[0.9.12] Show us your interesting characters and be featured on our YouTube channel!

This is the updated thread for 0.9.12 character builds. Please resubmit your characters to it once you've updated them to the 0.9.12 passive tree!

June 16: Video #1 -- Ice Spear Totem Templar (Big_Z))

June 23: Video #2 -- Elemental Hit Melee Witch (zriL)

June 30: Video #3 -- Resolute Technique/Blood Magic Marauder (CrackingSkull)

July 6: Video #4 -- Extreme attack-speed dual-wielding Duelist (dashgalaxy86)

July 14: Video #5 -- Elemental Proliferation Fireball Witch (GGG Developer Rory)

July 22: Video #6 -- Tempest Shield passive-aggressive Ranger (renatobaal)

Aug 6: Video #7 -- Elemental Bow Templar (mokschi)

Aug 15: Video #8 -- Wand Marauder (PoisonSmith)

Aug 27: Video #9 -- unarmed Marauder with Facebreaker unique gloves (Faerwin)

Sep 9: Video #10 -- Critical strike Witch (Progammer)

Sep 23: Video #11 -- Righteous Fire Marauder (Ropetus)

Oct 1: Video #12 -- Flicker Strike Duelist (nihlanth)

Oct 15: Video #13 -- Flame Totem Templar (Neonspyder)

Oct 28: Video #14 -- Critical Strike Shadow (Invalesco)

We currently run a series of small YouTube videos where we play for five minutes on characters that players have submitted. We'll comment on what makes the character's build special, and hopefully fit in some behind the scenes discussion of whether we intended the skills to be abused in that specific way.

Our intention with this series is to provide some extra entertainment for the community and to help encourage players to create interesting builds so that they can be featured by us. Don't worry about it slowing down our development speed - we already play your characters in the evenings and weekends to learn about the metagame :P

Please submit the name of any character on your account that you'd like to see featured. A quick explanation of what makes its build special would be appreciated. We'll pick from them pretty arbitrarily (looking for really interesting builds that do things in unusual ways). Depending on the number of submissions, there's no guarantee that you'll be featured but thanks very much for the time spent submitting it.

We have copies of everyone's characters on our local servers here in the office. They are backed up from the Beta servers at 2am New Zealand time, so make sure that the character was in the state that you want to demonstrate at the last backup.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Oct 31, 2012, 5:52:22 PM
Good afternoon,
I have a 58 marauder named Rimplez that focuses almost exclusively on flicker strike spam. He 1 shots all normal and some champ packs, high hp champ packs or elites take 2 hits. On long single target fights, I use heavy strike, and sometimes sweep for extra health gain. Its a combination of Blood Rage, flicker strike, and 2 handed physical dmg.

I also use Molten armor (w/ Iron will/increased duration) and phase run (can use this right before flickering onto elite to 1 shot elite). Hatred Aura w/ reduced mana cost.

This build is great because it can be entirely self-sustaining due to the synergy between blood rage and flicker strike. Life leech and Blood magic allows me to cast forever, and xp gains are retardedly fast because I don't walk. I teleport, smash your face once, and teleport to the next. Clear the entire screen (and more) by pressing and holding 1 button.
EDITED - no longer using alt weapon for auras.

Hi there.

Here is my duelist built around Eldritch Battery keystone:

old version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9GvK-7zZrU&feature=youtu.be

new version, remade not to use alt weapon for auras:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY52Viwub4Y&feature=youtu.be

Yup, a duelist with Eldritch battery... 1600 mana, 70 mana regen/s, 2600 health (184% more health from skilltree), aoe dps ~3000, single target dps ~5400, and about 9600 armor, all resists 75%.

As you can see in the video, I'm using 7 auras:
Wrath, Anger, Hatred, Haste, Grace, Discipline, Clarity.

Of course, my damage will go up once I level up my auras a little bit more. Wrath and Anger have 15th lvl, so some time will pass before I'll get to full damage potential with that build.
Also the gear I'm wearing is the combination of what I've used with previous build and some new items that I started gathering, so I'm sure defences will go up in some time.

