Freeze-Cast when Damage taken

I want to try to freeze mobs with the gem "cast when damage taken". i have 4 sockels for this, 1 is used for the gem " cast when damage taken", so there are three left. Which Gem combintation would be the best the freeze mobs?
(I think of "vaal cold snap" but because of the souls i can use is permanent.)
*of course i can NOT use vaal cold snap permanent because of souls
"
Klassenliste wrote:
I want to try to freeze mobs with the gem "cast when damage taken". i have 4 sockels for this, 1 is used for the gem " cast when damage taken", so there are three left. Which Gem combintation would be the best the freeze mobs?
(I think of "vaal cold snap" but because of the souls i can use is permanent.)

Problem with Vaal Cold snap is the same you'd run into with other Vaal gems, being that it only works after so many souls have been collected by killing monsters. I am also thinking of using a similar setup with my Glacial Hammer build for added safety and utility (monsters shatter at 1/3 health while frozen). I am thinking of trying Cast When Damage Taken + Cold Snap (non-vaal) + elemental proliferation + increased area of effect, but I haven't tested it yet. I am purely speculating that that combination might be useful. On a second piece of equipment you could add the Vaal Cold Snap and a similar combination of gems.
Still in the alpha stage, but at least build diversity isn't an issue: https://wolcengame.com/home/
Last edited by JNF on Mar 10, 2014, 1:03:23 PM
okay sounds interesting. but i have no space for another item with sockets i can use for freezing. only 4 sockets the others are reserved.
Are there other oppinions?
i used to have ice nova linked to my cwdt, but it wastn so good. Now i got summon skeletons and its way better. They do no dmg, but they serve as meatshield.
IGN: Reoxy
If you must freeze instead of summoning skeletons or something, try CWDT+Cold Snap+Elemental Proliferation+Cold Penetration/Added Cold Damage/Increased AoE.

You'll have to level your CWDT as much as you can to keep Cold Snap in a level range where it is very effective, but that should freeze things even without crit.

I'm not willing to say that's the best defense mechanism, though. XD
so what will be a better mechanism?
Your main gem is also going to be limited with CwDt so expect the freezing to fall off after a while. In order for this to work later, you really need a fully levelled gem, which would require a lot of damage to trigger. Without knowing your build, skeletons actually sound like a better idea.
There is no freeze mechanic that will work with cast when damage taken.

Freeze duration is based on damage, it has to reach a minimum duration before it freezes at all. Cast when damage taken has a huge damage penalty which pretty much kills your ability to freeze.

If you want a reliable manual freeze then freezemine + penetration + increased aoe + prolif.
You need CwDT, cold snap and added cold damage, all 20% quality, then you may add either elemental proliferation or increased area of effect at the fourth socket. Look here

Spoiler

Your build should also be crit based for this setup to work well. And have spell/elemental damage passive nodes and gear. The tooltip says average damage of that cold snap is around 1K. Even though it freezes without crit too, the non-crit freeze duration is less than a second on lvl 73+ mobs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info