Ranged Attack Totem

"
dustofdeath wrote:
Unavailable

only worthy combo this far was ice shot + speed support.
Pure dps totem didnt seem to work well so went for status effects (since the debuffs didn work with it nether)

And besides that, why is it a strength focused?

most rangers are dex or int based.
eg perhaps swap the stats - lvl 2 is right now 28 str 19dex.

shouldn't it be vice verse at least?

I also noticed that and started thinking if youd actualy require to use the bow for it to shoot, or if it would scale with a melee weapon aswell.
Dont have the gem so cant test it though^^
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
"
dustofdeath wrote:
And besides that, why is it a strength focused?

most rangers are dex or int based.
eg perhaps swap the stats - lvl 2 is right now 28 str 19dex.

shouldn't it be vice verse at least?
No. Totems are a strength thing. Spell totem support is Str/Int, because spells are primarily int, and Ranged Attack Totem is Str/Dex, because Ranged attacks are (in most cases) Dex. But both of those gems are primarily strength, because the primary purpose of those gems is being totems, which is Str.

Ranged Attack Totem is not primarily a ranged attack, it's primarily a totem, which is Str. A build focused on combining totems and ranged attacks should therefore require both Dex and Str for the build (Str and Int if using wands, technically, but given that dex is secondary it shouldn't lock wand-users out of using the totem).

The purpose of the totem is not to fit directly into all the existing pure-dex ranger builds, but to provide options for mixing a Str-associated thing into a ragned build, thus providing interesting options for other builds, such as bow duelists or elemental bow templars.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Oct 2, 2012, 8:17:19 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
elemental bow templars.

<3
I figure a Lightning Arrow totem (if what I heard about them being able to be used by wand users is correct anyway which I don't know if it is) might be good for lightning-based Witches as a way to spread Shock, but I don't know if its the case
If so, then this gem should be offered as a quest reward for Rangers at least. Seeing how it the support is for bow-users, and Rangers are the primary bow-users, it would be really odd for Rangers to not be able to receive this support gem as a quest reward.

Edit: Nevermind, it is offered as a quest reward, after finding Silk's Spear on Cruel difficulty. Odd that it didn't offer it before that.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Oct 3, 2012, 3:21:57 PM
I feel like a really good opportunity was missed with the introduction of Ranged Attack Totem.

In terms of game play it's too much like Spell Totem for their to be any real point in having it as a separate gem. The only difference between the two is that it restricts the player's options by requiring a bow, and that isn't a good thing.

I apologise for doing this (promoting one of my own ideas) but I sincerely think it is worth at least considering the following thread.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48275/
Last edited by BlastMonkey on Oct 4, 2012, 11:43:31 AM
Has anyone tried toying around with puncture on a totem? Does it do too little damage to be worth the constant bleed?
"
grogor wrote:
Has anyone tried toying around with puncture on a totem? Does it do too little damage to be worth the constant bleed?

1) there is a damage penalty
2) totems currently target same closest foe at any given time

so, if totems attacked different foes based on status effects on or not, then it would be worth it for the damage penalty.
Dear GGG, why '50% reduced AS'? Spell totem does not have it, and spells are more powerful than arrows
ign: Ron
Last edited by Alegor on Oct 11, 2012, 10:47:30 AM
So is this Gem working correctly or going to be changed.

I mean it kinda sux that a ranger can use a spell totem and attach a spell to it and this works fine when he has any weapon including bow equipped.

But everyone else that wants to use a ranged skill with the Ranged attack totem cannot as they must have a bow equipped ?

So i have a lightning strike build and wish to use ranged attack totem with lightning strike but cannot as my main weapon is melee.

Just seems a bit stupid as everyone can use spell totem regardless of weapon so why should Ranged(being the operative word) attack totem be limited to bow users...

Hopefully a dev will take the time to answer this.

Thanks
Its only money. May as well spend it here.

Buy beta.

Please Do Not PM me if you have no sense of humour as to what i say on forums.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info