I use 3 damage abilities, 2 curses, and 1 supportive skills:

Lightning strike - well, that combined with all elemental auras and elemental weakness can do some serious damage.
Leap Slam - I use it to kill scattered groups of weak mobs and to move around
Heavy Strike - for rare mobs and bosses. Rather a standard, but sadly there are no interesting gems for 2h sword users.

Elemental Weakness - best if I'm dealing with ranged mobs, or mobs that are too strong for a close combat.
Warlords Mark - well, I don't have any life leach so that's rather a must have in close combat, especially when I'm using blood rage.

Blood rage - risky to use, since I don't have much life regen (only 1,5%), but works rather fine
Enduring Cry - just strted using it, I think it's better than molten shell for survivability, and it's easier to keep up my charges with warlords mark.

Molten Shell - no longer used.

Here is my passive skill tree:
Pivu

Char name: Pivu
Current level: 74
Default league.

Cheers.

EDIT

So I wasn't aware than using auras on alternative weapons was not a feature, but a mechanic that is about to change - I won't be able to use auras on my alt weapon. Well, all I could do is adjust to it. So I've remade my build a little bit.

EDIT 2
Found a new cool 5L sword, now I can use Enduring Cry ^^
Last edited by Pivu on Sep 12, 2012, 9:22:44 PM
Resubmitting from the last thread:

"Lightning Fast" witch build

Character: Hagraven, lvl56 witch

This build consists of all available lightning spells and ways to maximize cast speed while maximizing the character's energy shield

For starters, Here is my passive skill tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQMAAM5rSAMvongETGTDBybKlgxc_7oN8GAFDibkRRSzeq0hedp6Muq57D2MMPU-iIzlPwSf6z-eX01CTNa8QxiLt0lHOJxMr_VDTTO-q1P66K9cC6LoYEcEyWM6v8hmxzXbZ8KXp3Kgn1Ny9gh_ds1fmXcAFgmCqinEheVX3IfeJZOMKoh2jFk-75BpUyWWHGVqljqmtJZrzK2YLSLUmFSqZJwjPKycxUTNp5h6kaefGF-n5w2mqb8HYrMcOKa5Y47FvSG7VsN-w33Esyd5x_Ndvcg5MAHNymZj2Qkd2dszIrjdrhXe4vYHPe3XuXjt2XhI7fPWFvU5uo_3IyC592Y7SffaBOb9mG3T_8cKhw==

I
A quick summary of the nature of choices in the passive skill tree is as follows:

1. I grabbed all available lightning damage increase passives to maximize my DPS

2. Grabbed as many increase cast speed and increase spell damage passives

3. I also invested in numerous mana passives.

4. I invested a point in Chaos Inoculation to gain more survivability at the cost of all my health and a numerous investment in many energy shield passives.

Basically, I focus on numerous things in the passive skill tree and not solely on one desirable stat.

II

Skills and Gear used:

Spark- (Linked with added lightning damage, increased projectile speed, and increased cast speed)

Unavailable

Shock Nova[Totem] - (Linked with increased cast speed, lightning damage, totem support gem)

Unavailable

Elemental weakness curse- (Linked with increased duration and area of effect support gems)

Discipline Aura- Provides an enormous bonus to energy
shield with the Chaos Inoculation passive.

Blood Rage- Provides 3 Frenzy charges which increase cast rate by 15% (I am also immune to the chaos damage due to Chaos Inoculation passive so the buff remains activated)

Clarity Aura- Provides increased mana regeneration

Lightning Warp- Provides an escape route out of trouble

As for Rings, They provide an extra 24% increase to lightning damage:

Unavailable
Unavailable

The neck I am using provides extra cast speed increase.

As for flasks, There is no need to have any other kind of flask except for mana flasks; this helps greatly with mana regeneration (which makes me wonder, do I really need the clarity aura?)

III

Play style:

When I first enter a zone, I activate Clarity and Discipline auras.

When approached with a group of monsters, I cast Blood rage then elemental weakness followed by shock nova totem; If the totem does not kill them all, I resort to casting spark untill all are dead.

Usually I have no problems with any creature type ( except thoes who are immune to curses or have a high resistance to lightning damage)

IV

Character's Statistics:

The maximum energy shield for this character, with discipline aura, can reach up to 3.2k

With 3 stacks of Frenzy, this character can cast spark at a rate of 3.07 casts per second. Also, the shock nova totem casts shock nova at a similar rate.

