[3.0] How to Flicker. Two Handed Weapon Edition!

"
KorgothBG wrote:
Ah, actually that was what i was expecting ^^
Of course by doing crit you will end up with higher damage, and of course if you are already using a crit build just by swapping the gems you will get better results by using crit weapons .. after all that's what your passive tree/gear is build for :) ( thus abyssus is worth X times more due to its crit multi mod ).
But if you are going for a crit flicker i'd strongly recommend to go for a dagger + shield build ( if you can afford a good dagger ), or if you really want to do a sword ... i'd still suggest to go for 1h+ shield. There is little no point at all to go dual wield with flicker strike. ( the only thing i can think of is twin terrors, but that's hardly something that you can't live without ). With a shield you can take advantage of the absolutely OP block mechanics and insane shield defense nodes, drop the acrobatics and amass very hgh amounts of armour and block chance. ( or do something very different and go for CI or low life ) and i wouldn't pick slayer for sure .... with acuity the leech passives ( which are a big part of what makes the slayer useful) would be wasted ... i'd rather go for champion ( if i stick to duelist at all ) ... at least that's what i would've done :P

In any case i wish you luck and i'll be interested to see how it works out :)

As for shield vs DW, after playing this game extensively with both max block and high dps build I actually feel that in hard content (T12-15, uber), the real tankiness comes from high hp pool to not get 1 shot and super high speed leech from high dmg + VP/acuity.

As a result, my crit guy with abyssus can clear core malachai with little effort but it is a nightmare for my max block eq gladiator.

WAs for CI, first i need a good dagger $$$, then have to deal with stun and freeze (Chayula + Auxium)... sounds like too much work to make it work :P
"
KorgothBG wrote:
again i'd strongly suggest champion .. it still frees you up a socket.

how long does the leech effect last? As I will not have capped crit, maybe 70% ish if I don't run assassin, it will still be up most of the time?
"
WWBarb wrote:

As for shield vs DW, after playing this game extensively with both max block and high dps build I actually feel that in hard content (T12-15, uber), the real tankiness comes from high hp pool to not get 1 shot and super high speed leech from high dmg + VP/acuity.

The thing is that i really don't see how dual wielding significantly boosts your damage with flicker strike ... a single handed attack that alternates your weapons.

and like you said part of a character's tankiness comes from a big life pool ... yet another reason to go for 1h+shield and not dual wield if you ask me.

"
WWBarb wrote:

As a result, my crit guy with abyssus can clear core malachai with little effort but it is a nightmare for my max block eq gladiator.

i highly doubt that the only difference between those two characters is the block vs dual wield :D
It's like saying :"Man i got to America by plane a lot faster than by boat ... and the crew of the plane consisted of far fewer members thus a vehicle with fewer people to operate it gets you faster to your destination."

"
WWBarb wrote:

how long does the leech effect last? As I will not have capped crit, maybe 70% ish if I don't run assassin, it will still be up most of the time?

Can't say ... though with 3/4 of your leech being applied instantly i kind of doubt that you would have your regular leech working as often as you might want it to.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on May 8, 2016, 7:13:32 PM
"
KorgothBG wrote:
"
WWBarb wrote:

The thing is that i really don't see how dual wielding significantly boosts your damage with flicker strike ... a single handed attack that alternates your weapons.

and like you said part of a character's tankiness comes from a big life pool ... yet another reason to go for 1h+shield and not dual wield if you ask me.

"
WWBarb wrote:

i highly doubt that the only difference between those two characters is the block vs dual wield :D
It's like saying :"Man i got to America by plane a lot faster than by boat ... and the crew of the plane consisted of far fewer members thus a vehicle with fewer people to operate it gets you faster to your destination."

"
WWBarb wrote:

Can't say ... though with 3/4 of your leech being applied instantly i kind of doubt that you would have your regular leech working as often as you might want it to.

By taking off one of my 1h sword my dps in hideout drops by 40% while the only relevant DW passive skill is twin terror. attack speed is only one factor, there is also a 10% MORE dmg bonus for being DW, not to mention global 50% crit multi from a weapon.

But I agree champion is the better choice if going crit, as it allows me to continue using Abyssus, which outplays any gem link in dps department.

My gladiator is at similar gear level with the crit guy, in lower tier content he is a god, face tanking 8 mod Abaxoth/Haast etc. but eventually he will take big hits in higher maps and it takes a few seconds for the leech to recover which is just not as reliable as instantly leeching to full.

Will report back with results! :D
Gladiator isnt bad choice either, 75% chance to get frenzy charge due to ascendancy without poacher curse.

Stats with no flask and level 16 gems.

Dual Wield:

http://imgur.com/lByvwst
http://imgur.com/4UfaPsK (rumi in this one, 54% block without)

1h/Shield:

http://imgur.com/S2ObAXx
http://imgur.com/Vt38q1S

edit:will post a T15 video if i find a map.
Last edited by WWBarb on May 8, 2016, 10:07:31 PM
Nice Guide @Kargoth

I'm rolling a Marauder atm inspired by this build. At this point I don't know if its a good idea to try it with a Berserker (if its finished).

Reasoning behind my Idea / choise - This is my very first Flicker attempt, and I don't wanted to roll a Shadow. If flicker fails for me (maybe not my playstyle) I can change to EQ with a slightly change in the tree.

