Something constructive concerning the random invite ticker

I was not able to find anything similar in this forum so I thought I can give my Idea a try.

This forum is full of people crying about inactive people who get invites from the random invite ticker at the front page.
My idea is that Betakeys that were not turned in over a period of (let's say) two weeks could just be random redistributed again.

Naturally those who got the key and did not turn it in should be removed from the random ticker giving them new invites but not for until open beta start rather for a period of (let's say) another two weeks.

This would end up in more invites being actively used and not excluding anyone from joining the beta.

I am very interested in what you guys in the forum and also what the people from GGG think about this.

"
shogun1991 wrote:
it should happen but i dont know if there is a way to do it.

They normally should know the time they sent out Betakey and they can check if that key already has been turned in.
I'm not very professional at things like this but it should not be that difficult.

"
Asgrim wrote:
[...]all you need is a script to check and see if those keys recorded have been activated- and if not, after two weeks, render the key invalid (even if not used by the original receiver, he would still have a copy of the key in his email... two people having the same key? Sloppy.) and generate a new one to send out to a different random user.[...]

You got a point there.

"
Exigo wrote:
I think they are fine with the fact that they have not active beta members because that means less server are required.

If they want more active people in the beta they could easily change the timer.

So what do they plan to do when launching open beta? Sooner or later they need to stock up on servers.
Until then it's probably 4 months though.

"
Asgrim wrote:

I wish I could find a quote for you, but GGG has stated they are having no problems with the load on their game server, the server client was built with thousands of people in mind, and it's not like they are doing stress testing anyway- it's still closed beta/alpha.

The only reason they stated for not inviting more people was to keep the feedback and population on a level they can manage. If they didn't, the whole point of testing would be lost.

Valuable piece of information.

"
Last 5 random persons were with 0 forum posts and last time seen on the day of registration, at least 6 months ago.[...]

This does not imply that they will not use their beta account, some people still check their E-mail inbox. I'm just assuming most of them are not.

"
Drunkspleen wrote:
[...] random ticker keys are automatically applied to the account.

If that's the case your idea would not work.

GGG could disable the account after a period of two weeks (after the invite) without any login, send a notification via E-mail and just invite someone else without delay.

Edit:
- Killing mistakes.
- Answering people in first post.
Last edited by NetworxSniper on Sep 29, 2011, 4:49:45 AM
+1 but i think GGG will not make something about this
it should happen but i dont know if there is a way to do it.
It can happen, easily. They don't generate keys out of their butts, they have a generator. If it automatically creates keys and sends them out,somewhere in that process the key can be recorded.

Then, all you need is a script to check and see if those keys recorded have been activated- and if not, after two weeks, render the key invalid (even if not used by the original receiver, he would still have a copy of the key in his email... two people having the same key? Sloppy.) and generate a new one to send out to a different random user.

A recycle program such as this would be a great way to set up lists of people, like active veterans, very active forum users, etc. who deserve keys more then others, but have not received them yet, and have the recycle script specifically target them.

Of course, this requires an extra programmer to write the script instead of programming PoE, this requires a healthy server not under load, and this requires a bit of time to set up and run.

All things which are probably not going to happen.
Love, love is a verb
Love is a doing word
Fearless on my breath....
Last edited by Asgrim on Sep 11, 2011, 4:18:29 PM
Is this relevant to only such few people? :(

Also: Bump
Last edited by NetworxSniper on Sep 11, 2011, 4:32:51 PM
They probably wont change much, they already have a high amount of testers, there just trying to fuel the flame.
+1
From what I understand the key timer doesn't send someone a key, but instead just enables their account for beta.

A better solution is to just calm down because you'll get in eventually. They recently dropped the timer from 35 minutes to 25 minutes, so you'll get in sometime.
"
Carbon wrote:
[...]A better solution is to just calm down because you'll get in eventually. They recently dropped the timer from 35 minutes to 25 minutes, so you'll get in sometime.

I'm not trying to get a betakey for myself, it's more like trying to improve the chances of getting a key for everyone (and i think my idea could enable that).
Killed some time with playing Minecraft 1.8 Pre-release and the full version (with less bugs) should be released tomorrow, so i guess there's more time to kill efficiently.
In october some good game arrive to play insead of this poor september
torchlight 2 and HMM6 (good for me) maybe they will increase the number flagged account for POE in 2 or 3 weeks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info