:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

I just watched Steins;gate.

Loved it, have not seen many sci-fi mystery type anime before. Any other good ones anyone would suggest?
Does anyone know the name of an anime (can’t find it on google) where God and his angels are evil and demons are good?
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
About the eva stuff
To be honest, I've only seen the rebuild of evangelion movies so far (which don't really contain all of the symbolism and stuff or so I heard), but even there you can see that it draws quite heavily on I think jewish mythology.
Which might be why the angels appear in order and only one at a time. I don't know about the timing itself, but my guess is that something that humanity did caused their activity.
The test might be because shinji is mentally pretty instable as far as I know or at the very least you can't expect consistent results from him in the mindstate he has during the events of the series/films.
And the characters being unlikable? They are selfish. To the core at that. I can actually see people like gendo for example being quite common in the upper echelon of basically every big company ever these days.

As I said, this is as much as I can draw from the movies. Still, I know that you can probably write a 100+ page essay about all the symbolism in eva if you know a lot about the subject matter.
Gotta watch the original some day. I should put it on the "urgent" part of my plan to watch list. Somewhere next to Steins;Gate and the entirety of the fate franchise.

Speaking of seasonal stuff, charan, what's your opinion on Hisone to Maso-tan and Hinamatsuri so far? If you haven't tried them yet and currently have enough of "gritty manlyness", then those two offer some nice comedy.

And yes, I know I'm again not talking about Steins;Gate, I get it already. I will watch it soon. VERY soon. But I had started knights of sidonia some time ago and I wanna finish it before starting to watch something new. At the moment no idea what I should think about that one though.

Edit: That's not a lot to go with, solwitch. Do you have any other details? Heck, even some small facts about setting or weapon of choice of the main character might help.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Last edited by FCK42 on Apr 26, 2018, 8:28:17 PM
Well... I told you where I put it on my list. It only got there because legend of the galactic heroes got put back to not-so-urgent stuff due to the reboot it got. Which rendered me incapable of pulling the "but I don't like the art" excuse on myself.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
Khoranth wrote:
I just watched Steins;gate.

Loved it, have not seen many sci-fi mystery type anime before. Any other good ones anyone would suggest?

Ghost in the Shell is definitely a must-see, in the same sense that EVA is also a must-see as 鬼殺し said before me.

Another good sci-fi is Psycho-Pass.
www.twitch.tv/Sushin for various games, generally laid back
"
solwitch wrote:
Does anyone know the name of an anime (can’t find it on google) where God and his angels are evil and demons are good?

bayonetta, lol?
but thats a game that got an ova...
"
鬼殺し wrote:
and yet name drop shit like Heidegger when you don't see the pretty obvious scholarly underpinnings of Eva as a study of the 'Other'...

oh, i see how they correspond.
eva (steinsgate) is a pretentious show. heidegger is a pretentious hippster "philosopher". you can take any phrase of his writings, throw it out there ...et voila, youll look soooo smart, because noone would dare question such a big name yet alone the actual content of his obscure writing.

but yeah....i remember reading heideggers "interpretation" of hölderlin....and the amount of missplaced, misslead pseudo-symbolism and hermeneutical allodoxia is on par with the eva-apologists, lol.

"study" you write.....now anthropologists or sociologists study (actually study; empiricism, methods, comparative studies....) the human condition(s).
pretentious philosophers merely dabble in it.

and regarding the "other", thats sartre, not heidegger, but its still the same pretentious dilettantism.....and both these (and other philosophers) have been put in their place by anthropologists or even as much as a journalist in heideggers case; thats right, heideggger at one point failed to "stay in character" when as much as a journalist got a bit investigative regarding his ...views.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
I actually did write a 35k word PHD chapter on Eva and the concept of kenosis ('emptying one's self'), which took me to some pretty crazy fucking places. The Judeo-Christian symbolism is actually the surface of it.

thats impressive, and i would like to read that (pm me, if you like).

still, the symbolism in eva is really superficial; an "angel" blows up, the pillar of fire from its wreck takes on the form of a radiating cross.....wow, such symbolism! but...what does it actually mean? - nothing. it just looks cool.
its as you wrote: anime will just take any symbol, name (names and symbols that they have no historical relation to or understanding of) if they think its "cool". they dont even appropriate it. they just shoehorn it in.

and when it comes to these kind of stories, "character studies", genesis, whatever....id argue that ALL THE STORIES had been told like 3000 years ago already, lol. gilgamesh, homer, the bible, every ethnicity of every age and place has its myth on the genesis of god, man, nature ...and of course they are all ripe with symbolism. again: this is nothing new.

anime however is something new. only in anime can trigger or miyazaki express themselves...and its not so much about the story as it is about exploring a medium and its mostly visual possibilities.
every medium could make a story (and symbolism) like eva work. thats why imo its not relevant AS AN ANIME.

and every "story" can be interpreted to great depths.
combine: knowledge of psychoanalysis (everything is symbolic! everything is a phallus or vulva!), 2 semesters of cultural studies (everything has a deeper meaning!, we absolutely MUST CRITICIZE EVERYTHING!) et voila.....suddenly the cast of the fast & furious become the 12 apostels or the horsemen of apocalypse or whatever, really. might as well compare ash from pokemon to moses, as both are on a quest to catch them all, as both are based on the ideology (woohoo, fancy word) of man subduing the animal kingdom....

here is a dangerous proposition: what if things are simply what they are on the surface?
Last edited by PaoloPinkel on Apr 27, 2018, 5:52:14 AM
"
PaoloPinkel wrote:

here is a dangerous proposition: what if things are simply what they are on the surface?

