[3.0] How to Flicker. Two Handed Weapon Edition!

@angrytitle
Well ... to each his own! :)

@pavel.roark
Well like Ezrael49 said there isn't a reason why not to. Though this build really isn't the best boss killer, it is more oriented towards fast general map clearing and farming.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Thx for the guide, flicker has been one of the few skills i never bothered to stay with so far.
Mainly cause looking at a large tv screen or sometimes a beamer making half the wall move made me feel sick.

So heres some of my experience so far.

1st started this build in essence, things were ok til i finally got the multistike support.
(went 2h axes from the start and didnt bother with the built in multistrike unique weapon whatever it was)

From that point it became pretty comfy to just flicker all over the place as long as i was able to keep up charges and hopefully not loose my last meal.
(happened to find a doedres flask, it reminded me of gaining charges with oldschool self cast dischargers, and i just used it for the time being)

Could say that early leveling went pretty good, been laughing good and hard more than once flying around the screen without having a clue where i might end up next.

Been running into a few problems lately while going from lv85-90 however which is rather unusual from my experience.
(Have been using a rasa to make best use of all 6 sockets asap, its not a 1st char either so i had acess to whatever leveling gear i wanted to try out)

After a few levels of feeling pretty weak in the merc lake which was kind of embarassing,
i was finally able to switch from a kaoms primacy to a 5L disfavour.
(keeping the flicker in the rasa after comparing dmg to 5L axe)

While i actually expected to basically get endgame viable performance out of this setup, i wasnt really able to deal with about half the map bosses.
Anything that wasnt willing to just die in a matter of 3-5 seconds was becoming a completely annoying.
(3-4 dmg related passives and a helmet enchant missing for far less than 100% increased flicker/2h dmg in total. 7 charges switching with darkrays and blood dance sometimes)

Since i actually like the build and can pretty much sum up enjoyable melee setups with a single hands 5 fingers, id really like to try and keep going a bit further.

So now i wonder just how much of a difference would a 6l flicker in the axe be over the 6l in a rasa ive been using?

Fused one in standard so i can make a new char or try it after the merge, but since the 6th link would most likely be faster attacks going by this guide, i would gain exactly nothing that solves my problem which seems to be dmg per hit and or keeping up charges without trash to kill narby.

Should i just bury the char and get whatever the bis rare dagger would be and maybe try LL/Crit if i want to more comfortably farm high end maps?

Or am i actually going to turn from weak to ok in a matter of a helmet enchant, 50-80% increased dmg and a bit of speed that wont let me hit harder or keep my charges up for longer?

Any suggestions welcome specially if you have played high tier maps preferably without having to keep an eye on the mods.

p.s. has anyone gotten one of the flicker mtx effects? are they worth buying or rather not? appears that in the shops video the char is moving super slw hile im not sure the effect is even visible at actual speeds that people have in the game
Last edited by SmokeYaSs on Nov 6, 2016, 2:06:17 PM
Now let's see.
Using your 6L setup in your axe opposed to your chest is not a big deal, having a flicker strike enchant doesn't make that big of a difference too. But other things do - first of all daresso's defiance vs tabula rasa. The Daresso chest makes a very significant impact on your survivability. It is a very underestimated unique that in fact is quite powerful and can literally make ( if you have it ) or break ( if you don't ) your endgame. Another thing is the flasks. Now i don't know your flask setup but Atziri 's Promise + lion's roar + taste of hate literally double your damage while providing substantial defensive boosts.

Another imporant thing for boss fights is frenzy. Running out of frenzy charges in harder content is inevitable and a simple click allows you to finish off the boss. I really can't understand why some players outright refuse to use frenzy when they need it ... no idea really ... it costs them nothing yet it is a gamechanger.

Overall if you can post me your gear and tree it would be much easier for me to point out what can be improved and to speculate how big of a difference these changes would be.

As for the flicker strike mtxs - i use the the vapour flicker strike and i personally like it.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
I posted a thread in the duelist area if you could look at my talent tree. I want to use Oro's Sacrifice with high ignite chance and the Emberwake ring to keep producing Frenzy charges.
I'm really no expert in Oro flicker strike builds, i'd suggest to ask someone that has posted such a build, because i'm sure that such a guy would be of more help to you than me :)
Had to sadly give up my plans for the league atm cause i just wasted all the fusings i had saved barely ending up getting back another 5l on my axe.

After some equally bad luck in standard then, i was finally able to 6l another axe and a daressos. Just to realize i probably will be using a 3+3L or 4+2L chest in the end.
FML what a day...

The good part is now i have acess to not only a rather cheap promise and roar but can look into a taste of hate aswell as any other flasks and possible gear upgrades.
I saw a lot of flat phys dmg on some of your example gear that i didnt have on my self found set in essence so far.
Got to check again but iirc theres plenty room for more flat dmg than i currently have now on the ammy aswell as both rings.

For the frenzy use you mentioned, its less of a problem such as "i dont want to" or "this isnt even a 1 key build", than simply me wondering if your actually supposed to run out of charges and end up restocking with frenzy on a regular basis.

