:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

Got any recommendations for seinen, scifi, psychological, or more adult themed anime by any chance? I know its a bit of a variety but I've watched a few anime and it's getting a bit hard to find ones that tickle my fancy.
"
Kanye_West wrote:
Got any recommendations for seinen, scifi, psychological, or more adult themed anime by any chance? I know its a bit of a variety but I've watched a few anime and it's getting a bit hard to find ones that tickle my fancy.

well you're mostly out of luck. This combination is currently not popular(and there and not that much sources.)

Basically it sounds like GITS or psycho pass. Maybe babylon if you would go more into the crime thing. But that's it. If you leave of the psychological you get some of those old school space operas too.

If you haven't seen the classics there is texhnolyze, lain, kiseijuu etc.

As soon as the anime has some 15year old as a main character it gets silly fast most of the time :)
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
"
Kanye_West wrote:
Each of the following check at least some of the boxes you're mentioning:

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka
No. 6
Zetsuen no Tempest
Planetes
Knights of Sidonia
Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin

I found them all at least watchable and most of them quite enjoyable. There is an "action" element to all of them, even those with a fair proportion of psychological elements in them.

Also, Nejimaki and Zetsuen are technically more fantasy than scifi, but they feel like sci fi. If that makes sense. Strategic thinking is a big part of Nejimaki and in part because of that psychological elements are more or less always interwoven into the storyline.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Oct 9, 2019, 6:21:33 AM
"
Kanye_West wrote:

That list of genres sounds like the definition of Steins;Gate. If you haven't seen it (or Steins;Gate: Zero) then I'd highly recommend you do so.

For Psychological I'd go with Shinsekai Yori. That's some pretty heavy and dark stuff though, you have been warned.

Another one that *might* fit the list of genres is Suisei no Gargantia. It's a fairly underrated show, but great nonetheless. It has quite a bit of mech going on in it though, but even if you don't like mech that much or at all, I'd still advise you to give it a chance.

Last, but not least would be a "blind" recommendation, as I haven't seen it myself, but Code Geass is supposedly a very good series that should fit into the genres you mentioned quite nicely.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
code geass needs a high bullshit tolerance unfortunately. I fought through it but the sheer amount eyerolling need for the series ... its almost as bad as death note.

gargantia was quite good but is per definition a shounen story(coming of age etc)
shinsekai yori was awesome, i will never watch it again through. It is really heavy. The scifi element is very subtle however.
"
tsunamikun wrote:
code geass needs a high bullshit tolerance unfortunately. I fought through it but the sheer amount eyerolling need for the series ... its almost as bad as death note.

gargantia was quite good but is per definition a shounen story(coming of age etc)
shinsekai yori was awesome, i will never watch it again through. It is really heavy. The scifi element is very subtle however.

Well I disagree, Code Geass is an amazing anime and very few anime are as good as this one was.
"
diablofdb wrote:

Well I disagree, Code Geass is an amazing anime and very few anime are as good as this one was.

thats your right of opinion of course. but when someone asks for a scifi seinen anime (as few as there are) i don't think he expects to watch an inconsistent and overly dramatised story about a 15 year old boy with a superpower and mechas.
What was asked for was "seinen, sci-fi, psychological or more adult themed" series. The "or" in there implies that not all the mentioned genres have to be matched (which is why I actually gave those recommendations earlier, finding something that fits ALL of those isn't too easy).

In case you were looking for series with all those genres, I'd have two more blind recommendations, Ergo Proxy and Psycho Pass, as well as one more that I watched myself, Darker than Black.
"
FCK42 wrote:
What was asked for was "seinen, sci-fi, psychological or more adult themed" series. The "or" in there implies that not all the mentioned genres have to be matched (which is why I actually gave those recommendations earlier, finding something that fits ALL of those isn't too easy).

In case you were looking for series with all those genres, I'd have two more blind recommendations, Ergo Proxy and Psycho Pass, as well as one more that I watched myself, Darker than Black.
I was thinking of Ergo Proxy earlier and thinking that it fit very well with the earlier request for suggestions. It's clear that a lot of careful thought was put into that show, right down to very fine details that could easily be missed (not that it is perfect, by any means). FWIW, I enjoyed it a lot.

Code Geass seems to inspire divided opinions, even in our household. My wife enjoyed it a lot. I tuned it out after a few episodes because all the yelling and screaming quickly made watching it aversive.

An anime that's currently underway (Dr. Stone) seems like a reasonable recommendation, plus Kanata no Astra (quite recently finished its run) might be worth checking out.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
"
Kanata no Astra (quite recently finished its run) might be worth checking out.

Well, thanks for reminding me, I have yet to finish that one myself... goddamn, there's too many shows coming out on weekends these days.

Speaking of new series... so far Granblue Fantasy 2 is great. I absolutely love the new opening, it's awesome. The show itself is more of what it did before, a bit of fighting, some drama, a fair bit of political stuff, a bit of slice of life and drop dead gorgeous art.

I also watched the first episode of the 2nd part of SAO: Alicisation... it looks ok for now and they actually managed not to fuck up... SOMETHING while writing the plot. The bad guys seem to be pretty damn generic, but hey, if that's the only issue in SAO this time, then that's already a big improvement over previous iterations. Also, for now Kirito is pretty much a side character, so that might have something to do with it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info