[Official] WINE info thread

"
ferggren wrote:

I found that "UseGLSL"="disabled" remove fps drops for me

Best hint ever!!!

Thanks a lot. Have been playing now for 3h now with my bro and it works like a charm without these sudden fps drops.

In case nobody has already mention it, you can easily set this reg value with winetricks:

winetricks glsl=disabled
Last edited by skython on Jan 29, 2013, 6:43:48 PM
So, it seems that if I'm using Wine 1.4, PoE sees my GPU as a Radeon HD 3200 series, but if I use Wine 1.5.21 (I know it has issues), PoE sees it as a 7800 Series (like in Windows). Same drivers too. Performance between 1.4 and 1.5 didn't seem any different really, and 1.5.21 had some weird broken shaders.

Wine 1.4 seems to have a broken map for me.

Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
I can confirm that 1.5.21 with usp10 installed worked without issue. I played for hours and there was no crashing (besides the server crashes that were going on).

Also, you CANNOT just set usp10 as an override. I tested that and it does not work. You must install it via 'winetricks usp10' which was a little interesting on my version of PlayOnLinux and my system.

winetricks actually doesn't work on my 64-bit system due to the way the wine install is. If I run wine not through PlayOnLinux, I only get a strange dialog about how my wine is really just a placeholder and if I want the i386 version, I have to do a bunch of multi-arch stuff, which doesn't work and says that by installing wine:i386, I'll actually end up removing my PlayOnLinux and winetricks and other things.

I was able to get it to work however by setting up my /usr/bin/wine as a symlink temporarily to my installed PlayOnLinux 64-bit 1.5.21 version at ~/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-amd64/1.5.21/wine

So after I set up the symlink, I was able to run a shell from PlayOnLinux and run winetricks usp10 which made it download something and install it. It worked great.

Hopefully this information helps someone else. I'm currently running 1.5.21 now with the usp10 install beautifully.
Just a hint for Wine users out there (sorry if it's been mentioned before, haven't been through all 40 pages). I found that the ability to resize the window and have POE adjust like in Windows breaks things. The screen stretches and the mouse input becomes relative to the original resolution so mouse input doesn't line up. This is nice in Windows for users who don't want fullscreen window, but still want the game occupying maximum screen space while keeping window elements.

It's quite long so I'll stick it in spoiler tags:
Spoiler

My solution:
1) Start POE and use Windowed mode as normal. Set any other settings you want before proceeding.
2) Maximize the window (on your preferred monitor if you have different toolbar layouts)
3) Hit "PrintScreen" and open the resulting image in GIMP.
4) Using GIMP you can determine exactly how many pixels your toolbars + window decoration occupy. In the bottom left there is a coordinate indicator so use this to determine how many pixels above or below your monitor res the bars end.

E.G In my case I have 2 monitors running XFCE at 1920x1080 each. I have 1 toolbar/panel at the top of each monitor. Each panel is 24px tall + 22px for the window decoration leaving me with 1034px of vertical space.

NOTE: You may also need to take into account the horizontal window borders as well as for users of ubuntu unity or just vertical panels you'll need to take those into account. In XFCE however, if the window size matches the monitor res, it WILL drop the size borders.

5) Open up your POE "production_Config.ini" file located in your Wine "My Docs\My Games\Path of Exile" directory.

6) Modify the following lines:

resolution_height=<Your max usable height determined in step 4>
resolution_width=<Your monitor width>

E.G Mine looks like this:
resolution_height=1034
resolution_width=1920

7) Save the file and change it to read permissions only using gui or "chmod 444 production_Config.ini". You must do this as any accidental resize of the window will reset the config back to 0x0 resolution.

8) Fire up POE and tada! Max window size without borderless window. Just drag it into place if you have multiple monitors. Also, don't resize the thing or change your panel/toolbar sizes :P.