The damage of Spark can reach up to around 975 dps, can reach up to 1K dps with frenzy charges (similar to the shock nova totem in dps).

This character can efficiently kill a whole room of monsters in seconds (even faster when the monsters have elemental weakness curse).

The only downsides to this build is that it is very fragile so being surrounded by melee or ranged monsters can lead to a quick death; that is why it is better to let the shock nova totem tank some damage while the character casts spark from a safe distance.

Another thing that needs to be tweeked about this character is it's mana consumption; it is partly due to the large reserved mana cost of the auras.
Last edited by Isoprene on Sep 10, 2012, 10:24:18 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Rukuuu, the Dual moonsorrow, DISCHARGE witch

uses
Unavailable

This build is unique because everything I use has a synergy with the rest. I've taken all the increased area passives from both witch and templar area, and plenty of spell damage nodes too.

With a huge attack speed (almost 4 per second) and most of the increased crit chance passives, frenzy very quickly builds charges to unleash. Discharge has massive AOE instakill damage, 1HKO all white mobs and sometimes yellows if it crits. This build is so much fun to play as and the huge explosion is very rewarding. I haven't found a way to effectively deal with elemental reflect packs yet though, and 1 discharge will instant kill me if i try it...

EDIT:
Might as well state here that discharge does need a minor buff. As a skill that doesn't get to be cast very often in the best of times, it could probably do a little bit more damage.

The buff to evasion really hurts crit builds. It's especially noticeable here where even with around 50% chance, maybe 1 in 4 attacks actually crits. I'm trying to find a 4-link to put the increased accuracy support onto frenzy. I doubt it will help that much though...

P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
Last edited by lukeiy on Sep 11, 2012, 9:48:51 AM
I suspect my witch is pretty common and not special (especially since there was a double totem character featured already - and a fire witch), however I will give this a try.

This is my double fireball totem witch, who I call "the terrain eraser" (I'll explain why later).

First off, that's the build so far.
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQMAAIpUSwM5K8wETGTDBaqbVQsK0lkNMSecFSHhBCC5Fachedp6IZ10MiTt4KgmAkTjLBPyVjK9ZtYy6rnsNtIc6jbrxVQ9LksVPbebNz94XJ4_nl9NSUc4nEuvP5dNM76rUYdNylUcfUZVyGzAViUX_1dgxb1gRwTJYhIaFmM6v8hlEXK1ZaSHCWbHNdtn7gnqdwAWCXyGyhl_qsgegqopxIOIsqqG1J6uiIGjOoksSA-Pu5Z1kGlTJZKArdiWHGVqmFSqZJkmuOWZLWG3mm2JR5vwKsWcxUTNqb8HYqnblmqxKGCjsYq4erHb0_a0Cg9buMACe7j1f-27l_eJvSG7Vr0pmYC9-6lxwHD0lsMHMufGIRMCyDkwAcq5vZHLQR0RzcpmY9mbqBLi9gc95WPQVObWqtfpT-_A66QiSe3XuXjzX-1W9ORqZvUtu7z1ObqP-JMbnP2YbdP-i-Ku

Fights are very simple:
1) cast two totems in front of myself
2) curse monsters with elemental weakness
3) throw fire traps
4) cast my own fire balls
5) shit's on fire, yo
6) ???
7) profit

Totems are remarkable at tanking damage and blocking passages. My own fireball does over 1100 dps per projectile and totems' do 700 dps per projectile (so if all 9 projectiles hit, it's 3300+4200=7500 dps) without diamond flasks which I use on pesky rares and bosses.

I guess what makes this build special is you don't really need special gear to pull it off. In fact, you need almost nothing, which is great if you got screwed over by RNG!

Clarity + discipline auras for support (with reduced mana cost gem).

As to why I call this character "the terrain eraser"? Well, take a look yourself:
Spoiler
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/152/screenshot0008r.png
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/5397/screenshot0009e.png
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9356/screenshot0012n.png

That's what I see after most battles, some dungeons are half gone when I'm done with them. That's the power!

