[1-2.0] CoC Sci/Sha/Ran/Due with Block - Song of Ice and Fire. Cheap. Fun. Nerfed

You are not supposed to use mana flasks often.

I can only give some general tips because I haven't been playing this build since 1.2.

In 2.0 video I have 80% mana regen and 55% max mana in the tree, 59% mana regen and 176 flat mana on gear, and use level 19 clarity.

These may help with mana management:
- Clarity, even if can't use Grace with it
- Elreon ring with -8 mana cost
- LMP instead of GMP
- No life leech gem
- mana and mana regen% on gear and in the skill tree
- mana on hit or mana on kill
- +3 mana regen unique jewel quest reward
- kiting: don't stand in place firing, move sometimes
- mana leech gem or flasks if nothing helps
why use heral of tunder if never kill a shoked monster????
I'm lvl 82, started using this build but I made some changes. Though I will told you a couple good improvements I made.

-Knockback (on jewels): Since you can't shotgun any more, keeping the enemies away is very useful. I don't get hit EVER by melee slow hitting enemies (normals, blues or rares). Bears, zombies, etc. When they're in range they start the attack, and when they deal the hit they're already too far. This includes many bosses too. I also never engage in melee in packs, as longs I got enough procs, so blues/normals can only get in melee range when there's only 1 or 2 left in the pack. The problem with this is when they get around you fast (skeletons summoned around you, or flicker strike fighters. To deal with this I got a cwdt+firestorm+knockback link and that normally keeps away the most insistent enemies. You only have to stay in the middle of the firestorm (of course whirling away and get good positioning is the best option). This also pushes ranged enemies away of their range (they walk towards you and start attacking once you are in his range. If you didn't move further in, a little push forces them to walk again, and the firestorms lasts 2 whole seconds, plenty of time for this build). Still ranged attacks are a worry, but Arrow Dancing becomes very effective with almost no drawbacks. You also don't waste time kitting. Using magma orb becomes a very good option because you will hit twice, though I don't use it (maybe if I get a 6L...).

-Mana on hit (on jewels): With 5 jewels with +2 mana on hit (only attacks) you can stop using an elreon necklace. Also you have no problems against single targets because each time you hit at least twice.

-I switched fireball for spark (higher base damage compared to ball lighting) to shock enemies. This is enough to proc herald of thunder enough to curse some enemies and go full charges almost all the time (except against single targets).

Still, my number 1 worry is how to deal against single target bosses. I got a second set of weapons with wands and a lvl 1 barrage. It's usefull, but gem swap (with ST or GMP) it's so anti-climax... I normally only use it after I died. OHKO is still a worry but not that much since I get the habit to whirl and get fortify 100% up time, and get surgeon's granite flasks 100% uptime, and the cwdt-enfeeble-immortal call (even without endurance charges, 0'4 seconds is plenty of time to press the seething flask).

Seriusly, any help with act4 bosses since piety is very welcome.
Last edited by Visca on Aug 14, 2015, 8:11:15 AM
Isra1, that's 2.0 status ailment "rework". HoF alone was enough in 1.x. It seems that in 2.0 more lightning damage is required to use it effectively.

Visca, great post, thank you! I can't help you with A4 bosses, but your post can help others, so I've added a link to it in the guide.
Last edited by SunnyRay on Aug 14, 2015, 11:47:57 AM
single target boss 4L is double strike multi lgoh leech/splash.

or cyclone coc ek arc.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
First let me say, this is still my favourite build in POE post 2.0.

