ELE LIGHTNING STRIKE - ALL T16s, Shaper, Uber Atziri, HOGM, Chayula, Elder

"
RiloMuse wrote:
How much mana leech is recommended before getting Soul Taker? I'm level 67 right now and go OOM quite a bit, single targets are quite a problem.

Have 4% right now and that's not cuttin it.

Hi, the issue with mana leech is that you need to be doing good damage to compensate for the mana cost of the skill, since the %leech is based off of how much damage you do. It's possible that your damage may not be high enough given how quickly you are attacking and using mana. When I was leveling I found 4% (2% from Mind Drinker and 2% from a Mana Flask) to be enough to sustain my attack. This is what I would recommend:
- use a 2nd mana flask that has a mod to add another +x% to your mana leech
- run a low-level Clarity aura - this would reserve some of your mana, but would also give you a good amount of quick mana regen
- see if you can upgrade your weapon to one with higher damage without increasing your attack speed. This would help give you more benefit from the leech
- also - how many links are you using with Double Strike? You may need to remove a support gem until your damage gets high enough to give enough mana leech to sustain your attacks.

Once you get to high enough damage, 2% mana leech will give you enough mana to sustain your attacks.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Aug 27, 2013, 10:34:33 PM
"
imoshu wrote:
So the other day when I read this build, I told myself I had to try it. 2 days later and I'm lv 62, facerolling through Act 3 Merciless right now. This build is awesome, and amazingly fun too. My gear sucks, but I still manage. Thanks for writing up this guide! I've never had this much fun in PoE. I plan to be doing some low-level maps by tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.

Spoiler

Great! You will have a lot of fun with this build.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Aug 27, 2013, 10:36:50 PM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
RiloMuse wrote:
How much mana leech is recommended before getting Soul Taker? I'm level 67 right now and go OOM quite a bit, single targets are quite a problem.

Have 4% right now and that's not cuttin it.

Hi, the issue with mana leech is that you need to be doing good damage to compensate for the mana cost of the skill, since the %leech is based off of how much damage you do. It's possible that your damage may not be high enough given how quickly you are attacking and using mana. When I was leveling I found 4% (2% from Mind Drinker and 2% from a Mana Flask) to be enough to sustain my attack. This is what I would recommend:
- run a low-level Clarity aura - this would reserve some of your mana, but would also give you a good amount of quick mana regen
- see if you can upgrade your weapon to one with higher damage without increasing your attack speed. This would help give you more benefit from the leech
- also - how many links are you using with Double Strike? You may need to remove a support gem until your damage gets high enough to give enough mana leech to sustain your attacks.

Once you get to high enough damage, 2% mana leech will give you enough mana to sustain your attacks.

Thanks for the tips!

And 5link, here's what's linked with it now...

and my weapon if that matters
, next slower one hander I see, guess I'll alch up, haha
Just a quick not to say thank you for such a great guide, I'd not though of an evasion melee but using your guide as inspiration I am having a blast. Cheers
"
RiloMuse wrote:

Thanks for the tips!

And 5link, here's what's linked with it now...

Hey, I think the issue is your weapon: the damage is a bit low, but your attack speed is quite high on the sword. I think this is causing your mana issue. I would follow my other suggestions (mana flasks, Clarity) and also look for a weapon with higher damage (and ideally lower attack speed). You may also have to run with only a 4-link until your damage gets high enough for you sustain attacks on mana leech. Let me know if this helps...
Last edited by Ceryneian on Aug 29, 2013, 11:00:19 PM
"
Ouroboros226 wrote:
I am SO glad to see this build posted in such a good way :)

"
staxl wrote:
Just a quick not to say thank you for such a great guide, I'd not though of an evasion melee but using your guide as inspiration I am having a blast. Cheers

Thanks for the comments! Glad you like the guide.

I am working on adding a brief section for possible Hardcore adjustments, as well as a special "HIGHLIGHTS" video.

I've added a "Change Log" after the guide to help you see any changes I make to the guide.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Aug 30, 2013, 12:15:05 AM
I've added a special section in the guide for Hardcore players featuring an adjusted build and a gameplay video in a difficult map to showcase survivability. Please message me with any feedback or thoughts!

