[1.3.x] Dual Flame Totems: Solo, Self-Found, Beginner-friendly. AA+EB!

"
shamsterdam wrote:
I'm not too sure its a total RIP... I'm fairly pleased with this build (level 86) below.

It gives us access to the extra curse without Windscream and gets us the option of swapping Blood Magic with Eldritch Battery if we wanted to go with a Haste+Grace/Vitality+Reduced Mana Aura build.

Also, it looks like the Witch, Templar, Marauder and Scion are all tolerable classes to start with.

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAWfOsqiftxPY8Lcautz74k4xGK7YQzN-_FHH46-oY9zJyqfaueGlKxAYOA8Zj_Qn2FCCnMFBHGJFfP8EEVbWezeOf7w4nL7yfkFXAGqeEGjiCmylP7DhG113GtQTkIuNqNun60maeJKoWb1gHfOUYangvm6GPRh0U7FUqjUkbNtjxbKyY99dVxjpYh2WvtzI0HwIEB4PbEFgsnKPyLKdaKyoT0f2nlLiTpwi18jWS2L3-Cm6qPydKyPm9BqBkhIcZbBb8S1OlDF8cp_noQYcppU4qW6_dDSzpFSAqTcNtXGuESNpiaHSUoNhNNon06YIeFLBMLREPZ71Prw==

You have 125 points in that build..

But yeah - 1.2 did not kill this build.
I plan to start with this build in the coming league so I did a comparison.
As a result I think coming patch is a buff for this build.

This is at 98 point

This is at 106 point

Compared with 98 points, 106 points go for 20% additional maximum life, 50 int and can go for further dps (reach Heart of Flame, 5 points for totally of 71% fire damage and 2% fire penetration) or curse (4 points for one additional curse, 6% curse effect, 12% curse radius and 15% curse duration) improvement.

Compare with old build at 100 point, here's a breakdown (1.2 vs 1.1)

Life:

maximum life: 90 vs 70
maximum life: +212% vs +216% (Not too bad)
life regeneration: 9.5% vs 7.7% (Huge buff, can even go up to 10.7% with nodes near Golem's Blood)
STR: 350 vs 320 (thus for life 175 vs 160)

Let's assume at lvl 85,
body life: 1072 vs 732

again assume total of 480 hp on medium equip, plus OAK normal 40

Final HP: 5794 vs 4683

1100 more hp, 25% buff

Totem

All totem related buff adds up to the same except:

Totem Life: 80% vs 28%

which is a huge huge buff. It means totem will get 50% more hp than in 1.1, thus 20q flame totem will be less necessarily.

Elemental damage and resistance

maximum resistance: 1/0/0 vs 2/2/2
(same for all the builds. Actually not that important according to the play style of this build)

elemental damage: 42% vs 24%

all resis: 5% vs 12%
(very easy build for itemization so res should not be a problem)

The only problem I can think of is the lack of int before lvl 85 can cause some problem for itemization, but it can be solved by taking +30 int nodes and specing out later.

P.S
From the new tree, marauder seems to be the better char for this build, 200 more life, 22% more armor , 0.2% more life regen

Last edited by POEBuzzsaw on Aug 17, 2014, 4:58:47 AM
And I should say I'm not a huge fan of three dragons in this build so there's no need to go to static blow which has been moved to the right.

Flame totem is a small fast hitting skill, surely it can shock white mobs, but for the unique and life enhenced rare monsters which you really need the shock, it never does the job.

No life and defense on three dragons and less dps for added lightning than added chaos, but ideal for end-game.

I'd rather get a +2 minion helmet with good life and defense or stats, and put in zombie or animated weapon with minion life and minion res, makes you really safe.

Here's my build with the new tree:

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAWGPG2FBQLv-iD18_7w4nL-Of8i-krLyf-6qgtPMG378Ucacwns1VtcEE9q54aUrE-Ouj8iynWisqE1nzrKpyqfcy6hgaOKeEkFXAGn7i-tJmnqmVT32AVlFg42o26RZvJKresOcLna4abPO-BuknYa9sTP88LQz36dVeHwJxBLPwH8WKFE2iAPiTjEYrthDMxq4MXxynU6X56EGHtz41kti9_gr5vQagZIQ_J0rIbqq18qQ50IFH4iLiFSAqTeIsCTPRNiftxPY=

Required uniques:
Stone of Lazhwar
Rathpith globe

Possibly take the 50% less reserved mana node behind Blood Magic and use Tempest Shield + Reduced Mand
Marauder is not a good starter class for this build. They don't get faster projectiles or faster casting from quests.
So is Three Dragons and taking Static Blows totally not viable now? That's a huge dps boost I rather not lose... I think I'll skip the Duelist area and go for it since I have enough regrets to undo it if the build is a complete disaster. Live and learn! :)
"
kompaniet wrote:
Marauder is not a good starter class for this build. They don't get faster projectiles or faster casting from quests.

You can easily buy them for 1 alc or 1 chaos, no big issue. But the life, life reg and armor gain is real for end game. Easy decision for me.
I'll probably not update this guide for the Forsaken Masters expansion. With the severe nerf to life, and the heavy reliance of this build on a large life pool and the resulting high HP regeneration, I'm not convinced that it will work nearly as well in 1.2 and after as it did in 1.1x. The resist cap increasing nodes are also gone.

Right now, I feel that with the 1.2 changes, a mana-based Flame Totem build would be the more attractive choice, particularly because it allows for running defensive auras. If I were to play a dual-totem build in 1.2 (I typically play different builds in new leagues for variety), I would even consider a CI build (should be affordable with the new Masters), though life+MoM+EB may be a better approach.
"
Mivo wrote:
I'll probably not update this guide for the Forsaken Masters expansion. With the severe nerf to life, and the heavy reliance of this build on a large life pool and the resulting high HP regeneration, I'm not convinced that it will work nearly as well in 1.2 and after as it did in 1.1x. The resist cap increasing nodes are also gone.

Right now, I feel that with the 1.2 changes, a mana-based Flame Totem build would be the more attractive choice, particularly because it allows for running defensive auras. If I were to play a dual-totem build in 1.2 (I typically play different builds in new leagues for variety), I would even consider a CI build (should be affordable with the new Masters), though life+MoM+EB may be a better approach.

You obviously haven't seen the new flasks. There are absolutely insanely overpowered. Not saying mana-based isn't a good way to go but the flasks more than make up for regen.
IGN: Dmillz
"
POEBuzzsaw wrote:
"
kompaniet wrote:

You can easily buy them for 1 alc or 1 chaos, no big issue. But the life, life reg and armor gain is real for end game. Easy decision for me.

When you are starting anew in a fresh league you don't have chaos orbs to waste on gems while leveling. Gems that you are supposed to recieve from quests anyway... And only for a tiny boost in stats. You don't have any orbs at all. And the few orbs you find you wanna use for upgrading your gear.

We just have different tactics when starting from beginning i think.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info