Currently I'm using the posted tree and the following set up:

Currently I'm level 85 and I'm testing the following and it seems to work well enough:

-For physical damage mitigation, I self-cast enduring cry and have a Cast When Damage Taken-Immortal Call-Temporal Chains set-up.
-I've added Fortify to Whirling Blades for physical damage reduction (works well for A4/Malachai)
-Since the life pool is relatively small, this means our chances of getting stunned are increased. I added the following set-up to take advantage of this: Cast When Stunned-Molten Shell-Frost Wall-Ice Golem
-I sacrificed Grace since I can no longer afford the reservation to run it with Purity of Elements(my resists aren't capped due to Tabula) and Clarity. I replaced it with Herald of Thunder-Curse on Hit-Assasin's Mark.
-Vaal Clarity for any mana issues (e.g. against bosses)
-Rumi's Concoction works well since armour is king. Flasks need some work but I haven't gotten around to it as yet.

I really like the Knockback suggestions and will try them although I like maintaining fortify (which requires whirling thru the mobs).
Hello again guys!
I've made a video for you with my 91 lvl Scion based on this build with many changes and improvements.

My Own 2.0.0 Video on 78 Springs Map

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YSdOZHmn1c&feature=youtu.be

I read a lot of ur suggestions, and try to make it works on this build, i really think it did. I post video with yours and mine improvements. If someone of you guys is interested
what i used on this video, like gems, items, skill tree i can explain just ask below! cheers
!

1. First tip is Hyrri's Ire

even 5l with 10% chance to dodge attacks and 10% spells with max block and many eva it doing great job!

and
@ssm016 Yours flask with recharge 3 charges when ENEMY HITS YOU with critical strike are not usefull at all with 75 block chance, try to roll them with 1 charge when YOU HITS THEM with critical strike!
^ lol I know, hence I stated that they need work...

Additionally the final build shouldn't use any mana flasks, but I'm still leveling clarity up to level 18 (in 1.3 I had it at level 10). I stuck it in there as a "just in case" flask. I also downgraded spectral throw to level 10 (where it costs 7 mana with a multiplier up to 16 mana - where it should be to mitigate mana cost). The flask will be replaced by a Surgeon Jade flask later on
. This is what I originally had in the build but sacrificed it to solve the mana problems. I had the health one for the staunching...

I also thought Hyrri's Ire was the best option, but maybe not for me as I would prefer health and capped resists. The build is still viable with just tabula which makes it awesome!I run 78 maps with that tabula.

I capped block at 75% with four Jewels each having 1% block while dual wielding and 7% increased maximum life and I am around 3.6k health@lvl88.

Last edited by ssm016 on Sep 7, 2015, 1:19:09 AM
^ good idea with the block + life jewels, i drop Gemini cluster and easy get 7 jewel sockets,
i get max block with 6 + life + some with chaos resists.

Jade flask i reccomend with these mods

Also i reccomend Vaal grace, using with Jade flask make's you temporaly immortal i can say :)

I make new video from 79 Arsenal map; 1080p & 60 fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yffowZZ2FUo&feature=youtu.be
Last edited by Crokodylek on Sep 18, 2015, 6:19:45 AM
It's the first time I try a Cast On Critical build, and I have to admit I had quite some fun.
I played in Tempest league knowing 6-Links were cheaper (mine cost me 20 chaos).
My character is only level 80 (I stopped playing a few days ago), but I wanted to at least contribute to the 2.0 discussion and perhaps help with my input.

Passive Tree

Level 80
http://tinyurl.com/ooppjwk

Level 93
http://tinyurl.com/nh3u2m8

I've changed the pathing on the tree a little bit to suit my needs. I went with Ranger just because I like it, and having a bit more life and evasion is good. I don't want Arrow Dancing (if it was still Ondar's Guile, sure), so I save points by taking anoter path, skipping Heartseeker, Swagger, and a jewel.
I make up for the critical chance I lose by using Summon Ice Golem, and taking Depth Perception later on.

You can see I'm not taking many jewels slots. It's just because I feel it's not that easy to find the jewels you need by yourself (even more so early in a league), and trading them is also not really cheap. If you already got good jewels a few changes can be made to the tree.

I was planning to get Vaal Pact, but with the removal of the Thornflesh Bloodline packs it doesn't feel necessary. Whatever, it's only one point, just want to clarify.

