Logging out to get back to town fast... is it good for the game?

"
KoTao wrote:
There was a conversation in hc global a couple weeks back where Chris (who also uses this trick) mentioned something about streamlining those quests so the logout~login was no longer necessary, though he didnt go into much detail as to exactly what would change.

I think he was referring to adding exits to these areas. Ship Graveyard Cave received an exit at the end a few months back. Old Fields Cave received one more recently. I imagine that every dead end area will get one eventually.
Forum Sheriff
I think logging out to get back to town fast is necessary. Some people have very poor connections and are already heavily punished enough.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
"
anubite wrote:
I think logging out to get back to town fast is necessary. Some people have very poor connections and are already heavily punished enough.

Wait...what?
What does saving TP scroll have to do with bad connection?

Or you just renamed: cowardly-insta-blink-blink-emergency-log-out-using-alt+F4(or even scripted to auto kill game process when on low life - this should be a keystone! LOL), to "logging out to get back to town"?

Cheap tricks are cheap.
I know I have very slow loading times, and I still wouldn't use this, it feels like cheating. When I party usually all party members have run off by the time the instance has loaded for me. Logging out and back in to get to town fast I consider cheating. you can buy a portal scroll if you really need too.
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
I used this cheap trick as a macro for the first time in the 1-week Turbo race.

This alone will significantly increase your chances of staying alive. I bailed a few times because of my connection or desyncs, but I also bailed because I was going to die.

Aside from that, I also used it as a town portal a few times and I used it because it can be safer and faster when running places (this will depend on your system configuration, connection and paranoia I guess).

I used to think this shouldn't be allowed. After release, with certain events/leagues it should probably be disallowed, I'm not sure with the nature of the game though. In beta testing, I don't see why this should be disallowed, with the possible exception of certain events.
"
obadonke wrote:
How about
B (D3 idea): enforcing a 10-second delay before letting you exit (or at least, before letting you log in again)?

How about not, as this is annoying when trying to exit the game. True 10 seconds isn't alot of time, but if it isn't there now no reason to add it. I don't believe we need either of these added to the game.
"
bl1tz_devil wrote:
"
obadonke wrote:
How about
B (D3 idea): enforcing a 10-second delay before letting you exit (or at least, before letting you log in again)?

How about not, as this is annoying when trying to exit the game. True 10 seconds isn't alot of time, but if it isn't there now no reason to add it. I don't believe we need either of these added to the game.

They have this feature implemented, currently it has just been turned on for cut-throat though. In cut-throat it's so people can't just log out to avoid getting PKed
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
Last edited by Faerie_Storm on Nov 26, 2012, 10:41:19 PM
It's commonly used in act 1 at short races when you don't have got tp scrolls.

I use it myself if I don't have got any TP scrolls ready.
I see no chance to 'disallow' logging out, beside perhaps to disable it outside of the towns - and I dont see this as an option at all.

The (single) effect is very minor, and its available fo everyone to make use of it, so its no exclusive advantage to any.

Denying exiting the game (as disble Alt-F4) is very bad and causing high chances for frustration - at least as long the game has that much issues with lag and other critical 'effects'. (noticed a lot of desyncs lately)

And, I also dont want to die from a connection loss on my clients side - which I had lots of, too, actually...up to frequent disconnects at a ~3-minute base :(

Hopefully this will change next week, when switching from DSL to cable network.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
The disconnect timeout is impossible to deal with from a player's perspective, currently, disconnect in any sort of combat situation and you're likely dead (unless you've blanketed everything with summons).

The connection timeout really needs to be an adjustable option. Desync we can deal with by quitting, even if it's not ideal, it's something.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info