horizontal = percentage is addiditive/substractive
vertical = percentage is multiplicative/divisive

Examples:

Horizontal added Phys-Dmg:

123 pdps base + 20% phys from belt - 20% pdps from anything:

real pdps = 123+(123/100*(20-20))
real pdps = 123

Vertical decreased Trap-Damage from MT:

300 edps base + 40% from MT LV21 (horizontal) - 40% from MT (vertical).

real epdps = (300 + (300/100*40))/100*(100-40)
real epdps = (300 + 120)/100*60
real epdps = 420/100*60
real epdps = 252

---

There are some mods that are vertical however having a horizontal increase and a vertical decrease on a single gem seems just weird / wrong to me (if it works that way).
Last edited by thelegendaryof on Feb 15, 2014, 11:05:46 AM
Huh. I guess I can see where that wording comes from.

Anyways, as mentioned, the penalties are meant to be multiplicative. If you could just negate the Damage penalty of a Support entirely by just leveling it a bit, they'd be far too powerful. Multitrap and LMP would just literally triple your Damage output. There's supposed to be a tradeoff :P
(and they're still a big net gain anyways)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 15, 2014, 11:23:26 AM
What net-gain? You realize that you still get a DPS-Decrease even with a fully leveled level 20 Gem AND multiple Trap-Damage increases from multiple sources! right? Making them a MUST have just to run the Gem successfully with somewhat the same Damage you had before.

Bottomline: The Tradeoff is to big even for a LVL20 Gem.

I didnt do the work yet but at level 20 I cant remember ANY support gem still giving a decrease in that way. Thats why it being vertical is really bad thing in my opinion.
Last edited by thelegendaryof on Feb 15, 2014, 12:52:26 PM
The DPS tooltip does not factor in that you now throw three times the Traps. Now, with Searing Bond this doesn't really help you because it only decreases the time spent throwing Traps, but for more 'traditional' Traps such as Fire Trap or something similar, throwing three traps at once is a big boost to Damage output.

Every Support that comes with a Damage penalty has a multiplicative penalty and additive bonus, causing a net loss in Damage per Hit.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 15, 2014, 12:40:45 PM
Ok I didnt knew that one. It still seems weird to me to have to invest 3-4 as much in % increase to neglect a single % decrease thought.

Just makes things weird/complicated if it isnt even listed like that to begin with. Thought that I can understand that for some certain stuff it has to work this way for it to not be over the top. Still there 's some certain combinations in the game that are way worse and give like 250k DPS. I dont think that by having a horizontal Decrease this would be as over the top as those other builds out there. Btw. is such stuff worked on being capped?

Maybe at least reduce the overall %-decrease and/or rework the %-increase on that Gem to make it more versatile for using it with the Trap support gem then?

p.s. @ Devs: Kudos for such a good overall work on PoE aside from that. Been a long time D2 Player in the past (Core & LoD). This game mechanics tops it by far. And I dont feel regret spending RL money in the itemstore (which I already did to a good amount) like I did for GW2.
Last edited by thelegendaryof on Feb 15, 2014, 1:48:31 PM
"
Just makes things weird/complicated if it isnt even listed like that to begin with.

It is listed though. GGG has made the wording in Path of Exile very exact: Increased and Reduced are additive modifiers, More and Less are multiplicative. There's generally very few words in a description that don't provide some amount of information.

Just one of those things you have to learn first.

"
Btw. is such stuff worked on being capped?

What kinda stuff? Builds with 250k DPS that kill themselves on Reflect? :P
Mk then that was a lack of knowledge on my part it seems. thanks for the info :)
"
I think it would be better if the traps were laid out in a cluster, in a triangle shape rather than a straight line (vertical/horizontal doesn't make any sense to me).

Here's a demonstration:

Best way:

0 0

rather than

0 0 0 or 0

Also, when close to walls or small things on the ground, the traps mess up and only sets 1 trap, rather than 3.

PLEASE. THESE CHANGES ARE NECESSARY. DON'T IGNORE US.
oh nvm my bad, thought i detected a mistake in the formula, but missed out on a number there^^
IGN: @ShocklerMolesh

Map Management Resource:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/339977
Last edited by Quak3 on Oct 12, 2014, 2:54:11 PM
"
"
I think it would be better if the traps were laid out in a cluster, in a triangle shape rather than a straight line (vertical/horizontal doesn't make any sense to me).

Here's a demonstration:

Best way:

0 0

rather than

0 0 0 or 0

Also, when close to walls or small things on the ground, the traps mess up and only sets 1 trap, rather than 3.

PLEASE. THESE CHANGES ARE NECESSARY. DON'T IGNORE US.

+1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info