Freeze-Cast when Damage taken

20% gems are all to expensive, is there another way?
20% is for added cold which adds chance to freeze. As I commented in my other post nothing will really work good at all if combined with cast when damage taken(due to the severe damage penalty).

Cast when stun would work due to no damage penalty.
Last edited by kasub on Mar 11, 2014, 3:03:06 PM
Yes, Cast on Stun + ice nova / coldsnap / increased critical strikes

That is assuming you do not have Unwavering stance. No need for quality on the gems. I have used it for a long time PVE as well as PVP. The chill + freeze is a lifesaver. Alternatively you can replace one of those above with frost wall, but that creates complications.
"
anachelli wrote:

That is assuming you do not have Unwavering stance. No need for quality on the gems. I have used it for a long time PVE as well as PVP. The chill + freeze is a lifesaver. Alternatively you can replace one of those above with frost wall, but that creates complications.

But cast on stun is only a % to trigger, not sure on max but good because no damage penalty. I think there is a trade off there too as you will be getting hit with no trigger and it could be the hit you really need the freeze on.
"
raziekeljr wrote:
"
anachelli wrote:

But cast on stun is only a % to trigger, not sure on max but good because no damage penalty. I think there is a trade off there too as you will be getting hit with no trigger and it could be the hit you really need the freeze on.

Thats true, but from when I have used it (low armor build) CoS happens a lot more often than lvl 1 CwDT, also CoS doesnt have gem level restriction. Try both with different spells and you will see if you dont have Unwavering/Kaoms Heart CoS is the better choice
I used CwS like (Cast On Stun > Cold Snap > Conc Effect > Ele Prolif) Worked like a charm, obviously needed on a spell caster build.
There is no reliable CwDT freeze : CwDT needs to be leveled and that means it wont proc much and to have any use of it you would need size hp pool more then twice the threshold.

CwS - you need to be stunable so its mostly for low life ES builds and then you get 50% chance ot resist stun from ES and then 50% to proc the spells. Obiously it will be proc a lot if you get stunned by hits from white mobs...

Best bet is utility like enfeeble , skeletons and maybe some spell with knockback/chance to flee...
Frost wall with chance to flee. Who needs freeze when no enemy can pathfind to you?
Not really feasible with a low level CoDT gem. You'll need a 2000+ damage per proc to do nearly enough cold damage to reliably freeze anything late game.

That said, your best bet is DIscharge: use frenzy as your main attack and use a CoDT discharge with quality added cold damage(for the freeze chance), elemental proliferation, and standard damage gems. ALso bring a frostbite curse and the 5% freeze chance node near shadow.

Since you're going deep on cold at this point I'd say definitely use Hatred (possibly with extra aura effect nodes).

Also be sure to grab the +30% freeze duration nodes up at the very top of the tree.

With this setup you won't be freezing bosses reactively(unless they have trash nearby to proliferate off of), but every 2400 damage taken or so you should freeze all the trash nearby.

COuld probably get more frequent procs by using a Cast when Stunned gem though.
Talisman softcore IGN:disappointment

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info