What benefits are there to play the Steam version?

I only linked to my steam account to get access to this

But I don't use Steam, I still use the normal PoE Client.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
"
From what I can tell, the Steam version simply introduces a middle-man between you and GGG's servers that can screw you over at any moment. Various aspects of the game are modified to depend on Steam infrastructure and if any of that infrastructure fails/goes offline then you'll either:

1) Be unable to log in to the game.
2) Randomly disconnect from a existing game session.

Even when GGG's own servers are functioning perfectly fine and you have a stable connection to them, if something buggers up on Steam then you run a good risk of being screwed over.

So, seriously, why do people even use the Steam version and not simply use a non-steam version added to Steam as a non-Steam game shortcut (I assume people use it for the Steam Overlay)?

Never ran into either of those scenarios...

I used the Steam version mainly for achievements and auto-updating.
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
I stopped using Steam and went to normal client.

Updates takes FOREVER over Steam. Disk busy and stuff.
IGN: ShadowBeholder
"
gfwatcher wrote:
I stopped using Steam and went to normal client.

Updates takes FOREVER over Steam. Disk busy and stuff.

Lol wtf is your shit like a toaster? Mine takes literally one second to update with a probably mid tier computer at most.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
I use it for the automatic patching, it also patches way faster than PoE's own patcher.
I also use it for the steam overlay, I did this back before there was even a steam version. If I friend talks to me through steam I'd prefer to be able to respond to them without having to alt+tab out of the game. With the overlay on I can just stay where I am, or run to a safer spot, and reply to them.

So it's mainly a convenience thing.
I play PoE through Steam because:

- easier, automated patching (not only when I launch the game).
- no requirement to type in the password every time.
- no verification emails when my IP address changes.
- built-in social features to stay in touch with Steam friends.
- built-in community features, like taking and posting screenshots.
- Steam trading cards when I buy MTX stuff (basically a discount).

All strong points for me to use the Steam version, especially the second and third ones.
No verification mails every day. And I can see how no-life I am (currently at 380 hours).
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info