Here's a screenshot of what my second monitor looks like (ignore the horrible tearing, side-effect of the WM screenshot function with openGL apps, this doesn't happen ingame):
http://s20.beta.photobucket.com/user/ViperKnight/media/Screenshot-POE-Window_zps3c45d3fd.png.html

This can also be achieved by making Wine run in a "virtual desktop" of the same size and setting POE to full-screen. This would save the chmod of the config file (allowing you to change it), but I've found it stops POE being window aware and stopping things like "mute when not in focus" from working. Mine also grabs the mouse pointer, rather than letting me move between windows freely which I prefer. Task switching also becomes problematic some times for me, causing POE to freeze sometimes.

My Setup is
Xubuntu 12.04.1 64bit using PlayOnLinux POE script (wine 1.4)
Nvidia Geforce GT440 (driver 310.14 in NV TwinView mode)
GTK/Window theme is MediterraneanNight with Faenza-Dark Icons for any interested.
Last edited by Stewge on Jan 29, 2013, 9:37:39 PM
"
ferggren wrote:

Where exactly do i set this variable, i tried from inside playonlinux by highlighting poe and clicking settings, going to configure, then display and setting GLSL Support to disabled,but it just seems to break the game, black background behind login screen, and just not loading at all...
Last edited by NuCl34R on Jan 29, 2013, 10:18:02 PM
"
NuCl34R wrote:
"
ferggren wrote:

Where exactly do i set this variable, i tried from inside playonlinux by highlighting poe and clicking settings, going to configure, then display and setting GLSL Support to disabled,but it just seems to break the game, black background behind login screen, and just not loading at all...

Same issue for me (broken shaders with GLSL disabled). Can't even actually sign into my character (crash due to Vertex Shader)
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
"
skython wrote:
"
ferggren wrote:

Best hint ever!!!

Thanks a lot. Have been playing now for 3h now with my bro and it works like a charm without these sudden fps drops.

In case nobody has already mention it, you can easily set this reg value with winetricks:

winetricks glsl=disabled

Can you post winetricks list-installed from your PoE prefix ? also wine version, GPU and driver type/version.

When I try that setting, I get black 3D and only the 2D overlay works (menus, loading screen).
"
haplo602 wrote:
"
skython wrote:
"
ferggren wrote:

Best hint ever!!!

winetricks glsl=disabled

Can you post winetricks list-installed from your PoE prefix ? also wine version, GPU and driver type/version.

When I try that setting, I get black 3D and only the 2D overlay works (menus, loading screen).

Same here. I'm using wine 1.5.6 via PlayOnLinux, with ATI proprietary driver v12.6. (HD 4700)

Game loads, only shows 2D UI elements, and the loading screen to Lioneye's Watch, and then it hangs.

Here's the debugger log from PlayOnLinux:

Spoiler
[01/29/13 16:29:43] - Running wine-1.5.6 --version (Working directory : /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux)
wine-1.5.6

PlayOnLinux logfile
-------------------
Date: 01/29/13 16:29:43

> PlayOnLinux Version
> uname -a
Linux xxx 3.2.0-36-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 8 21:44:52 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> lsb_release -a

> wine --version
wine-1.5.6
> POL_WINEVERSION
> WINEPREFIX
/home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux//wineprefix/pathofexile
> Distribution
Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
> glxinfo \| grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes
> glxinfo \| grep renderer
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4770
> OpenGL libs (Direct rendering testing)
32bits direct rendering is enabled
64bits direct rendering is enabled

