Tempest shield build

[Edit] On popular demand, my current build is as follows:
Tempest Shield/Molten Shell
I have had quite some interesting discussions so far and I think there are more optimal solutions, including marauder versions of this build. I play a lot with different characters as well though, so I am not sure when I can comment on whether the marauder version can hold a candle to the ranger build or vice versa. So far, it shows a lot of potential though.
[/Edit]

As I feel like the thread in which the discussion originated was not the ideal place for discussing the build, I have opted to make a dedicated thread instead.

My initial post was on page 18 of the following thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/35331/page/18

My intitial post is attached with spoiler tags:

Spoiler
"
renatobaal wrote:
I would like to suggest my Tempest Shield Ranger called Kemaya.
First of all, my compliments for making a game that even allows this build.

Up until today, I have been searching for that one missing skill that would make my build complete. Not that it is complete now that I found it. On the contrary, I am still missing a lot of items and levels. Yet, even now, I am having a blast playing this character.

The main skills is tempest shield. I have taken a bunch of shield block nodes to make sure I reach the 75% block cap. On low levels, I was using the unique ‘Kaltenhalt’ Bronze Buckler. For later levels, I was planning on using the ‘Daresso’s Courage’ Baroque Round Shield, but I have found another shield that is much more to my satisfaction, though I only have a total of 72% block with it.

First and foremost, tempest shield is tied to elemental proliferation. This is undoubtedly the key in the build, as stacking the shock status on a group of enemies allows me to kill them quite fast. Correction, I think I meant to say “allows the enemies to commit suicide swiftly”. I have enough spell damage to have my tempest shield deal 250~350 damage whenever I block an attack, which is 75% of all non-spell attacks. Normal mobs tend to kill themselves on my tempest shield, and do so especially fast when in groups. Each individual hit is another chance to shock a group of enemies.

I have the passive that shocks mobs 5% of the time, but I also have decent critical strike chance (22.8 currently, though will become more if I can add a crit chance support gem) meaning the chance to apply shocked is 27.8%.

To augment the damage of my tempest shield, as it is often not enough, I have molten shell. Both tempest shield and molten shell benefit from me blocking attacks, rather than evading them. Furthermore I will tank a lot, meaning I need armor to prevent myself from dying when mobs get hits on me. The ‘iron reflexes’ keystone is very important for this build.

My sequence of actions in combat mostly looks like this:
-endurance cry for 3 endurance charges to enhance my survivability
-Cast the enfeeble curse to enhance my survivability
-Cast molten shell
-Stand still in a group of mobs
-Drop a Detonate Dead-casting totem

I chose enfeeble as curse to apply, because it lowers damage output significantly, but doesn’t impair the ability of the mobs to throw themselves on my tempest shield/molten shell. Temporal chains is less optimal. For the same reason, I am not using any cold damage skills, as I don’t mobs to be frozen, I want them to hit me =)
Lowering the damage output of mobs is crucial, as you’ll be spending most of your time surrounded by angry critters that stun you if you receive too much damage. Stuns are molten shell’s primary enemy, as you will lose both time and mana by getting stunned during the cast animation. The build allows you to tank a lot, but not until the end of time. You’ll be using your potions fairly often (I always have a health regen potion running with 2 instant heals ready for unlucky streaks of hits/crits)

Detonate Dead is my latest addition to my build and was the skill I was referring to in my opening paragraph. The synergy with my build is amazing. Tempest shield has the habit of killing mobs at an uneven speed. Sometimes mobs are simply lucky and I don’t block their attacks, for other, tempest shield crits for 410% (will be more soon) damage and kills them outright. With detonate dead, the fallen serve as a catalyst for speeding up the impending doom of the remaining assailants. With the rampant shock status ailments everywhere, detonate dead becomes even more effective than usual.
The skill is also welcome because it gives me something to do while the rest of my build is doing its work. Molten shell is not a spammableand I only need to cast my defensive skills every 10 seconds, which, incidentally, is more than the duration of most combats.