Or rather when did you experience bosses not straight forward dying anymore?

I wasnt even able to kill some t8/9 bosses and lots of t10+.
Many of them were just so likely to kill me more than once simply taking too long to bring down.
Unless i cheated my way around the whole mess abusing several ports maybe^^
So i ended up skipping or playing other maps for that tier.

This is part of whats getting me killed i suspect:
-I deal less dmg with frenzy than with flicker leeching less
-dont have the leech support that i might have on my flicker link in bad cases
-instead of being a hard to hit target, i pretty much just stand there
Ending up taking dmg in this situation with a char that barely has any armour and in my case will lack both my granite and basalt flasks too after i switch to lions and ToH, brought me to wonder about the whole running out of charges in the 1st place.

Thinking back to self cast discharge i cant count the times i had to start casting ice spears to recharge so the utility skill use itself is ok but im worried about the whole boss and possibly dying against them problem i had so far.

I hope that switching to daressos for the endurance charges will help me out a bit.
Plus 6l axe , the 40% flicker enchant, 40% passive dmg im lacking and the rest of the flasks i guess its worth another shot.

I was thinking of actually linking a multistrike to frenzy or even making frenzy the 6th gem in my axe where most people seem to have the faster attacks support that i found rather useless. Yeah shame on me i know, but its just a thought so far to instantly gather enough charges and start chaining flickerstrikes again.

Ill check how things turn out most likely in a day or two when i decided to run a new char in standard this time.
Think essense is dead for me being broke and not getting an upgrade in my currentky bad situation.

Another question tho, regarding that final link in my flicker setup.
I have
Flicker / added fire / "culling strikes" (from slayer) / fortify / melee physical damage / "melee splash" (from slayer) / multistrike

Ive been trying the usual things such as faster attacks which i found pretty useless.
Clear speed vs trash mobs isnt really my issue as 9/10 non boss monsters die fast enough the way it is.
I have to stop attacking and backtrack to claim at least part of the drops often enough too and just dont feel as if killspeed was the department im lacking in at this time.

I was hoping for more dmg per hit which would make melee damage on full life interesting but i guess kinda "reserving" 4hp for me makes it unusable in the 1st place.

Right now i have added chaos damage in the 6th link and will try a lv4 empower too as it both gets a boost from the axe and then boosts the flicker again. No idea what that might do compared to the added chaos in the end.

Im still lost on this one and guess ill just try to look at each support a-z plus its quality bonus again. Maybe i missed something adding any kind of phys/melee/attack damage so far.

Any suggestions or good reasons why most people seem to prefer faster attacks would be welcome.
Is it making you that much faster against regular mobs where you feel you are lacking otherwise?
Or is it just the same problem i have lacking better options?
It's hard for me to say exactly at what point you are expected to use frenzy in boss fights as a support attack because it depends on so many things - your damage, the boss that you are facing, the map mods, the number of charges that you have when you begin the combat, the amount of trash mobs around the boss and so on and so on. The only answer i can give is - use it when you are out of charges and when the boss is still standing - again not to actually kill the boss with it, but to regain 2-3 frenzy charges 9 after all each charge = 3 hits with flicker strike )

Why you die ... of course there can be many reasons for that. Not enough damage due to lack of flasks thus making it more likely to run out of charges. No daresso, which means less life, less evasion, less dodge, less life leech, less armour, and the loss of crucial endurance charges ( which of course give flat physical damage reduction unlike armour )

Now for faster attacks as your 6th link. I really don't see how anyone can find it use when from my experience it greatly increased the clearing speed in general mapping ( and i mean greatly! ) and of course the faster attacks result in better survivability in boss fights. But if you want more raw damage there are some other options like "poison" or "weapon elemental damage". You could try them out and see if any of them fit you well.
As for frenzy + multistrike. There is no point to link those 2 together because you get only 1 charge per 3 frenzy hits and in the end even if you are attacking faster you are licked in place longer and it takes more time to generate charges
currently i am on a tabula rasa (+1gem) 6L setup and have a 413pdps axe. Sitting on 2 ex atm, could buy a 600pdps rare axe or a cheap 6l chest. Any recommendations? The Character name is "Flikoer"
"
currently i am on a tabula rasa (+1gem) 6L setup and have a 413pdps axe. Sitting on 2 ex atm, could buy a 600pdps rare axe or a cheap 6l chest. Any recommendations? The Character name is "Flikoer"

Rare axes are overpriced. Much more cost-efficient to go Atziri's Disfavour.

In your situation I would save up a little bit more so you can get a 6L Daresso's Defiance.
Use a Hezmana's Bloodlust as your weapon until you have saved up for a Disfavour.
"
Dysonius wrote:

In your situation I would save up a little bit more so you can get a 6L Daresso's Defiance.
Use a Hezmana's Bloodlust as your weapon until you have saved up for a Disfavour.

ok, got the Defiance now, was already using the Hezman axe. Next step Disfavour? i am still using a meginords girdle belt, maybe i should ugprade this one

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info