[3.4] Say_Ten's Double Strike/Spectral Throw Melee Scion - Cheap and Easy to Play

"
Marchosia wrote:
I'm currently trying out this build (currently with self-found stuff only), and like it very much so far. Recently, I found the Haemophilia gloves, and could not resist trying them out.

So far, they seem to work quite well, clear speed was much faster and the monster chain explosions are extremely satisfying, but I'm only in Act 8 (my highest level char so far). For my noob eyes, the build also seems to be well suited to bleed damage, with the strong focus on physical, and many of the bleed nodes within easy reach.

My question now, as I have not much experience with PoE mechanics: Do you think it's worthwile to spec more into bleed and sacrifice some sword damage nodes for this? For example, go for Bloodletting with the 40% damage increase, or Red Storm? Is Crimson Dance worth it - it seems to synergize well with the high attack speed of Dual Strike to stack the dot? With some of these nodes stacked, I could have a 100% chance to cause bleeding.

From what I read, bleed damage is deemed underpowered in this patch, but my feeling is it could work well here. However, I do not know if it becomes useless in later stages of the game.

They changed the way bleed works. I don't think its necessarily underpowered. Plus they buffed like every single damage node with ailment damage. It would definitely be worth trying out to see if you like it. There are a lot of ways to go about it too. The Gladiator ascendancy provides a chance to bleed but if you get to the correct nodes, you can get it from the passive tree too. Then there is the support gems that would synergize. You can even craft it on a weapon or get it from a unique item.

The first nodes you mentioned would be good. Crimson Dance...haven't spent enough time calculating. You could probably put it into PoB and see how it looks.
Should I use Kondo's Pride for good or should I switch to my 500 pdps weapon? Somehow the game is showing lower dps for my 500 pdps weapon than my kondo's pride, even though it has slightly lower min damage and far higher max damage and the attack speed isn't much slower.

Nevermind, made it superior, now it clearly beats kondo, but I only gained 2k dps.
Last edited by texasgoldrush on Sep 14, 2017, 2:16:16 PM
"
texasgoldrush wrote:
Should I use Kondo's Pride for good or should I switch to my 500 pdps weapon? Somehow the game is showing lower dps for my 500 pdps weapon than my kondo's pride, even though it has slightly lower min damage and far higher max damage and the attack speed isn't much slower.

Nevermind, made it superior, now it clearly beats kondo, but I only gained 2k dps.

still need to work on some of that gear.

2k on your default attack? on ST? on DS? hopefully it's one of the first two because you got a 10% boost in pdps give or take...and i'm assuming you are doing WAY more than 20k dps with DS.
"
Say_Ten wrote:
"
texasgoldrush wrote:

still need to work on some of that gear.

2k on your default attack? on ST? on DS? hopefully it's one of the first two because you got a 10% boost in pdps give or take...and i'm assuming you are doing WAY more than 20k dps with DS.

I fixed the problem, it was not max quality. Now its better than Kondo's and gave me a 5k boost to my Hatred+HOA+FG Double Strike DPS. With two more gems, its now at 80k, but with Frenzy and Atziri's, its well over 100k DPS.

I think I may need to replace my gloves, my left ring, then my boots, and then try for a new helm. I also am seeing my gems are not max quality yet, and by boosting Double Strike around 10%, gained 1k to its DPS.

I now have 4.6k life. Been fine for the most part, but had some cheap deaths.

I almost have an exalted orb finally.

What next should I get?

UPDATE: Have new gloves and ring, life now at 4.8K, and my FG+HOA+Hatred Double Strike DPS is now 83K

Should I cut my gems to 20%, how much will that help?
Last edited by texasgoldrush on Sep 18, 2017, 12:44:07 AM
"
texasgoldrush wrote:

I fixed the problem, it was not max quality. Now its better than Kondo's and gave me a 5k boost to my Hatred+HOA+FG Double Strike DPS. With two more gems, its now at 80k, but with Frenzy and Atziri's, its well over 100k DPS.

I think I may need to replace my gloves, my left ring, then my boots, and then try for a new helm. I also am seeing my gems are not max quality yet, and by boosting Double Strike around 10%, gained 1k to its DPS.

What next should I get?

