POSSIBLE BSOD Portcls fix for Creative X-fi's--NEEDS TESTING.

Well if you mean the latest patch, then yes. I updated to the latest beta drivers last night and after the new patch today I played most of the day without any crash at all. Longest stretch I've played yet without a crash so far.
played for about 50 mins with the 0.9.12h patch. No crashes so far.

won't get to do much more testing for a while :(

Running X-Fi Fatalaty FPS (PCIe) card. Win 7 64bit.

NOT using the beta drivers.
deleted this post as new crashes seem to be unrelated to soundcard
Last edited by psyc1one on Sep 18, 2012, 10:45:58 AM
Just got a portcls crash when I alt-tabbed to check my email. When the email sound started to play I got a BSOD. I am not using the registry fix posted, I am using the latest beta drivers for Windows 7 Xi-Fi Titanium.

I've never had problems like this with other games and could run something like WoW all day long and even run another game with WoW in the background. I tried to run WoW with PoE open and got an instant BSOD so they don't play well together.

Seems to me when I minimized PoE the sound kept playing. That seems to be a problem since other games release the sound when minimized. There is probably some sharing the sound device issue that triggers these crashes since PoE doesn't play nice with the sound and other games do.

Not that I'm a big fan of Creative since I've had some issues with them and I think their support and quality control has gone to crap in recent years. Windows Vista and 7 kind of threw a monkey wrench in how sound works though which hasn't helped either. Not sure if that's Microsoft's fault or Creatives fault for not adapting to the changes.
Creative Audigy 4 - Still crashing
I've noticed most of my BSODs in the past were mainly happening around alt-tabbing but a few were just as i was playing. I'm almost getting afraid to play the game cause im sick of the resets.
"
Sparzy wrote:
I've noticed most of my BSODs in the past were mainly happening around alt-tabbing but a few were just as i was playing. I'm almost getting afraid to play the game cause im sick of the resets.

Does this not fix the issue for you?
Balance & Design
Thanks for the X-RAM fix, I was going nuts wondering why I was BSOD'ing playing videos with PoE running in background.

And btw I found this:

"
A game which makes use of Open AL does not require additional function calls. By default the X-RAM extension is set to automatic, all Open AL buffers will be loaded into X-RAM as long as there is storage space left. This means that if a game is using Open AL it makes use of X-RAM as soon as it has been detected on your sound card. The X-RAM extensions can also be set to manual (hardware or accessible). In this mode it is up to the game developer to decide what sounds will be uploaded to the X-RAM.

So, PoE really needs to be careful with the buffers and/or which sounds it uses with X-RAM. Hopefully this is fixed soon so we don't have to globally disable X-RAM.

Edit: Using a X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro here btw.
Last edited by leetminiwheat on Oct 20, 2012, 4:54:22 AM
Confirmed said issue, ever since I installed this game as of 10/22 it's the only game I've been playing, and I've had the BSOD happen on 3 separate occasions. I haven't used any other game application and this is the 1st issue I've had on my rig in months.

Tried -softwareaudio, also tried registry hive fix to disable XRAM, both to noavail. On the 3rd BSOD my sound-card registry hives were corrupted and I've spent the last several hours getting everything back in order, it was quite a mess.

This game will be put on the back-burner until it's stability issues with this particular card are squashed, or I get a new card, whichever is first.

Very interesting game, expansive skill system, beta is a beta however, isn't my 1st time around the block with these particular situations.

Kudos to the devs // users for the posted solutions, was worth a shot.
My relationship with Path of Exile is a love/hate one. Scuffed.
This worked for me. 2 BSOD on my first day of playing within 30m of each other. Hadn't had a BSOD in over 2 months, but after doing this I haven't had one since.

I would trigger it every time I tried to start a video in the background while playing. Now I can continue to watch shows while playing uninterrupted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info