How to make a build - quick start guide (2.0 updated)

"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
Kirielis wrote:
The flask thing changed with release, didn't it? Just caught that today. Party kills do return flask charges now, so finding a way to manage mana with a culler or crazy DPSer in group is now less significant an issue.

Wouldn't agree on that.

How do I survive? - life, armor, evasion, CI, auras, block, dodge, ...
How do I kill? - skill, supports, damage nodes, auras, ...
How do I keep killing? - reduced mana nodes, mana regen, blood magic (gem), ...

A build that cannot answer these 3 questions or, to be specific, that relies on Mana flasks after Level 30 (or 50), isn't a real "build" to me.

What's so wrong with a build, that USES mana flasks? After all, there is Divination Distillate...
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Hi. Have a few basic theory crafting questions.

A friend and I have been playing for a while (soft core), successfully gotten a few builds into the mid 80's, so having done fine using others' build templates, we are noobs to theory crafting and ready to try our hand at it.

that being said:

1. I get that Life/ES should be over 150%

2. Says here dont worry about dmg, but I cant agree if we want to survive higher maps or make it to atziri. All the builds that rock stack dmg, i just dont know how much,
so:
How much dmg should we be stacking?
as an elemental caster?
as melee?

also have a few questions about spell dmg nodes, vs cast speed, vs specific/general elemental dmg, but that may be too much to ask, unless someone is inspired to discuss.

3. how much % mana regen on the planned tree should we shoot for to run 20/20 AA?

4. i realize this next question has too many variables to answer well, but anything general will help.
To get a mana pool that can sustain MOM after reserve, what type of increased mana are we looking at stacking on tree? (not sure we want to go this route, more clarity on numbers will help).

i know i need at least 500-700 unreserved, just wondering what we should be looking at stacking for increased mana as we plan the build, how we use that pool is up to us. if that makes sense. (and of course, if we are going EB, then its 150%+ life whereas ES is computed as increased mana, not as part of HP, duh :P).

ok, hope these questions aren't too stupid. i realize i could go look at a bunch of builds, path out their trees at poebuilder, and maybe get the answers to some of these ?'s, but if someone knows off the top of their heads, that saves hours of not actually playing, and is hopefully of value to people beyond i and my buddy. :D