Another crucial part of the build is viper strike. My main hand is a weapon that averages on 20 damage per hit, so a skill that doesn’t rely on weapon damage is great. I apply viper strike a couple of times on rare/boss mobs and occasionally on blue mobs if there is not enough cannon fodder around to trigger shocked and molten shell for large amounts of destruction.

I have whirling blades for escaping difficult situations, but I am not very adept at using it, because I hardly ever need it. Not to say that I don’t die, but that’s because I am not really a very good player :P

This build destroys everything that is not a spell-caster and some spell-casters as well. Necromancers have never been easier. With this build, it is possible to charge right at the necromancer, even if it is a rare mob. The necro will only die faster if his minions come to his aid. Even if you choose to kill the necromancer later, the detonate dead totem clears the room of undead meat used for his practices.

The bane of this build is a room full of casters. If it is only a couple it’s quite doable, just kill the casters first while the non-casters continue to throw themselves on your torrent of fire and lightning. Another weakness if viper strike. If you see large spiders crawling your way, you might want to consider twice tanking them, because a stack of four viper strike charges is quite indifferent to the otherwise mighty defenses that are your armor and your shield.
I am desperately in need of the unique amulet that allows me to block spells at a rate of 50% of my block chance. Without this amulet, not only am I vulnerable, tempest shield simply refuses to damage casters without it (the baroque shield I mentioned earlier only works on low life, which is not ideal, the node in the skill tree is too far away for me to take and it’s only 12% anyway.)
Molten shell doesn’t trigger on casters and detonate dead doesn’t work without something dying first.
As a side-note, if anyone is willing to trade me one (normal legacy league), name your price ;)

As for my passive skill tree, it is currently as follows.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQIAAy-ieAXc070I23LXDTEnnA3wYAUUUvkIFs0jlBd-l-IYPlkdGe2egBrryz0dCl1LHplemSEa-H8hrvC1IdovZSKryuglIQk3LNfCCzOBRLY1ASd2PwSf60IlWQtExjLpSFn880m2H21LEvqpU0q5nFdv3D5fm7mIX9NDhWjaGVRphWzcaiLrvG0HEvlxhCkcc88WpXbNX5mMKoh2lPYNZ5Y6prSWa8ytlv1vtpiq2n-egfe5pF7hoaSYTeKpCn88r1KUZrCmEeyxV4zVtB5ne7az8e2_UjmuwkD1osQl-jjHP9Ckx_NdvdEssafUkxN43qCvTeDBFyDoQHTt7x4SX_j7IMj9tPx5

I am on my way to the sets of nodes that grant me critical chance and critical damage, as those stats are simply very important to keep the massacre going. Apart from iron reflexes and shield block nodes, I have a few HP nodes and a bunch of elemental/spell damage nodes. Quite specialized and straight-forward actually.

My gear is focused on spell damage/spell crit and survivability. Anything with a high evasion rating and/or a lot of health is great. My current configuration is sub-optimal, due to some constraints (int/strength must be obtained from gear, I need to have sufficient linked sockets etc.), but some items, like a unique skean or a lapis amulet with spell damage/fire damage/health/+to all attributes are really nice and help enormously.
+X life on kill is also very nice for this build. It grants an enormous amount of survivability, as stuff dies all the time. it is almost a continuous stream of additional health. I wish I had more than only +20.

I haven't been able to test the build in maelstrom yet. I had too much fun with the build to advance the story :P

I am currently replying to this post:

"
How do you feel an ES variant of the build would do? It would solve the issue of Viper Strikers, but you wouldn't have the option of using health flasks. However, it could open up more opportunities for special flasks (resistances, crits, armor) and potentially provide more Effective Health. I could see Lightning Warp or Shield Bash doing alright with it as well, rather than Whirling Blades. Thoughts? I ask because it's your build and you probably know the ins-and-outs of it better than I can imagine them.

EDIT: I tested the Ezomyte Shield a bit in Old Fields; one attack was doing about 3/4 of a small monkey's HP or 1/2 of one of the larger ones. It took about 5 attacks on me for a golem to impale itself (without Tempest Shield or Molten Shield) - might be worth it! There are also mods on items which reflect up to 50 physical damage (per item!).

