why ETERNAL ORBS are really BAD for the game !

"
Jojas wrote:
By themselves eternals are great: they are a step away from RNG and towards real crafting, and who wouldn't want that?
Because orbs aren't crafting; they are gambling.

Gambling is the process of mass item sink in exchange for rerolls (meaning: heavy RNG) which allow for possible BiS/nearperfect gear. The primary purpose of gambling is the establishment of a currency — that is, an item which those at the top of the economic food chain desire, since, due to their position on the food chain, there is no gear on the market which they desire. This allows those lower on the chain to trade gambling materials — that is, currency — for gear from those higher on the chain.

Crafting is the process of specific but small-scale item sink in exchange for predictable results. Any crafting system which allows BiS/nearperfect gear is heinously flawed; instead, the focus should be on ensuring a minimal level of progression. Crafting is fundamentally aimed at being an RNG bypass, allowing those with poor luck a minimum level of subsistence.

Quicksilver Flask + white boots + Orb of Augmentation = blue movespeed boots? That is a crafting. It doesn't make anything BiS, it doesn't involve any RNG, and it makes an item which you might need early on if you want to keep up. (True crafting is very important in racing.)

Note that it's a vendor formula. That's because that's the true crafting system in this game, not orbs.

The core reason why the Eternal Orb is such an abomination is that it tries to convert the gambling system into a crafting system, allowing for something vaguely resembling the crafting of BiS gear. The crafting of BiS gear should never be allowed! At the same time, the mass confusion regarding what crafting truly is has caused vendor formula — which, ironically, mostly are used to craft gambling materials — to fail to meet their potential as a true crafting system which can be utilized to curb worst-case-scenario RNG.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 23, 2014, 5:24:02 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Crafting is the process of specific but small-scale item sink in exchange for predictable results. Any crafting system which allows BiS/nearperfect gear is heinously flawed; instead, the focus should be on ensuring a minimal level of progression. Crafting is fundamentally aimed at being an RNG bypass, allowing those with poor luck a minimum level of subsistence.

If player must spend a bulk of reagents (that takes VERY long to obtain) in order to receive BiS item with 100% predictable result - isnt that a crafting?

The only flaw in PoE "crafting" is that it is, in fact, gambling, and your results will be too dependant on luck (and you even dont know your chances for sure).

Most games (including very good ones) allow players to craft BiS gear. I see nothing wrong in that, if crafting cost is appropriate.

Furthermore, if you want to keep a stable economy in your game, you MUST make BiS items craftable (or gambleable, as in PoE). Otherwise, after a certain point, currency in the game will became useless, and a massive inflation will occur. This already happened in Diablo 3 - gold literally turned into crackpots. No, not because of gold-farming bots (though, they helped it), but because you cant use gold to improve your gear after a certain point (except gems). You can gamble for level 62 items, but it's much easier just to kill some mobs for level 63 items, which are much better. You can craft level 63 items, but gold isnt an issue for them, you need to kill mobs first. So, why should you trade some useful item for gold, at all? You will lose item and receive nothing? The only way will be RMT, as it isnt affected by currency inflation. And since GGG dont plan to allow RMT, it's just essential for them to allow crafting BiS items.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
I think mirrors are useful because they help cap the price of rares and keep inflation in check.

This is because the price of a BIS rare will eventually be only worth the cost of a mirror and mirror fee. If people overcharge, someone else will make a similar item and the price will get pushed down closer to the mirror service price again.

Good point.

Mirror's drop rates are really ridiculous though ...
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
To reiterate, I am of the present opinion that Eternals capacitate any problems mirrors create and fixing the former would vitiate the latter.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
"
Veta321 wrote:
To reiterate, I am of the present opinion that Eternals capacitate any problems mirrors create and fixing the former would vitiate the latter.
Exemplary diction, good sir!
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Jojas wrote:
By themselves eternals are great: they are a step away from RNG and towards real crafting, and who wouldn't want that?
Because orbs aren't crafting; they are gambling.

Gambling is the process of mass item sink in exchange for rerolls (meaning: heavy RNG) which allow for possible BiS/nearperfect gear. The primary purpose of gambling is the establishment of a currency — that is, an item which those at the top of the economic food chain desire, since, due to their position on the food chain, there is no gear on the market which they desire. This allows those lower on the chain to trade gambling materials — that is, currency — for gear from those higher on the chain.

Quicksilver Flask + white boots + Orb of Augmentation = blue movespeed boots? That is a crafting. It doesn't make anything BiS, it doesn't involve any RNG, and it makes an item which you might need early on if you want to keep up. (True crafting is very important in racing.)

Note that it's a vendor formula. That's because that's the true crafting system in this game, not orbs.

The core reason why the Eternal Orb is such an abomination is that it tries to convert the gambling system into a crafting system, allowing for something vaguely resembling the crafting of BiS gear. The crafting of BiS gear should never be allowed! At the same time, the mass confusion regarding what crafting truly is has caused vendor formula — which, ironically, mostly are used to craft gambling materials — to fail to meet their potential as a true crafting system which can be utilized to curb worst-case-scenario RNG.

The crafting of BiS gear, should be allowed. It should just be very rare and removed from RMT.
I love non-predictable crafting and I disagree that crafting that is such is gambling and not crafting.

It's, uhhm, it's crambling ~_^

I loved the crafting in Aion for example. Go out and farm for a shit ton of materials, go through several processes which could each fail, succeed or crit. Only the crit could be used in the next stage. But you still ended up with quite a decent item if it didn't crit. To add to the harshness, you could beat the fail roll and so succeed, then it could crit but then ultimately fail the crit, leaving... nothing. It was brutal.

But I could go and farm the materials, I know I would get them, I had a good chance to create a good item at stage 1. A fair chance to create a real good item at stage 2, and little chance to create the uber weapon at stage 3, but it was crambling with high risk/cost/reward but stages where you could pull out and be content.

Damn I loved that.
The only problem was RMT, just like PoE. While Aion, being an MMO had BoE mechanics, the whole process was riddled with RMT prior to equipping.

The solution would have been to make the materials bound and the item bound prior to equip.
It's the same solution that PoE could use.
You can, with high risk/cost/reward create BiS.
But you have to go out there and get the stuff from killing monsters, and of course, the stuff actually drops (as opposed to now).

Grinder, crafter, farmer, beastie killer utopia.

But, I know this is a futile suggestion in a game full of and ran by people who value buying an item above the awesome of actually producing it from the dirt up.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Feb 25, 2014, 10:55:02 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Veta321 wrote:
Exemplary diction, good sir!

You are too kind. :)
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
-
ign: ALLRAUDER
Last edited by Luuu90 on Jul 16, 2014, 8:32:23 AM
it's happenening :O
ign: ALLRAUDER
Last edited by Luuu90 on Jul 6, 2015, 6:11:03 AM
Gnirit gnitteg si siht.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type