Achievement Design

Something happened to my post, will repost it soon. D:
(07)12/10/2014 - Rest in peace my friend, may you finally find happiness on the other side.
Last edited by Rahzen on Jan 22, 2014, 1:36:15 PM
"
shoju wrote:
"
Kezz123 wrote:
My feedback on achievements is as follow:
I dont care one bit to do them in PoE however the only times when I did care about doing achievements were in games like WoW where you had special rewards for completing some harder achievements or sets of achievements.

For instance, clearing one zone of all mobs can be one achievement with no reward however another achievement is to clear all zones in all difficulties once and has a prize that unlocks when you do. This prize could be a pet, a unique, a particle effect for your weapons, a weapon skin (maybe walking staff skin for adventurer)

anyways you get the point.

The idea is you end up getting items that SHOWOFF your achievements otherwise I really dont see the point. WoW also had titles that you could add based on your achievement.

AS a fellow WoW player, I understand where you are coming from, but I just don't see the need for those things in this game. Maybe Weapon Effects, but that takes away from the revenue of the game, and unique effects designed solely for achievements takes Dev time away from things that would make them money.

My question is...whats the point of doing achievements anyways? They are not even that easy to check / read in the menus....who reads them? who brags about it?

There was no better way to brag about an achievement than to ride your crazy arse epic dragon in front of everyone or displaying your awesome title on top of you read. but in this game....how do you even know who did what? who cares anyways? its like the infamous "COD Ratios" the only people who see them and care about them is the person who did it. OH NO MY RATIO is going down "tears" like anyone cares?

Also they could do unique items rewards.

having goal oriented achievements would motivate more people to play more and possibly buy more. I doubt it would take away anything from their sales. People who played 300-500 hours without spending a penny wont be less inclined to spend because they are now getting rewards in game. These people wont spend either way. They might still bring aboard people who will pay however.
Last edited by Kezz123 on Jan 22, 2014, 1:39:39 PM
Party diversity: Be in a full party without repeating classes.
- more unarmed skills
- crossbows
- spears
- armors mxt
- rat mtx
Forum pvp
Pugilist: punch Dominus to death.
"...we try not to be dicks." - Mark
"...i speke good englesh" - Rhys
"Bullshit, you get the game for free." - Qarl
Make 6L using only one orb of fusing :D
www.emmilius.pl
"
tyatyatya wrote:
my ideas for achievements:

social - "join a guild"
these rhoas again - "die to a rhoa charge"
is this even a build? - "have 1 hp and 0 es simultaneously"
sturdy - "reach 50k (or any other number) armour"
businessman - "complete a trade with another player"
still alive, are we? - "lower the hp of piety in the crematorium to the lowest possible"
lucky day - "find a 5link or higher on the vendor"
so, about that fish.. - "find a fishing rod"

Would this count for your 1hp 0es achievement??

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202883245

Yes, I know how bad I am for having that low of ES....
Stoutarm

Guildleader: JESUSWEPT (JESUS†)
"
ariyako wrote:
there a bugs where you pick uniq from guild stash and Achievement unlock!..again that Achievement unlock bugs keep repeat everytime you take same uniq from g stash.

own almost 50 uniq item but it still show 19/65 on "Own there Unique Items".

It's not a bug, you need to actually own the items, g stash isnt you owning them.

click the arrow next to the challenge to see the list of uniques you actually need for the achievement, more than half of the uniques in the game dont count towards the challenge.
If it doesn't touch the client then we can't ban for it. -Chris
Frozen Release

Kill Hailrake in each difficulty on the same character.
IGN: Bleric

8/8 Challenges Nemesis.
There are people that do achievements only if there are rewards and those who do them regardless so in the end it's a design choice. Personally I support the non-rewards choice because otherwise people would feel forced to complete them just to obtain the reward. The way achievements are designed in PoE is to either push players to learn/fiddle with different game mechanics or to offer something different to do for those who just got bored. Variety is definitely a good thing in any game.

Personal generic suggestions on achievements:
  • Evade achievements that require to die, as someone said death should be an error to learn from, not an achievement.
  • Evade achievements that require cash items to complete.
  • Rework the All Ears achievements. As it has been said before this achievement should be account global and not character specific.
  • Change Beginner's Luck map to The Coast. What makes this a good achievement as it is now? It's exactly what you don't want, a repeat of the same action x number of times till you get what you want. It is similar to the full clear with the exception that you can only use new characters, making it extremely boring for both new and veteran players.

Here are the achievements I would add:
  • Armored: have at least x armor
  • Ethereal: have at least x evasion
  • Safe in your shell: have grace, determination and discipline active at the same time without being on low life (requires either passive nodes or gems and thinking)
  • A matter of weight: have at least -x% OR +x% move speed (gives players a choice on how to handle it)
  • Glare of Solaris: have at least +x% light radius increased (requires passives or specific gears, fitting name)
  • Puppeteer: have Kobe pull an enemy monster instead of you (sounds pretty fun, might be subject to desync)
  • One handed: kill a unique monster without using active skills (incentive for new players to discover and learn about trigger gems, and for everyone to use them)
  • Perfected: kill normal/cruel/merciless Gneiss within x seconds in solo (a good way for players to test their damage as they progress through the game and improve their gear. I chose Gneiss as it's quite beefy while being in a easy to reach, clear, non-laggy zone)
  • Crash dummy: get hit for at least x damage (a good way for players to understand how damage taken works and their survivability)
  • might add more if anything comes to mind.

• As for the "repeating an acton x times" I do agree most of the time they're not achievements, because it's something you do as you play more than something you work for and achieve. For such I believe Milestones should be added. Milestones are simply a feedback on your stand on the game at a determined moment and can include all those "kill x monsters" and "loot x whatever items". Milestones are statistics shown as achievements, definitely something I would like to have.
    (07)12/10/2014 - Rest in peace my friend, may you finally find happiness on the other side.
    Last edited by Rahzen on Jan 26, 2014, 5:30:48 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info