thanks so much,

I am the stone that the builder refused.
~~~~~

With the new Act 4 expansion, new leagues and MANY new players joining the POE ranks... now is a great time to bump this thread as a resource for new players.

Good luck.
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
Well. I'm back in the game, for a while at least. And what do I find but a wild Kaysee! Thank you for the support...if I had to maintain one guide, it would be this one. Let's see, questions since last I checked in here (don't look at me that way, I was out of town! Or in town, depending how you look at it, but either way no Path of Exile access.)

Skipping the flask discussion.

"
1. I get that Life/ES should be over 150%

2. Says here dont worry about dmg, but I cant agree if we want to survive higher maps or make it to atziri. All the builds that rock stack dmg, i just dont know how much,
so:
How much dmg should we be stacking?
as an elemental caster?
as melee?

also have a few questions about spell dmg nodes, vs cast speed, vs specific/general elemental dmg, but that may be too much to ask, unless someone is inspired to discuss.

3. how much % mana regen on the planned tree should we shoot for to run 20/20 AA?

4. i realize this next question has too many variables to answer well, but anything general will help.
To get a mana pool that can sustain MOM after reserve, what type of increased mana are we looking at stacking on tree? (not sure we want to go this route, more clarity on numbers will help).

i know i need at least 500-700 unreserved, just wondering what we should be looking at stacking for increased mana as we plan the build, how we use that pool is up to us. if that makes sense. (and of course, if we are going EB, then its 150%+ life whereas ES is computed as increased mana, not as part of HP, duh :P).

ok, hope these questions aren't too stupid. i realize i could go look at a bunch of builds, path out their trees at poebuilder, and maybe get the answers to some of these ?'s, but if someone knows off the top of their heads, that saves hours of not actually playing, and is hopefully of value to people beyond i and my buddy. :D

I'm happy to discuss in detail, but it's been quite a while, so I'll send a PM and meanwhile I'll answer in public the questions that were posed in public.

1. so we're in agreement there

2. You pass by damage nodes, don't you? Take the ones nearby. No, seriously, the numbers are going to vary per build, too. I can't give a number. Best bet is to look for similar builds (for certain values of "similar") and see what they take. It's a lot easier now that there are a lot more builds.

3. Hell if I know. I have one AA character with about 2k mana total and some 450% total mana regen. It works. I leveled him up by checking AA total mana drain before leveling the gem, and only actually hitting the + button once I confirmed that I had the regen to support it. That's one of the reasons I recommend leveling as your build, you can catch problems before they become problems.

4. Also hell if I know. That character has, offhand, about 200% increased mana all told, I think.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
First, I'll note that I updated the main post for 2.0. In particular, I've added an entirely new section for defense. You might want to check that out.

Second. I retired my guides. I promised to mention why I did so, and here it is. I've had it in hard copy for weeks, actually.

Why I'm no longer updating my guides
Well, firstly, other people do it better. No, really, I was out of town anyway, they're welcome to it. I'm happy to leave guide writing to other people, now that there are enough other people to do it. I will continue to post proof-of-concepts, but I will better enjoy making new builds than updating old ones. Isn't like mine were the distinctive ones anyway, that'd be Tiurakh's and Sovyn's, among others. You don't need me.

Next. Even if I wanted to, I am not sure I should. The ice guide is what, 2.5 years old? And the claws almost as much, and that's not considering the major leech changes in 2.0 which basically ate it alive. Since release, there have been so many changes to the game in general that the content of those guides doesn't necessarily work any more.

Claws in particular. At time of writing, 150pdps was end game, and reflects were all 20% and auras, and builds would just pay attention to reflect and reroll maps. Daggers were...well, master crafting didn't exist at the time. Passive tree was different. The fact is, that build did really well in the environment in which it was designed. But that's not the modern environment, where skills, items and player sill are all much greater. Game has been made harder to compensate, so it seems, but that's neither here nor there.

I would have retired claws anyway, game has just changed too much. Ice should still be fine as a concept, so if someone wants to rewrite that for 2.0, please be my guest.

It's been a wild ride. I'm happy to have done it. But I'm moving on, too. When I first wrote those, I was SC and temp leagues didn't exist. Since that time, I've gone into HC, joined a guild, changed focus, thrown my RL into disarray and sorted it out again several times, etc. I haven't the time to do all this stuff, and keeping things updated which don't need to be is low on the priority list.

Third. I expect a new proof-of-concept to be posted soon, since I finally completed playtesting. Where "soon" is, of course, variable depending on when I sit down and do it instead of playing. I guess this is my big re-entry.
Thanks for this guide,, it has been really helpful
Updated second post, section HC/SC divide. That was way, way long overdue, I just...didn't notice until I stepped into Warbands.

Everything's changed.

And SC characters are squishy as. I mean, you're welcome to it. I sure don't mind, and I build my SC characters squishy on purpose. But damn, I'm coming nowhere close to what a career SCer does, even when I TRY. Or maybe that's just the mindset/playstyle difference.
/poeg/ brought me here baby

Spoiler
lets make sex babe
kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFE90QKJIw
vs
adults https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzysxHGZCAU
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 business a-blazing but no more t-shirts
list of things kiri wants to try:
- searing bond now has +1 totems, which makes me really want to do a soul mantle lightning warp totems build
- still haven't gotten to that cybil block incinerate, and now probably never will, sigh
- blade vortex feels like it'll be really cool
- I swear one of these days I'm going to make an RFer who doesn't die before I convert
- point blank, chin sol, I forget, it didn't work out too well last time with the RoA but things have changed a lot since then, and I'll reprise iceshot just because

and things kiri needs to write up:
- the trigger gems character, seriously, way way overdue

and something that 2.1.0 is going to break but will probably put together way stronger:
- EB ZO MoM binos...yes that's a dagger templar...well, it's a dagger shadow from where I am, but given the option I'd go templar? I think I'll name this one christmas tree. the poison changes could very well break binos, there are some strong interactions there, just gotta find them.

bump for 2.1.0, I guess.
Does "pick up 150% hp or es" mean get 150 % worth of nodes, or does it mean 50% worth assuming you start at 100%?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info