UPDATE: Have new gloves and ring, life now at 4.8K, and my FG+HOA+Hatred Double Strike DPS is now 83K

new gloves look really good. too bad they don't have flat phys on them as the melee damage only benefits DS, but at this point i'm not going to nitpick that. Next thing I would mess with is the boots. Need more movement speed and resists. Belt could be better in terms of more resists as well, but you are probably capped on resists. The helm is decent...could have more life but that's the last thing I would change. Throw your flame golem in there...or...better yet...run ancestral warchief as a 4L setup in there. You should get +2 to the skill gem because of it. Plus AW buffs your damage AND creates aggro.

Getting 20/20 gems does help a lot. Generally it's not worth it to spend 20 GCPs on a gem though. Most people level them to 20 and then flip them over to 20% quality via a vendor and re-level them. Otherwise you could buy 20/20 gems if you're lazy and/or don't mind spending the currency. The only gems that I would use GCPs on are ones that are already at ~15% quality. Some guy on reddit made a guide for this the other day. Basically showing which gems were worth spending GCPs on and which ones weren't and at what quality % the breakpoint was. Last note on gem quality: the only ones I would worry about getting quality on are hatred and grace as legitimate auras (not heralds) just gain AOE with quality...so it reaches your allies from further away, which you don't care about unless you're an aurabot.
"
Say_Ten wrote:
"
texasgoldrush wrote:

What next should I get?

new gloves look really good. too bad they don't have flat phys on them as the melee damage only benefits DS, but at this point i'm not going to nitpick that. Next thing I would mess with is the boots. Need more movement speed and resists. Belt could be better in terms of more resists as well, but you are probably capped on resists. The helm is decent...could have more life but that's the last thing I would change. Throw your flame golem in there...or...better yet...run ancestral warchief as a 4L setup in there. You should get +2 to the skill gem because of it. Plus AW buffs your damage AND creates aggro.

Getting 20/20 gems does help a lot. Generally it's not worth it to spend 20 GCPs on a gem though. Most people level them to 20 and then flip them over to 20% quality via a vendor and re-level them. Otherwise you could buy 20/20 gems if you're lazy and/or don't mind spending the currency. The only gems that I would use GCPs on are ones that are already at ~15% quality. Some guy on reddit made a guide for this the other day. Basically showing which gems were worth spending GCPs on and which ones weren't and at what quality % the breakpoint was. Last note on gem quality: the only ones I would worry about getting quality on are hatred and grace as legitimate auras (not heralds) just gain AOE with quality...so it reaches your allies from further away, which you don't care about unless you're an aurabot.

What gems should I 4L Ancestral Warchief with?
"
texasgoldrush wrote:

I would go melee physical, faster attacks, and maybe maim to slow shit down for you
Hello! Thank you for the guide! I am quite new to the game and so I wanted to ask you if you can take a look on my char and maybe suggest some upgrades! :D I took a look around but I can find mainly very expensive pieces hehehe so any advice is really welcome and sorry for being so noobie! :D

I'm currently running maps on t1-t8 without too many problems btw, but I would love to improve, sitting around 65k on double strike and 10,9k on basic attack dmg full buffed without stacks :)
"
Say_Ten wrote:
"
texasgoldrush wrote:

I would go melee physical, faster attacks, and maybe maim to slow shit down for you

Yeah, it changes the game, now its apart of the build a bit, but a supporting role.

I am almost at 5k life, but I am hearing for the guardians and the shaper. I need 6k to 7k. How do they get their life so high? I am also hearing that the guardians and shaper are life walls. Is this build shaper viable?

I may very well let this game sit for awhile, as other games I need to play. Then I may try a different build, building off of what I achieved on this build. I also want to level through the game again if they add VA to act 5-10.
Last edited by texasgoldrush on Sep 20, 2017, 7:16:31 PM
"
texasgoldrush wrote:
"
Say_Ten wrote:
"
texasgoldrush wrote:

Yeah, it changes the game, now its apart of the build a bit, but a supporting role.

I am almost at 5k life, but I am hearing for the guardians and the shaper. I need 6k to 7k. How do they get their life so high? I am also hearing that the guardians and shaper are life walls. Is this build shaper viable?

I may very well let this game sit for awhile, as other games I need to play. Then I may try a different build, building off of what I achieved on this build. I also want to level through the game again if they add VA to act 5-10.

this build scales well throughout the entire game but you really need good gear to do the hardest stuff. to get that much life you need near-max life rolls on almost everything and probably more investment in life nodes on the passive tree.

glad you are liking AW. let me know if you need anything else. good luck!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info