An ES build is an interesting suggestion. It's a shame I don't have much experience with CI though.

I think the playstyle will be profoundly different with ES, but it should be doable. Whereas I am more of a tank, I would expect more hit and run tactics with molten shell and granite flasks where melee is involved.
The duration of granite flasks is extremely short and require a lot of charges. If you use it to counter groups of archers, I think it requires some player skill to time everything right. (f.e. run out of range of archers and in-range again to make sure they all fire within a certain time frame.)

Also, an update. I have accumulated some more gear by now. I have also respecced some passive skills into more evasion nodes. Along with grace and a high evasion shield, I managed to get about 13k armor. If I manage to keep up the endurance charges and enfeeble I am doing great tanking non-casters/non-viper strikers, but if I don't I still get hit very hard. More skilled players would probably do just fine, but my carelessness and inattentiveness are killing me :P

For non-chaos, I really don't need all that much armor, so I use my spell damage/crit chance shield instead. I have also managed to get myself a 5-link chest that provides a lot less protection, but allows me to use extra support gems. Originally, I was planning on using an increased crit chance gem, but for the moment I have opted for added chaos damage instead. My damage total from tempest shield amounts to 356 ~ 534 damage now, 112~170 of which is chaos damage.

I have also gotten my hands on the unique lapis amulet that lets me block spells at 50% of my block rate. While it definitely increases my survivability, I feel that the block rate of 36% is not high enough for stacking shocked on spell casters. Considering that this is the same block rate that most characters have for normal attacks, that's not all that surprising.

I recently found a life leech gem (the percentual based one) and realized that it didn't specifically stated 'physical damage'. I have tried linking it to tempest shield and molten shell and to my pleasant surprise, it worked like a charm. Especially tempest shield works great. I am actually thinking about respeccing again for more crit chance and damage to determine how well my survivability scales with increased amounts of DPS on tempest shield.

Anyway, I'll definitely try out shield bash and lightning warp as well. As you may have noticed, there is a lot customization that can be done with this build and things work well with it in surprising ways. =)

The Ezomyte shield sounds sweet, how much damage reflection did you have? Considering the nature of armor, it doesn't exactly scale linearly, which explains why my 80 damage reflection from items did not nearly do as much.

As a side note, I probably should have a spell of some sort to counter viper-strikers from a distance, I really have to take a look at works best for those annoying critters as well :P I think that with grace/enfeeble/enduring cry/whirling blades, I have too many slots reserved for survivability. Provided I don't do chaos, I have plenty enough as it is.
Last edited by renatobaal on Aug 24, 2012, 5:06:07 AM
Haha sorry for all the questions; I'm quite interested in the build, though! It's right up my alley.

I especially like the life-leech (though you may want to consider Life Gain on Hit as well!) idea. I put together an ES variant which I may try out on a level 59 shadow I have if our trees get wiped sometime in the near future.

As for how much damage reflection I had, just 170 from the Ezomyte (not even the max implicit mod).

This version wouldn't be complete until level 81, but there a are a few extraneous nodes which could be removed (shock/elemental ailment resistances, some crit damage/multiplier), and it accounts for all the required stats for gear - this way specific Jewelry isn't as necessary. IIRC, it comes out to a total of 72% block chance with these passives, Tempest Shield, and a 20% Ezomyte Shield.

(Level 81)

Smaller version (Level 64):

Iron Reflexes isn't entirely necessary, as I could wear ES + Armor items, but I with the +Evasion nodes picked up, I figured it'd be more worth my while to use ES + EVasion armor (not to mention the Grace/Discipline auras).

I also have very little experience with CI builds, which is why I figured I should ask. I know people hit 6-10kish ES at high levels, and I am thinking that with as much armor as you're describing on top of all the block chance, endurance charges, and Enfeeble Curse that should provide a pretty nice barrier to enemies...though not having immediate/burst heals from flasks/supports does sound like an issue for larger mobs - Shield Bash or something similar would be necessary, I would think, in order to escape to a place for your ES to recharge.