Gear

Bandits/Leveling

-Bandits : 40 Life / 8% Increased Attack Speed / Passive

-Leveling : I used Tornado Shot for leveling, and switched to CoC at level 52 (mainly because I bought the spell gems with a higher level character and the requirement of most of them was 52).

I find that buying gear / coloring sockets and setting up your gems correctly in preparation for Dominus (Cruel) is not a bad idea! (And I'm still using the same gear at level 80!)

Gems setup

-Spectral Throw (level 10) ¤ Greater Multiple Projectiles ¤ Cast On Critical Strike ¤ Life Leech ¤ Ball Lightning ¤ Ice Spear

I'm using Ball Lightning to proc Herald Of Thunder (as Visca said earlier, Spark has more damage, so I switch to it for indoor maps).
To freeze ennemies better, I'm using Ice Spear. And I must say it's contributing to make you even safer.
Life Leech 'cause Hardcore.

-Whirling Blade ¤ Fortify is a great idea! I got rid of Faster Attacks because we've got enough attack speed in the tree / on gear and put my Ice Golem instead, so it gets Fortify too.

-Herald of Thunder ¤ Curse On Hit ¤ Assassin's Mark

-Herald of Ice ¤ Grace ¤ Enduring Cry ¤ {Free socket | where my Clarity use to be}

-Cast When Damage Taken (10) ¤ Enfeeble (13) ¤ Immortall Call (12) ¤ Increased Duration (20)

Nothing special, just don't level Immortall Call and Enduring Cry too much, they're the most strength demanding gems in the build. It's not worth it to go out of your way to get more strength just to gain a few levels on them, in my opinion.

Single target/Mana

-Indeed single target is harsh. I was not satisfied with Dual Strike. So I was looking to match the "CoC theme" of the build. Ok so I just need a melee skill with which attacking fast is the only needed thing. After some crazy idea about CoC Lightning Strike (does that even work?), I found a funny thing :

Frenzy ¤ CoC ¤ Power Charge On Crit ¤ Discharge.

But it's not really working either... I keep using this as single target because I like the idea, but there's times where Discharge doesn't proc often enough (it's awkward when the most damage you did to the ennemy was with Frenzy, and not Discharge...). Power Charge On Crit helps with that though, and adds damage to Discharge. I tried using another spell or multistrike instead, but I don't think it's giving more DPS.

If you like that Frenzy idea, however, and you play in groups, consider taking Conduit! It's only 3 points away, and with my variant, you are able to generate all three types of charges without having to kill ennemies.

- +2 mana on hit jewels are amazing! A single one allowed me to drop Clarity, and add another Herald (with the help of Charisma). So I'm able to squeeze in Grace, plus Herald of Thunder AND Herald of Ice. Still, single target is the problem, so I've kept a mana flask on my belt.
But again, another great idea for 2.0!
Without jewel, take Mana Flows. It is quite efficient, especially if you run Clarity.

-I haven't tried Knockback (I had enough control with freeze), but it seems nice. I'll try next time.

All in all, even with dual wield Ungil's Gauche giving less block chance than before, I felt pretty safe. The combination of block chance, evasion, freeze, Whirling Blade/Fortify, endurance charges and Immortal Call, Enfeeble, is good defense overall. It should be strong with better gear (I only have 49% block chance and 46% chance to evade attacks, and I don't own a Rainbowstride). I focused on getting more life, playing in Hardcore, and seeing people saying it was low in this build. I'm proud to have 4.5K currently, knowing, as I said earlier, that I'm still using my mid-Cruel gear. I also have not yet touched Hired Killer.
If you're playing softcore, go nuts! Drop life leech and drop some life and evasion in the tree and take whatever you want (is it worth it to take Doom Cast?), and maybe you can figure out a way to make something work for single target.

Thanks to SunnyRay who made the build and the thread, and thanks to Visca, ssm016, and others who helped taking advantage of 2.0 changes.
Last edited by Tillover on Sep 29, 2015, 2:22:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info