Client-server Action Synchronisation

"
Fusion_Power wrote:
It would already help if the server just stops the "simulation" suddenly when desync is detected so players don't die "offscreen" while not be able to react. The big problem is, that the Server just continues and doesn't care if the client desyncs, a very bad behaviour imho.
GGG could also add more servers to reduce the desync a little bit without changing the netcode completely.
Or they could made a pure "server only" gamplay where the client just shows what's going on and the servers approve every action first before execute them (like in Worl of Tanks).
All these methods would still be save and do not raise the chance of cheating. No clue why GGG does not try anything in that direction. I suspect they did not even touched the Netcode in years. :(

A desync is when the client gets out of sync with the server and the only way this can happen is if the client incorrectly parses data received from the server or doesn't request data from the server in a timely manner, allowing the desync to prolong for an absurd amount of time before getting corrected.

The former can't be fixed without introducing input lag where the player issues a command and sees it carried out after a period of time has elapsed (Usually the delay lasts as long as their latency). The developers have said they refuse to use this model as it will make the gameplay feel unresponsive and sluggish, and I agree with them that that model isn't suitable unless your target audience is primarily people who attain a latency of 100ms or less.

In the latter case there is no way for the server to detect when the client is out of sync because there is no general communication between them to allow that to happen (There are now some specific cases where this transpires though) and if there was such communication than the resources would be better utilized by having the client resynchronize with the server more often instead.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Feb 25, 2015, 11:42:21 PM
"
I feel like so much QQ could have been prevented if only this information had been communicated to the community a bit earlier.
No it wouldn't, people would just start saying "but you don't say what exactly what that improvements are, therefore there won't be any - as always!" or "but there is no date for a4 release so it is just another "very soon" excuse". You'll see they will now :)
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
you need a better anti cheat system
Desync makes any movement build total crap
good one..
"
silumit wrote:
"
I feel like so much QQ could have been prevented if only this information had been communicated to the community a bit earlier.
No it wouldn't, people would just start saying "but you don't say what exactly what that improvements are, therefore there won't be any - as always!" or "but there is no date for a4 release so it is just another "very soon" excuse". You'll see they will now :)

1. Cynic.

2. Those people were porbably going to QQ no matter what GGG did or said. I think there are probably a whole other category of people who QQ'd because of the lack of good communication/feedback about the issue from GGG.
"
Chris wrote:

Wait until data arrives back from the server before doing anything. This is a very common strategy in RTS and MOBA games. If you click to move, the unit will only start moving once the server says so, which is 50-250ms later. If you are close to the server, you'll quickly get used to the lag and everything feels pretty good. If you're far away (New Zealand, for example), it feels like you're playing drunk. Every time you issue an order, nothing happens for quarter of a second. This does not work well for Action RPGs - the immediacy and pace of combat requires that actions start to execute instantly.

servers exist all over the world (Texas, Amsterdam, Singapore and Australia)

So basically every person close to servers would feel great just like in sc2? pls do.
If servers are ALL OVER THE WORLD this shouldnt be any FUCKING issue then, gj ggg seems this is solved.
Last edited by Goguser on Mar 18, 2015, 11:37:13 AM
I just found this thread now & after I read everything Chris said I get that the reason this thing happen so often is due to this server/client setup GGG use because they want to offer a hardcore experience that no cheat occur & in order to have complex mechanics like block, hit/miss (accuracy) etc but I wonder at this point, is PoE the only game that use this server/client setup? no other online game work that way? & if there is other games that work the same way is the prob with desync on those games so serious like in PoE? also some one write that the prob is so huge because GGG doesn't want to spent serious money to reduce it, because according to his opinion it's something money can solve, what others have to say here? I'm not expert but if some one have knowledge about this stuff I would like to hear what you have to say, is this indeed a problem money can solve? even if we are talking for money GGG can't afford to pay, I just want to know.
Last edited by rpgmaniac on Mar 19, 2015, 6:27:35 AM
"
rpgmaniac wrote:
I just found this thread now & after I read everything Chris said I get that the reason this thing happen so often is due to this server/client setup GGG use because they want to offer a hardcore experience that no cheat occur & in order to have complex mechanics like block, hit/miss (accuracy) etc but I wonder at this point, is PoE the only game that use this server/client setup? no other online game work that way? & if there is other games that work the same way is the prob with desync on those games so serious like in PoE? also some one write that the prob is so huge because GGG doesn't want to spent serious money to reduce it, because according to his opinion it's something money can solve, what others have to say here? I'm not expert but if some one have knowledge about this stuff I would like to hear what you have to say, is this indeed a problem money can solve? even if we are talking for money GGG can't afford to pay, I just want to know.

The issue is because of the game mechanics that have been implemented. Stun and the chance to "miss" are the biggest reason for a desync to occur and it impacts Melee players the most (For obvious reasons). A lot of Melee players will get the keystones that make it impossible to miss (Lose the ability to deal critical strikes) and/or the ability to avoid being stunned (Gain enemies never missing you!).

Those 2 keystones together resolve most situations where a desync can occur. Most other games only have one or neither of those mechanics.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 20, 2015, 1:37:57 AM
Not sure if this has been suggested before but, when the client updates from the server and finds itself to be significantly out of sync, it should undo all the damage done in the interval that "couldn't have happened", for both the character and the mobs, and perhaps include a few milliseconds of "god mode" after the "rubber-banding" to give the player time to react to the new situation.
Last edited by TheNightFly on Mar 21, 2015, 9:19:02 PM
"
TheNightFly wrote:
Not sure if this has been suggested before but, when the client updates from the server and finds itself to be significantly out of sync, it should undo all the damage done in the interval that "couldn't have happened", for both the character and the mobs, and perhaps include a few milliseconds of "god mode" after the "rubber-banding" to give the player time to react to the new situation.
People would just unplug themselves from the router or use software to momentarily halt internet connectivity to exploit it. Very easy stuff for anyone to do too.
Computer specifications:
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Mar 22, 2015, 1:39:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info