Mace/Shield LS Templar with Video and writeup(Written for New Players)

i have watched all you passiv skill trees you have posted and tried to do my own way. my final build will look like that and maybe someone will reply and improve it.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAhMREckA2I020-fAfogAEszKJd-VX4oFvnjxN2Ix2BVuLjOFz7SBG113GtQRFRzEBNYCIuuQiKU-Cm3y7JIs9D8T2J-2sqnKpfNnz3Rnp3sHkrcAaZp5xTZrPQ2O3MVj1ncSplXB9T32AVhoyUWD60h0UTDXjgucL3rAoxfO-j0bQ0JuhZ73ub89lVcanCBVQE8xP86pSUfnsyzbp42oZLtSPud3yL-8O2CQ2xR8Cfq92EQQHTLMtH40Z4BLdjFHmtC9BP3diuJMR2wx9EH_Gnn31xBXnUlRJXz9nmyku
"
Gorgatron wrote:
"
Sarriss wrote:

There is some wasted nodes with strength that were redundant plus you took a whole mace path which primarily adds accuracy which you don't need if you're using RT. I made it a little more traditional which you can look over and see if it helps you out at all. Obviously you can move it around and go for extra block (4%) reduced mana cost (15%) extra resist, reduced mana reduction (10%) or tons of extra life which you can take (28%) all very close to where you were.

Suggested Changes

Hope that helps!

Is there a reason why you didn't go with Iron Grip?

Nope, other then I didn't want to butcher his build too much.

This is my personal build
"
Sarriss wrote:
"
Gorgatron wrote:
"
Sarriss wrote:

There is some wasted nodes with strength that were redundant plus you took a whole mace path which primarily adds accuracy which you don't need if you're using RT. I made it a little more traditional which you can look over and see if it helps you out at all. Obviously you can move it around and go for extra block (4%) reduced mana cost (15%) extra resist, reduced mana reduction (10%) or tons of extra life which you can take (28%) all very close to where you were.

Suggested Changes

Hope that helps!

Is there a reason why you didn't go with Iron Grip?

Nope, other then I didn't want to butcher his build too much.

This is my personal build

--|What about this?

"
Freshbrewed wrote:
"
MxDGentle wrote:
for iron grip. u get 2% PHYS DAMAGE for every 10 strength.
so at 400 str ull get 80% additional phys damage.

yep, have fun making ur build.

EDIT1. theres a thread that talks about the LS mechanics.
from there i got that LS is modified only by phys damage,
make sure u dont get nodes that say (only) melee.
(phys damage by melee weapons, it modifies LS).

EDIT2. i made some more research on IRON grip.
im coming to the conclusion that the additional phys damage
that will be added to the projectile (in case of LS it is the lightning)
is dependent on the type of weapon u have.
for example ur weapon does 70-140 phys damage. (not considering mods)
so if u roll 100 phys damage on the attack. the 80% (supposing u have 400str on ur toon)
is just 100x.8=80 phys damage.
This will be added to ur elemental damage to result to ur total DPS.
I was thinking before that the 80% wud be taken from the total DPS.
i have to admit i made miscalculation. 80 damage for 7 nodes...ill have to rethink it again.

Anyone got better explanation, is welcome to critic.

Good clarification, thanks for the effort you've done. As we can see, choosing Iron Grip would end up wasting your points. In this example, 80 damage isn't nothing compared to resistances or HP% or DMG( depends where'd you sacrifice points) we are already achieving with this build.

About the Melee Damage you are right. Did my own research also back then when I made the guide that Melee Damage nodes won't project to Lightning Strike's damage output. Thus I've taken only "Physical Melee increase" nodes, excluding the Templar's starting point :)

How viable would this be for HC? I'm trying to decide between this build and another on here which uses Blood Magic + Unwavering Stance, but I feel like BM/Unwavering would be much better for late game stuff to prevent you from getting mobbed.
"
MidnightExodo wrote:

--|What about this?

"
Freshbrewed wrote:
"
MxDGentle wrote:
for iron grip. u get 2% PHYS DAMAGE for every 10 strength.
so at 400 str ull get 80% additional phys damage.

yep, have fun making ur build.