Can i fuck you?

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
ROFL.

Spoiler
so i am at episode 20 (forcing myself all the way through it this time) and now i get o witness the glorious exposition of our beloved anti-hero shinji having been absorbed by the newly-awakened eva and having been DISOLVED TO A "QUANTUM"-LEVEL, however fret not, he still can (and of course he will) be salvaged from the PRIMORDIAL SOUP IN WHICH HIS S O U L and "all the substances which compose shinji are preserved" (directly quoting from the hillarious sub here).
how the holy f*ck can anyone defend THIS? i cant even....this is beyond comparism...one of the stupidest things ive ever been exposed to ....

THIS IS JUST SO BAD.

and every episode is like this. this series has me ACTUALLY facepalming or ranting out loud at my monitor three times per episode on average....
i too could write a 50k words article on this series, honestly. going through each episode, each scene even and laying down in detail how incoherent and contradicting the narrative is. and no, thats not "postmodern" or "deconstructive" literature. its sh*tty writing, thats all.

if eva is a symbol for anything - it greatly symbolizes "the screenwriter", the bad one, the worst one.
his presence is felt in every incoherent event. in every inhumane and inorganic line of cringeworthy dialog.
in every scene where the "technology" and science of this universe work or dont work, simply and ONLY based on the dramatic effect.

everything in this series happens because of the screenwriter - nothing develops organically or in any remotely believeable way.

compare this to crazy anime-series like...lets say....kill la kill..or better even: prison school! the events, characters and the overall narrative in both those series are actually believeable WITHIN THEIR OWN RIGHTS. once you accept the basic premises of them, THEY DO MAKE SENSE and are COHERENT.
not so with eva.

Last edited by PaoloPinkel on Apr 27, 2018, 2:18:08 PM
"
PaoloPinkel wrote:
ROFL.

Spoiler
so i am at episode 20 (forcing myself all the way through it this time) and now i get o witness the glorious exposition of our beloved anti-hero shinji having been absorbed by the newly-awakened eva and having been DISOLVED TO A "QUANTUM"-LEVEL, however fret not, he still can (and of course he will) be salvaged from the PRIMORDIAL SOUP IN WHICH HIS S O U L and "all the substances which compose shinji are preserved" (directly quoting from the hillarious sub here).
how the holy f*ck can anyone defend THIS? i cant even....this is beyond comparism...one of the stupidest things ive ever been exposed to ....

THIS IS JUST SO BAD.

and every episode is like this. this series has me ACTUALLY facepalming or ranting out loud at my monitor three times per episode on average....
i too could write a 50k words article on this series, honestly. going through each episode, each scene even and laying down in detail how incoherent and contradicting the narrative is. and no, thats not "postmodern" or "deconstructive" literature. its sh*tty writing, thats all.

if eva is a symbol for anything - it greatly symbolizes "the screenwriter", the bad one, the worst one.
his presence is felt in every incoherent event. in every inhumane and inorganic line of cringeworthy dialog.
in every scene where the "technology" and science of this universe work or dont work, simply and ONLY based on the dramatic effect.

everything in this series happens because of the screenwriter - nothing develops organically or in any remotely believeable way.

compare this to crazy anime-series like...lets say....kill la kill..or better even: prison school! the events, characters and the overall narrative in both those series are actually believeable WITHIN THEIR OWN RIGHTS. once you accept the basic premises of them, THEY DO MAKE SENSE and are COHERENT.
not so with eva.

Personally, I believe all of that to be intentional.

Eva does a great job at making the viewer ask questions, with it all ending in "What the fuck did I just watch?". And I believe this is all it was going for. It leaves you thinking none of this makes much sense at all...but well, maybe it does? The "terrible writing" just adds to this feeling. That felt completely out of place, but was it supposed to mean something? That didn't explain anything, but perhaps it's hinting at something else? Is that considered incest? Why is he choking the chicken? Why is he choking her?

This is a lot harder to pull off than it seems. The show was overall coherent enough to keep the audience moving forward to reach a conclusion, yet it was incoherent enough that you have no idea what happened throughout the show even after watching the whole thing. I can't even tell if any of it was supposed to mean anything, yet I can't help but feel that maybe all of it meant something.
www.twitch.tv/Sushin for various games, generally laid back

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info