Season 3 Statistics and Demographics Thread

Improved presentation (more charts), including retroactive charts.

Also class adjustments are now based off the results of the entire season, not just results of that particular race.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Inspired by Polaris' comments, I've added a chart for class performance by percentile for Descent races.

The results are pretty much as follows: duelist and ranger are both about equally viable, but ranger performs best in the 50th through 90th percentiles (better than average, but not elite); duelist outperforms ranger at other points, although it doesn't really break far from ranger until around the 95th percentile. Marauder is also a competitive option, but really only for the top 3% or so of racers; it must be very skill-intensive, as it lags far behind ranger and duelist until you reach the 97th percentile.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 7, 2013, 9:34:36 AM
I'm honored to have inspired an update.

Looking at the new charts, the results are not what I expected! I thought the Duelist was going to be dominant across the entire level spectrum, but the data tells a different story.

Well, maybe I should try a Ranger. But then again I only have practice with Duelist so I don't know how that would work out.
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
Looking at the new charts, the results are not what I expected! I thought the Duelist was going to be dominant across the entire level spectrum, but the data tells a different story.
In seven of the eleven Descent races thus far, ranger has outperformed duelist per capita.
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
Well, maybe I should try a Ranger. But then again I only have practice with Duelist so I don't know how that would work out.
Look at your last duelist XP result; if you earned between 120k and 400k XP, I'd say you should plan on a switch. Get some practice before the next race using Rain of Arrows and/or the Poison/Ice arrow combo. Right now you seem to be just over 100k, so I'd say stick with duelist until your area-skipping skills improve; you're probably not ready for ranger yet, but that doesn't mean it's too early to anticipate the training wheels coming off.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 7, 2013, 7:30:43 PM
"
Right now you seem to be just over 100k, so I'd say stick with duelist until your area-skipping skills improve; you're probably not ready for ranger yet, but that doesn't mean it's too early to anticipate the training wheels coming off.

Correct data... wrong conclusion! I can do pretty good as long as I live, it's just that I suck at surviving, especially Descent. I only survived one Descent race out of 4-5 attempts so my average is pretty bad. Once I figure out how to get past Merveil my results will improve. It's taking a while.

Anyway, I had my best races ever today: Events 37 and 38 I ranked in top 20. A first for me! Event 37 (Famine) I had amazing drops, but Event 38 (Turbo) I think everyone else just died a lot. Now you have a better idea why I'm wary to switch class =D
Descent updated fully to D056.
Would adding a second vertical scale for class level to the graphs be difficult?
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man with a wise brow and pulseless heart, weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not rather the genius of history like an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
"
Summoner wrote:
Would adding a second vertical scale for class level to the graphs be difficult?
Kind of. It wouldn't be that hard to do the formulas, but it would involve event more SUMIFS formulas being applied across thousands of rows in Excel. Already it's to the point that Excel takes 5 minutes to recalculate after adding in another 2000 rows for a new race, and I anticipate by season's end it will be closer to 15 minutes. Adding more calculations at this time would only add to the strain.

That doesn't mean I've ruled your idea out completely.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Look at your last duelist XP result; if you earned between 120k and 400k XP, I'd say you should plan on a switch. Get some practice before the next race using Rain of Arrows and/or the Poison/Ice arrow combo. Right now you seem to be just over 100k, so I'd say stick with duelist until your area-skipping skills improve; you're probably not ready for ranger yet, but that doesn't mean it's too early to anticipate the training wheels coming off.

Alright Scrotie, I concede the data is on your side. Here is the thing- it took me two seasons to get where I am with the Duelist and I don't think I can do the same with the Ranger in a few days. Pretty much the only thing I know how to do in this game is Cleave. It's not a diverse skill set, but it's what I do!

I'm anxiously awaiting to see how demographics have changed since the Ranger passive rebalance, so please push some more updates!
"
PolarisOrbit wrote:
I'm anxiously awaiting to see how demographics have changed since the Ranger passive rebalance, so please push some more updates!
Unfortunately, my hard disk had to be reformatted due to virus, so this requires me inputting all data over again from the beginning; I only uploaded the public content to Google Drive. I promise new data within 60 hours.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info