EDIT1. theres a thread that talks about the LS mechanics.
from there i got that LS is modified only by phys damage,
make sure u dont get nodes that say (only) melee.
(phys damage by melee weapons, it modifies LS).

EDIT2. i made some more research on IRON grip.
im coming to the conclusion that the additional phys damage
that will be added to the projectile (in case of LS it is the lightning)
is dependent on the type of weapon u have.
for example ur weapon does 70-140 phys damage. (not considering mods)
so if u roll 100 phys damage on the attack. the 80% (supposing u have 400str on ur toon)
is just 100x.8=80 phys damage.
This will be added to ur elemental damage to result to ur total DPS.
I was thinking before that the 80% wud be taken from the total DPS.
i have to admit i made miscalculation. 80 damage for 7 nodes...ill have to rethink it again.

Anyone got better explanation, is welcome to critic.

Good clarification, thanks for the effort you've done. As we can see, choosing Iron Grip would end up wasting your points. In this example, 80 damage isn't nothing compared to resistances or HP% or DMG( depends where'd you sacrifice points) we are already achieving with this build.

About the Melee Damage you are right. Did my own research also back then when I made the guide that Melee Damage nodes won't project to Lightning Strike's damage output. Thus I've taken only "Physical Melee increase" nodes, excluding the Templar's starting point :)

That very well could be true, but I read somewhere that Iron Grip isn't about the added physical damage to your lightning bolts, but couples well with LS and the chain support gem. Apparently with chain, IG becomes a slaughterhouse as all the additional physical damage is added to both the original bolts and the chain damage. I could be wrong, fortunately my build is still early enough that if that is the case, I can reallocate those points elsewhere.
"
bartram wrote:
How viable would this be for HC? I'm trying to decide between this build and another on here which uses Blood Magic + Unwavering Stance, but I feel like BM/Unwavering would be much better for late game stuff to prevent you from getting mobbed.

I'm level 41 in HC and I just got into cruel. Stacking resistances sure saved my ass. Using a shield is great too.

"
Sarriss wrote:

That very well could be true, but I read somewhere that Iron Grip isn't about the added physical damage to your lightning bolts, but couples well with LS and the chain support gem. Apparently with chain, IG becomes a slaughterhouse as all the additional physical damage is added to both the original bolts and the chain damage. I could be wrong, fortunately my build is still early enough that if that is the case, I can reallocate those points elsewhere.

This sounds good with chain. I don't have it yet but I'm 2-3 levels away from getting Iron Grip.
Last edited by Gorgatron on Feb 9, 2013, 3:50:35 AM
Why 30points build differs from final?
"
Oozeling wrote:
Why 30points build differs from final?

Respec points.
Lvl 50 in Cruel act 3 atm, and been smooth so far :)

Using Lightning Strike as main nuke, Shield Charge to initiate fights/speed boost. And Heavy Strike for lightning immune mobs. Wrath (lvl 12) + Clarity (lvl 2) auras.
Mana has probably been the biggest issue, but an item or two with mana regen + clarity makes its manageble.
Passing on most ES passives and gear, all focus is on armor and hp, and keeping resists high. Might change at higher lvls, but for now I dont find a high ES that useful.

Build:

Defence: http://i.imgur.com/rZEvi7Y.jpg
Offense: http://i.imgur.com/Lg2N8u1.jpg

What are you guys thoughts on Chaos resist passives? As I see many that skip them. Not found it to be an issue yet personally.
Last edited by Coccis on Feb 9, 2013, 2:10:21 PM
is anyone actually running this with 70+?

it is just ridiculous how much more faster other range characters kill mobs while they don`t even need to take any defense passive nodes, while this build shows us to take them.

also, mana is so low that without reduced mana costs and obviously clarity you cant even hit/cast all the time

running this with gmp and faster attacks? no chance due to mana costs.

i really cant be arsed to reroll. I don`t have the time and I`m not in the mood, but that shows that this isn`t even viable in higher levels, as I found out the past few days on my own.
Last edited by danteafk on Feb 10, 2013, 2:12:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info