[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

Would like to see here how other Mac/Wine users are coping with patch 0.9.12.

For me almost everything seem to run smoother than before and loading times are a tad shorter now.

No crashes to report after some hours, but I did experience a Kernel Panic when I launched PoE with v3 wrapper after the patch was applied o_O. The initial loading screen has been graphically distorted for a while now but that's no big deal.
"
krifFinn wrote:
Would like to see here how other Mac/Wine users are coping with patch 0.9.12.

For me almost everything seem to run smoother than before and loading times are a tad shorter now.

No crashes to report after some hours, but I did experience a Kernel Panic when I launched PoE with v3 wrapper after the patch was applied o_O. The initial loading screen has been graphically distorted for a while now but that's no big deal.

The graphical distortion is most likely caused by Mac OS X 10.8 OpenGL bug, you can notice similar distortion on OSX apps as well. Moving the window fixes the distortion, and it fixes itself anyway.

For the Kernel Panic, you encountered the classical kernel panic. (black message box with text), or the GSOD - Gray Screen of Death (nothing displayed, just cursor an gray screen)?
If you encountered classical kernel panic, then something is really off, this should not happen EVER as the wine or game is not accessing the kernel directly or with root permissions.
The GSOD thing is known, and it can sometimes happen when somehow WineskinX11 process is launched twice. The OS X will consider it as application hijack attempt, and will kill everything to prevent any damage. Also this is currently known issue, and author is trying to find the solution to this. when the solution is found, I will update the wrapper to prevent these things happening again.
Yeah, the graphical distortion does not really bother me as it happens only in the loading screen and fortunately not ingame.

As for the Kernel panic, I got a grey screen with "Your computer restarted because of a problem..." in multiple languages. Probably it was just a problem with Wine (or WineskinX11 as you stated), and is nothing to worry about.
I recently downloaded the combo update for my mac os 106.8. game was running great on v2, v3 still quitted on me but it was better than nothing. Now after the game updated to 0.9.12 i tried to play v2, game quits before even finishes loading. tried V3, it loaded but in act 2, there is serious graphical glitches all over, screen tearing, characters bodies are invisible, and textures are missing everywhere. it occurs even in act 1. Seriously WTH!. the game was fine for me mostly on v2, but now on 0.9.12 it has serious problems that i don't even understand how to fix at all. basically, the game is ruined for me on both v2 and v3. Can anyone please help, i was seriously enjoying this game more than Diablo 3 and now patch 0.9.12 ruined it for me. Heres the Specs for my computer if anyone is wondering what they were:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i3
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.59f2

Edit: ATI Radeon HD 5670:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5670
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68c0
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B9850K-133
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.416
Displays:
Last edited by Sparten890 on Sep 10, 2012, 3:33:26 PM
Yeah, I noticed there is a crash bug when entering Act 2 on High texture details. Try to set texture details to medium and turn off the post-processing.

I am at work whole week (first free day is on monday), so I don't know if I will have time for looking into this issue this week.
I played several hours without any problems.

WOW! I can play a nice smooth 1280x800 (without shadows, medium textures) in fullscreen. This is defenetly a nice job from GGG and the porting guys since in this May I was able to play only in 800x600.

I tried high textures but as Julus wrote above the program quits with an error message. Other than that, everything just got better for me.

Thanks for GGG and Julus!

"
Sparten890 wrote:
Seriously WTH!

Sorry to hear that you keep enduring these problems.

First, do what julus suggested about ingame graphic settings (post-processing, textures). Turning off post-processing is known to sometimes help with graphical issues.

Then there is always the "-gc 1" flag you can set in Wineskin Advanced (this is not default in v3 wrapper), in case you haven't tried that yet. I trust you have.

Finally, this is just a thought. How about building your own wrapper from scratch specifically for your system? When I first tried to run Path of Exile with wrappers found on this website I couldn't make them work. I read the related topics with a bit of care and built my own that I got working and I can still use it.

Building a wrapper is definitely not rocket science. I'm pretty useless with computers and coding and still I made a working wrapper. If you are interested, I'm sure people here, including myself, can help with that too.

EDIT typo...
Last edited by krifFinn on Sep 11, 2012, 7:03:21 AM
"
krifFinn wrote:
"
Sparten890 wrote:
Seriously WTH!