My planned tree so far:

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAQHcBS0HdQmWDY0TTBQgF-EhVSGQI_Ym-CcgLPsuUzBxMHcwfDGeNZI5DjpCOuE9_D7PQKBDMUd-Sn1LeEz_TZJN404qTjJQR1FHWGNZ_loaW69eE18_X9BhIWRSZU1lp287dO12f3asd-N4DXh6eWh673t0e4x82X7ghMSE2YTvhVKHaod2iiKNfY2_l3meV6OKplenbaknqW6plK2NrlC18r02vea-p8AawKbBBMGjwzPEWM9-02_UI9i92WHawdw93ajg2OJh45_kUeoQ6hjrCe4O7w7yRfZI9zL4X_jr_MX-Cv5r_o8=

Suggestions are welcome.

ps: I didn't checked all 136 pages of this guide :D
█▀▀▌ █▌█▀▀▀ █▀▀▌█▄░▌
█▀▀█ █▌▀▀▀█ █░░▌█▀▌▌
█▄▄▌ █▌█▄▄█ █▄▄▌█░█▌
"
eviL_Bison wrote:
Nice Guide @Kargoth

I'm rolling a Marauder atm inspired by this build. At this point I don't know if its a good idea to try it with a Berserker (if its finished).

Reasoning behind my Idea / choise - This is my very first Flicker attempt, and I don't wanted to roll a Shadow. If flicker fails for me (maybe not my playstyle) I can change to EQ with a slightly change in the tree.

My planned tree so far:

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAQHcBS0HdQmWDY0TTBQgF-EhVSGQI_Ym-CcgLPsuUzBxMHcwfDGeNZI5DjpCOuE9_D7PQKBDMUd-Sn1LeEz_TZJN404qTjJQR1FHWGNZ_loaW69eE18_X9BhIWRSZU1lp287dO12f3asd-N4DXh6eWh673t0e4x82X7ghMSE2YTvhVKHaod2iiKNfY2_l3meV6OKplenbaknqW6plK2NrlC18r02vea-p8AawKbBBMGjwzPEWM9-02_UI9i92WHawdw93ajg2OJh45_kUeoQ6hjrCe4O7w7yRfZI9zL4X_jr_MX-Cv5r_o8=

Suggestions are welcome.

ps: I didn't checked all 136 pages of this guide :D

Looks fine for a "standard" melee char, but if you want to do red maps with hard mods, you will need something extra: either instant leech, or the super leech bonus from Slayer. I believe. But you are doing 2H RT and need to VP is problematic with blood rage.(you can skip blood rage and run poacher curse with blood dance but then there are curse immu maps)So really, slayer is probably overall more suitable for 2h non-crit flicker.

HOWEVER!! if you can live with skipping curse-immu map or swapping to cyclone for those maps, then take VP and Berserker is a very fine choice, you can even take "cloak in savagery" and do T15 maps with it. (because of godlike 100% leech)

I am having a blast with my crit instant leech/high block gladiator flicker, and planning to do a berseker DW flicker atm as well. I am not taking VP so I can run blood rage because I have an acuity glove.
Thank you for your feedback :)

I'll have to see how the Char will go. Right now he's in the leveling process anyways and due to a lack of time (filthy casual here lol) idk if I hit red maps (2wk Race).

Your point about the 2h Flicker with slayer sounds logical to me.

I will use the Blasphemy Poachers / hatred combo with blood rage and later on blood dance. Relying on a curse means avoid cure immune maps or find a way to solve it. (I played a Trapper with enfeeble blasphemy)

But to be realistic, I'm sure I can tell later on if the Berserker variant can do T15 maps or not. Damagewise for sure, survivability wise, idk. Maybe not with Flickerstrike. But this will show itself with the first red maps.

If its wished or appreciated I can leave my leveling / progress expierience here. (But hontestly I think you and Kargoth know what you are talking about and its not needed)

I'm also interested what Kargoth has to say or what he thinks. Just curious :D
█▀▀▌ █▌█▀▀▀ █▀▀▌█▄░▌
█▀▀█ █▌▀▀▀█ █░░▌█▀▌▌
█▄▄▌ █▌█▄▄█ █▄▄▌█░█▌
To counter the curse immune mod, I switch my Malicious Intent jewel (5% chance to Gain Unholy Might for 4 seconds on Melee Kill) with

problem solved :)
I agree that Berserker is not the ideal option for this build, very far from it really and it is no match compared to ... well ... any of the duelist sub-classes, but of course it will not "break" the build, though it will be sub-optimal for sure.

I must disagree that instant leech or slayer's leech is required for T12+ maps, the very high amounts of life regen ( due to tree and blood dance boots ) with the regular leech combined with the fact that you almost never take actual damage ( due to flicker strike's nature and acrobatics, phase acrobatics ) ьха the occasional panic flask are more than enough when it comes to things that don't one shot you. As for things that do ... well ... neither instant leech nor slayer's leech will help you with that. The things that will help you against one-shots are your flasks, big enough life pool, manually dodging obvious dangerous attacks ( oversoul/ dominus smash attacks etc. ) and generally playing careful. As a guy who is 150 mil exp ( 49% ) away from level 100 with this exact build i can say that i've died 4 times for the past 10 levels, all deaths from one-shots and 3 of the 4 deaths were due to my own stupidity ( 2 tiems to detonate dead strongboxes and 1 time to 12563123 frost bearers ) the 4th time was due to a Volatile Rare Golem with extra life mod on a map with -max resists and ~60% extra monster life.

As for curse immunity .. personally i don't care about it and it doesn't hinder me at all. I get enough mana from leech/basic regen, and enough charges from blood rage/blood dance. The lack of life on hit is unnoticeable. I do miss the extra flask generation but that just means that you need to use your flasks more carefully .. that's all.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on May 10, 2016, 11:47:33 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info