Name: Infrared

PS. You cannot possibly see anything under the sea of fireballs, so it's not a build for people who like to know what's going on.
Resubmit from 9.11 thread

PalavaKostaja - lvl 62 Righteous Fire Marauder

This is a character devoted around the skill Righteous Fire and using it as a main source of damage. He sets himself ablaze, keeps drinking flasks to stay alive and then runs in the middle of his enemies and watch them burn to death in few seconds.

The build focuses on survivability, especially having an insane life total. At the moment the character has over 5000 life. Besides this fire resistance and life regeneration is maxed out. Everything else is not at all important. This means the character can also turn into an amazing tank if needed by turning Righteous Fire off.

I was a bit worried about the 9.12 patch with the lessened life regeneration in the tree. I lost 1% of max resists and almost 1,5% of life regeneration compared to the old tree. However, many areas of the tree turned more compact which allowed me to pick many extra nodes and I was able to grab over 500 extra life points which compensates the losses nicely.

Skills

Main attack skill: Righteous Fire with Increased Area of Effect. Obvious.

Other Skills:
Whirling Blades to move around, deliver Righteous Fire to evasive enemies and escape tight spots. The damage this skill causes is totally insignificant so the skill is left at level 1. It is linked to Life Gain on Hit to provide extra life gain during battles. Diving through a dozen enemies provides a few hundred life points which is significant.

As a supporting attack skill Freezing Pulse is used for a couple of reasons: 1) With Righteous Fire up I might just as well cast spells and take advantage of the damage bonus. 2) With Righteous Fire I'm going to be in melee range anyway where Freezing Pulse shines. 3) Chilling and Freezing enemies greatly improves survivability. It is supported with Life Leech for extra defense and Iron Will because I have a massive Strength total. I have also considered Frost Nova but Pulse deals more damage to single targets which are more of a problem. I have also thought about using Viper Strike but ran into a problem with Dex requirements.

As support he utilizes Elemental Weakness combined with Totem. Usually it's use is necessary only against yellow mobs and fire resistant enemies. He uses Phase Run so no time is wasted during Righteous Fire and Enduring Cry to keep himself constantly at 6 Endurance charges.

Three Auras are used: Vitality to add to his already massive life regeneration, Purity for increased resistances and most importantly, increased maximum resistances (fire being most important obviously), finally Clarity is linked to Blood Magic gem to counter his otherwise horrible mana regeneration. The character has over 5000 life so the life reserved to Clarity is not a problem.

Passive Tree

Key passive nodes are:
1) Elemental Adaptation to help keep Righteous Fire up
2) All life regeneration nodes to help keep Righteous Fire up
4) Maximum Endurance charges and life regeneration for endurance charges to help stay alive
3) Life nodes for staying alive and more Righteous Fire damage

Everything else is unimportant and only picked to reach those key nodes. Further development will be taking just more life nodes.

Equipment

Unavailable

Saffell's Frame gives +5% maximum resists which is extremely important for this build. I reach 87% resistances with this, 97% fire resistance after drinking a Ruby Flask. Before level 59 I used the unique shield Springleaf for +6% life regeneration on low life for a similar effect.
Unavailable
Unavailable

Ambu's charge unique armor grants +2% life regeneration on low life and Araku Tiki grants +1%. These are significant numbers with the life total of this character. They also grant +life and resistances and a bonus for party play with shared endurance charges.

Of course, getting the unique armor Kaom's Heart is a wet dream for this build. The +1000 life points adjusted with this character's passive tree would result in several thousand more life which is all turned into more Righteous Fire damage. The penalty of not having sockets is not that big a deal since none of the main skills need many supports.

Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

The rest of the gear is chosen for maxed fire resistance and after that to get as much +life as possible. Life regeneration mods on items are insignificant because they are so low compared to what I get from the percentage based bonuses from the skill tree.

Armor and evasion equipment is preferred because energy shield is almost totally useless with Righteous Fire running.
Unavailable

Redbeak is used as weapon because it is one of the only weapons with +life as a mod and the character spends a lot of time on low life where the +100% damage shines. Also being a sword it allows the use of Whirling Blades.

Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Flasks are very important for this character. Two slots are used for Cautious Life Flasks (extra healing on low life) and two for Ruby Flasks for +10% maximum fire resistance. These flasks keep the character alive very effectively during Righteous Fire. The character kills enemies fast enough to fill flasks that Righteous Fire is sustainable for very long periods. The last spot has a Life flask of Dousing (have not gotten a Cautious Dousing Flask yet), very important for the ability to turn off Righteous Fire before reaching 1 life.

Gameplay

When facing mobs Phase Run is used first to run around and attract more enemies. When a large bunch is gathered Righteous Fire is used and the character wanders through the mob, using Whirling Blades to reposition himself. Against tougher opponents Elemental Weakness and Freezing Pulse is used to support Righteous Fire. Freezing Pulse deals significant damage with bonuses from Iron Will, Redbeak and Righteous Fire.

The build excels against hordes of weak and fast melee enemies like the squid spawn and monkeys in the forest. They die to Righteous Fire before they have a chance to attack. In the caverns of act 1 the character can actually just activate auras and Righteous Fire and run through the entire dungeon while using flasks. The corridors are narrow enough that Righteous Fire kills everything along the way.

Ranged monsters take a little more work since they don't actively walk into Righteous Fire's range. Whirling Blades is used to catch them quickly so no time is wasted. Casters are not very dangerous since the character has extremely high resistances to all elements.

Single strong melee opponents cause the most trouble since their attacks have to actually be defended against. Areas containing fewer stronger opponents also lead to some trouble due to the risk of flask charges running out. Some curses are also very nasty. While Enfeeble and Temporal Chains are no problem at all, Elemental Weakness is a total killer for this build which is why an extra fire resist ring is carried around in such areas. Vulnerability is also very nasty with its +40% damage from damage over time effects which makes Righteous Fire much more damaging.

Unavailable

If I party with some very high DPS characters Righteous Fire is not necessary for killing enemies. In that case I will go full tank mode and just keep 6 endurance charges and elemental weakness totem up. There is no need for flask use in this mode as 5k life, massive damage reduction and regeneration keeps me alive sufficiently.

As far as maps go there are quite a few map mods that completely kill this character: Blood Magic, no/slower life or mana regeneration, lessened max resistances, being cursed with Vulnerability (Elemental Weakness can be countered) and extra monster fire resistance to name a few. However, the character can run plenty of maps which are usually quite difficult: extra elemental damage for monsters is no big deal with maxed resistances, chaos damage over time is trivial with this character.

The best maps however are ones with Temporal Chains. Don't laugh. I found out that being under Temporal Chains slows down the damage to self caused by Righteous Fire and it also prolongs the effects of my endurance charges and Ruby Flasks. This means that such a mod is actually beneficial for this character, and the item bonus is very high for that one as well. I'm buying all your Temporal maps thank you ;).

-Ropetus

EDIT: Added links to gear and made notes about maps.
EDIT: Found Araku Tiki and gave it a try. Got to agree it is better than what I had. Gear updated accordingly.
EDIT: Found out a cool fact about Temporal Chains. It actually helps the character.
Author of Build of the Week #11: PalavaKostaja - Righteous Fire Marauder
Last edited by Ropetus on Sep 17, 2012, 3:21:03 PM
"
lukeiy wrote:
I haven't found a way to effectively deal with elemental reflect packs yet though, and 1 discharge will instant kill me if i try it...

Try ethereal knives, it will benefit from your spell damage and crit bonuses, and packs a pretty good punch.
"
Ropetus wrote:

PalavaKostaja - lvl 61 Righteous Fire Marauder

-Ropetus

Love the build :)

Have you thought about using
Unavailable

Seems like a perfect fit for your build, altho none of the mods are especially high.
"
Winenose wrote:
"
Ropetus wrote:

PalavaKostaja - lvl 61 Righteous Fire Marauder

-Ropetus

Love the build :)

Have you thought about using
Unavailable

Seems like a perfect fit for your build, altho none of the mods are especially high.

Yeah I have contemplated that one too but I prefer my Onyx with high +Strength and +Life mods. The character uses diverse skills so the +20 all stats is very needed for Gem prerequisites.

I might start using Araku Tiki if I grab some +30 Int/Dex nodes from the tree but for now I have not really missed it.

-Ropetus
Author of Build of the Week #11: PalavaKostaja - Righteous Fire Marauder

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info