Sorry to hear that you keep enduring these problems.

First, do what julus suggested about ingame graphic settings (post-processing, textures). Turning off post-processing is known to sometimes help with graphical issues.

Then there is always the "-gc 1" flag you can set in Wineskin Advanced (this is not default in v3 wrapper), in case you haven't tried that yet. I trust you have.

Finally, this is just a thought. How about building your own wrapper from scratch specifically for your system? When I first tried to run Path of Exile with wrappers found on this website I couldn't make them work. I read the related topics with a bit of care and built my own that I got working and I can still use it.

Building a wrapper is definitely not rocket science. I'm pretty useless with computers and coding and still I made a working wrapper. If you are interested, I'm sure people here, including myself, can help with that too.

EDIT typo...

Still been having problems with the game. Can you show me how to create a wrapper so i can actually play this game without worrying that it might freeze and quit for no reasons?
"
Sparten890 wrote:

Still been having problems with the game. Can you show me how to create a wrapper so i can actually play this game without worrying that it might freeze and quit for no reasons?

You need to download wineskin winery - http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/

From winery, you need to download wineskin engine you want to use WineCX or Wine1.5.0 and older or Wine 1.5.12amdspeedhack) and wineskin wrapper, from there you can create a new blank wrapper.

When you have the blank wrapper, just doubleclick and the wineskin menu will come up, offering installation of windows program and the tuning.

Also, I will post v4 soon (later this week or beginning of next one) as new wineskin wrapper is about to be released (2.5.7) which contains a lot of updates regarding X11 and OpenGL. I will be also forcing some settings that are not automatically used on some GPU cards.

Anyway regarding your crashes, try add --nosound to exe flags, you will have no sound, but it should fix any crashes (not glitches) you encounter... Please let me know if the --nosound helped you.
Now, I shouldn't probably spoil julus' thread by posting this load of drivel but since the Mac/Wine discussion is mostly continued here, I might as well...

So here is a simple guide how to build a wrapper like the one originally posted by FKNKickass. There may be some unnecessary utilities within it, but they can't do any harm can they ;)

Again, I should point out that it may take some trial and error to get this working but it is an alternative for those who had better experiences with v2 wrapper compared to v3.

Here you are:

Spoiler
Install Wineskin Winery (I have version 1.7). Wineskin Winery lets you download Wine engines and create blank wrappers.

I also have following software installed (not necessarily required, but can be of aid):

MacPorts
Xcode 4.4.1 (Also Command Line Tools in Preferences->Downloads)
Xquartz 2.7.2

To create a blank wrapper:

1) Open Wineskin Winery.app
2) Switch engine to WS9WineCX11.2.0 (download it if it’s not on the list already), then select Create New Blank Wrapper and name your wrapper.

Installing Path of Exile:

1) Right-click Path of Exile.app (or whatever name your wrapper has) and select Show Package Contents

2) Open Wineskin.app

3) Go to Advanced and check that you have Wrapper version 2.5.6 and Engine is WS9WineCX11.2.0.

4) Next select Tools and in Tools select Winetricks

5) Search the following support utilities and check all of them, after that click Run

gdiplus
ogg
riched20
comdlg32ocx
xinput
dsound
windowscodecs
usp10
comctl32
mfc42
msvcirt
vcrun2003
vcrun6
vcrun6sp6
native_oleaut32
dotnet30
dotnet30sp1
d3dcompiler_43
d3dx11_42
d3dx11_43
d3dx9_43
d3dxof
quartz
vcrun2005
vcrun2010

6) In Wineskin Advanced select Config Utility (winecfg)

7) In Wine configuration select tab labelled Libraries and add following overrides:

d3dx9_43
windowscodecs
d3dx9_42
dmusic32
dsound
openal32

Then click Apply and OK. Close Wineskin.app

8) Download PathofExileInstaller.msi from Path of Exile website

9) Open Wineskin inside Path of Exile.app and select Install Software

10) Click Choose Setup Executable, search for PathofExileInstaller.msi and select it

11) Install Path of Exile, then close Wineskin.app

12) Open Path of Exile.app and it should begin installation

For troubleshooting, try ”-gc 1” or ”--nosound” in EXE flags field in Wineskin Advanced, to narrow down what might cause crashes

Any comments or reports are welcome.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info