I have gone ahead and regretted and tested a readjusted tree for a more defensive focus (but with less DPS). I hope this helps some of the HC players and convinces them to try the build.

Hardcore-adjusted tree below:
With your high evasiveness, exceptional physical & spell dodging + blocking, high stun avoidance, extremely quick block/stun recovery, damage mitigation, and rapid life regeneration - you will become nigh unkillable.

Rationale:
Spoiler
The 2 key issues I encountered for staying alive throughout the game were block recovery & stun recovery (rare), and extremely high burst damage that gets through your evasion/dodge/block.

A. Block Recovery & Stun Issues: I found this a rare occurrence, but it can be dangerous as block recovery/stuns prevent you from performing any action including life leeching. The stun/block recovery danger is very present in vulnerability maps or when facing mobs with vulnerability curse on hit. To combat this you can use the Eye of Chayula, however this would prevent you from using Stone of Lazhwar. Eye of Chayula also heavily reduces your life. The build above is focused on stun avoidance, stun recovery, and block recovery. In particular - it takes advantage of the amazing Heart of Oak node right near the Ranger start:

Heart of Oak

4% increased maximum life, 30% chance to avoid being stunned, 1% life regenerated per second.

With this new tree my block recovery is extremely fast - 157% increase, my stun avoidance chance is 30%, and my stun recovery increase is 37%.

This build also takes an extra endurance charge - so now you can use 4 (and up to 5 if you help Merciless Oak). This would significantly increase physical damage reduction to 20% mitigation against all physical attacks, as well as lengthen the duration of your Immortal Call.

B. Surviving High Burst Damage: As much life is good, however it would be hard to increase your life significantly past 3.2K due to the gear used: Bringer of Rain does not allow you to use a chest piece, additionally the use of Lazhwar's Stone and Rainbowstrides means you cannot get life from your shoes, or amulet either.

However I must reiterate that I have played in many difficult maps and have found 2.5K+ health to be sufficient to survive large hits.

Some additional gameplay ideas that I would follow in HC:
- Use Enfeeble curse liberally (even if it means stopping in middle of fight to cast)
- Use of Culling on your Flicker Strike to quickly execute and move out of battle
- Manually try and avoid unnecessary damage (such as Vaal's smash and laser beams)
- Swap out your regular shield for Saffell's Frame against heavy spell bosses such as Piety

I have recorded a video using this new HC build in a level 71 vulnerability map with the Carnage (Brutus) boss. There were a lot of high physical mobs, shield chargers, lightning thorns, and a lot of spell damage. You will notice that DPS is lower, however survivability is extremely strong, stuns are extremely rare even though this is a vulnerability map, and stun/block recovery is very exceptional! I used Blood Rage to add life leech to my life gain on hit, I also used Flicker Strike more than usual to quickly cull threats.

At the start of the video I quickly highlight the adjustments made to the main build. I hope this will showcase the survivability of this build and convince some HC players to try:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VedCZZJ1H78).
Last edited by Ceryneian on Aug 31, 2013, 7:24:18 PM
Nice build.
IGN
Ratwo
Rastfam
GMT+1
nice guide man :)
My Build http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/496321
Gear shops thread: 486133 and 460916
Jewelry shop thread: 512124
IGN: Elyf
"
Ceryneian wrote:

Or just run such combo:

Plus Warlord's Mark.

IMO It's much saver than using Blood rage - and reasoning is very visible in your video from Collonade map - I would never allow my character HP to drop so rapidly, one small freeze and she's dead.

I have melee ranger build, done from scratch before I found this topic to test Reave (and eva/acrobatics/block), which shares a lot of similarities with yours but I put much more emphasis to build HP pool (will have 3,5K HP @ 77 lvl) and instead of Enfeeble I use Blind on Reave/Tempest Shield. I think that I will have even more survivability but will see if I will have enough patience to level it past 77. Anyway, playing 99,99% solo I haven't died once till 70 lvl.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
Last edited by tmaciak on Sep 2, 2013, 9:19:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info