both Thunder and Ice into the build. Where else can you get 61.50 + 79.50 extra base damage to your spells. That's massive !
Last edited by VixTrader on Nov 4, 2014, 11:27:45 AM
"
VixTrader wrote:
The damage boost from Herald of Ice that I'm referring to is like I said, on screen DPS. Just holding a random wand, putting the arc gem in it, the DPS on screen is 2495. Cast Herald of Ice and it goes up to 2840. That's 13.83% higher. (char still lvl 68 and not finished of course so maybe that affects it)

Like I said, I'm not sure if that's how the actual mechanics of a proc'd Mjolner hit goes, but I can't imagine why it would be different than self cast as far as damage calculations. So yeah, it seems that Ice does add quite a bit of damage. And why wouldn't it?

Lvl 20 Arc - 38 - 726 = 344 average
Lvl 20 Ice - 53 - 70 = 61.50 average

61.50 / 344 = 17.87%

Add in the 79.50 average from Thunder, and that seems pretty massive to me.

I'm not saying it all translates directly to damage but it has to be a whole lot more than the 3% you're saying you got. It's gotta be way more than that. And like I said, thunder is even better.

It just seems to me that there's enough of a damage boost there to work both Thunder and Ice into the build. Where else can you get 61.50 + 79.50 extra base damage to your spells. That's massive !

I did some experimenting after acquiring this bad boy. (The 20/20 Herald of Thunder in shield)

Comparing 20/20 herald of ice and thunder. The thunder one adds a really strong amount of damage, raising my dps quite substantially (almost 20% damage boost to arc). Herald of ice adds a moderate amount of damage, but nowhere near as much as herald of thunder, especially since the ice damage bonus from having quality doesnt scale very well, as the build has little cold damage to begin with. Stack both together and the dps boost is insanely good, but the problem is, as tackle70 mentions, its wasting gem slots.

To clarify why I feel that way, its because we arent making full use of the gem's effect. In the case of herald of thunder, the lightning strike that triggers after killing an enemy occurs on a semi-frequent rate and deals moderate amounts of damage, partially due to the fact that enemies often die before the shock effect from arc applies. Yet, the significant dps boost from HoT alone make it somewhat worth the gem slot. HoI on the other hand, adds much less damage and its shatter damage effect rarely even occurs, hence deteriorating its overall effectiveness.

To run HoT, i can sacrifice purity of elements and still have capped resists, but with HoI, i must sacrifice haste or purity of ice, which means i either lose dps/undercap resists. In the end, its just not worth running both Heralds (unless you somehow find a way), but if you can manage your resists well enough, then I highly recommend swapping purity of elements for HoT (although you don't really lose anything if you choose to have more elemental curse resistance by using purity of elements to overcap resistances instead).
Last edited by iSo1iD on Nov 4, 2014, 12:19:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info