[01/29/13 16:30:44] - Running wine-1.5.6 cmd /c echo %ProgramFiles% (Working directory : /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux)
C:\Program Files
[01/29/13 16:31:16] - Running wine-1.5.6 msiexec /i /home/[user name]/Desktop/PathOfExileInstaller.msi (Working directory : /)
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
fixme:msi:ControlEvent_SpawnWaitDialog Doing Nothing
err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144
err:setupapi:do_file_copyW Unsupported style(s) 0x144
[01/29/13 16:33:30] - Running wine-1.5.6 Client.exe (Working directory : /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/pathofexile/drive_c/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile)
[01/29/13 16:35:28] - Running wine-1.5.6 Client.exe (Working directory : /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/pathofexile/drive_c/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile)
AL lib: pulseaudio.c:331: PulseAudio returned minreq > tlength/2; expect break up
[01/29/13 16:37:39] - Running wine-1.5.6 Client.exe (Working directory : /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/pathofexile/drive_c/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile)
AL lib: pulseaudio.c:331: PulseAudio returned minreq > tlength/2; expect break up
[01/29/13 16:43:17] - Running wine-1.5.6 winecfg (Working directory : /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux)
ALSA lib conf.c:3314:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
[01/29/13 22:05:04] - Running wine-1.5.6 regedit /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux//tmp/regkey.reg (Working directory : /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux)
[01/29/13 22:05:04] - Content of /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux//tmp/regkey.reg
-----------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"UseGLSL"="disabled"
-----------
[01/29/13 22:05:33] - Running wine-1.5.6 Client.exe (Working directory : /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/pathofexile/drive_c/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile)
[01/29/13 22:09:01] - Running wine-1.5.6 Client.exe (Working directory : /home/[user name]/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/pathofexile/drive_c/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile)
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x110000 0 0x32fdc8 4
err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init The GLSL shader backend has been disabled. You get to keep all the pieces if it breaks.
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e780,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
err:d3d:context_create wglSwapIntervalEXT failed to set swap interval 0 for context 0x18d148, last error 0x591
fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 stub
fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 53 (SPI_SETTOGGLEKEYS)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 51 (SPI_SETFILTERKEYS)
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset TCI failing on 20000000
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 20000000 file = (null)
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 20000000 file = (null)
....... (hundreds of these)
.......(more of same).....
....(lots)....
fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code e0000001 flags 0 addr 0x7b83bca2

I tried the setting via winetricks on a self compiled 1.4 previously, same thing.

Game works sort of OK with this setting at default. Only major problem is I crash instantly if anything casts burning arrow, so can't get past that zone in Act 1.

I suspect people with success with the setting are using Nvidia, not ATI.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jan 30, 2013, 1:22:23 AM
I just tested it, and it seemed to work a bit better. I can't be sure though.

For setting the registry key manually, it's HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\UseGLSL . You may need to make keys / values if they aren't there.

I'm using a self compiled version of 1.5.6 (with no patches applied) and have no issue with crashes on any skills. For those of you with crashes on those skills, what version of OpenAL are you using? I've got 1.14, and I seem to remember it being an issue with an earlier version (read earlier in this thread about that).

Specs:

Spoiler

Wine version 1.5.6

winetricks list-installed (more than I remember installing):
d3dx9_42
dirac
ffdshow
gecko120
icodecs
l3codecx
mfc42
msvcirt
ogg
python26
vcrun2008
vcrun6sp6
vcrun6
xvid

GPU: Nvidia 250 GTS
Driver: 310.14 Proprietary Drivers
"
apocolypse600 wrote:
I just tested it, and it seemed to work a bit better. I can't be sure though.

For setting the registry key manually, it's HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D\UseGLSL . You may need to make keys / values if they aren't there.

I'm using a self compiled version of 1.5.6 (with no patches applied) and have no issue with crashes on any skills. For those of you with crashes on those skills, what version of OpenAL are you using? I've got 1.14, and I seem to remember it being an issue with an earlier version (read earlier in this thread about that).

Specs:

Spoiler

Wine version 1.5.6

winetricks list-installed (more than I remember installing):
d3dx9_42
dirac
ffdshow
gecko120
icodecs
l3codecx
mfc42
msvcirt
ogg
python26
vcrun2008
vcrun6sp6
vcrun6
xvid

GPU: Nvidia 250 GTS
Driver: 310.14 Proprietary Drivers

so basicaly wine on Nvidia works around the DisableGLSL somehow and uses an Nvidia shading extensions and not ARB shaders as is the case for ATI/AMD ???

because when I disable GLSL on ATI/AMD, I am no longer DX9 compliant since I cannot use shader model 3 translations.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info