I'm basing my assumptions off of a 2k HP marauder I have in Chaos with only about 2k Armor (~20% DMG Reduction, IIRC) who can take a bit of a beating before he goes down; of course, not nearly to the extent a build like this might be able to, but he certainly doesn't get one shotted (except by the occasional Rare Rhoah).

Also, congrats on getting the unique Lapis! I've not seen it in game yet, though I've definitely been curious about it for a while.

EDIT: How do you handle things like rare golem creatures and how difficult of a time do you have managing mana? May I also recommend using a Golden Kris Dagger? It would work with Viper Strike as well as provide 80% crit chance to your spells (on top of whatever spell mods you could get on it)! Too bad we can't dual-wield Shields, haha.
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Jul 9, 2012, 9:55:47 AM
I've got a legacy Tempest Shield user, though Tempest Shield ended up being more of a secondary damage source. You've got an interesting build, but I don't understand why you didn't do this to save some points. If you need the int (you're going to need it for tempest shield at least) from that path, there are other places to get it. If you need it earlier in your build, you could grab it then remove it later.

My build was a Templar build that, at one point, was over 70% block and also had point blank and a wand (increases spell damage AND provides a powerful offensive weapon w/elemental hit and weapon elemental damage). It would actually work much better as a ranger or shadow now that there is weapon elemental damage available over there. One of my main problems with the rebuild on that character is not being able to get enough block (only 64% total) coming from Templar side, and also not enough life (only about 1500). My gear could also use some work, but I'm not really willing to put in that much work for a legacy character. It works well enough in the latest version of chaos, though it feels squishy at times and has issues with elemental reflection.

I think your build shows a lot of promise as well. Lightning warp and Shield Charge sounds like a good combo, though it would make more sense to me to have a spell for single target damage. Good luck!
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Last edited by UristMcDwarfy on Jul 9, 2012, 10:33:57 AM
75% (hard capped) block chance CI build

Hopefully you'll have better luck in Chaos than I did.
TehHammer is not a crime!
Life gain on hit sadly doesn’t work for spells. I have tried other spells in the past as well, but to no avail.
I’d be very interested to see how your build will be doing. I admit that the lack of passive stats in my own build can make things difficult sometimes. I currently have plenty, but it has been somewhat problematic at several occasions.
Mana is really not much of an issue for me. I have +5 mana on kill and 23% mana regeneration from items. No +base mana that I know of. Using tempest shield and grace I have only 80 mana left and that’s to my satisfaction. The only mana demanding skill is molten shell which I have linked to a reduced mana cost gem to make the cost only 48. I get mana back from the kills, so I can usually cast it again right away. Nonetheless, I still use a hybrid flask all the time, just in case I mess up a cast and also to have some passive health regen while I’m tanking. I believe my natural regeneration is 9 mana/s by the way.

Rare golems and those other huge creatures you can find in the cave in the old fields were at some point capable of taking huge chunks of my life total, but as long as I didn’t get myself stuck and surrounded by rare and special mobs of that type I would be fine. It is always possible to activate molten shell and approach the rare golem with viper strike. If he gets lucky, back off a little bit, heal using potions and repeat. The attack speed of hard hitters is sufficiently low to be able to react to sudden changes in your health total.
When I got to using enduring cry and enfeeble, I suddenly was able to tank a whole lot more, including multiple rare mobs, even with gear that was not all that impressive.

@UristMcDwarfy, I was planning on taking the nodes with critical chance and damage. I only put points in the path that you suggested after level 52 or so. I chose to delay taking the critical nodes above the starting point in favor of getting to the 12% health node earlier.
Also, I have used all of my free respec points already. :P

I have found elemental reflection to be problematic for the reason that I notice it too late sometimes. I remember activating molten shell while standing in a group of mobs and an elemental reflect rare suddenly came running onto the screen. It was one of those apes that was further buffed with speed from a rare even further away. Suffice to say, I didn’t survive that fight. :P
In general though, I hardly have problems with elemental reflection. As opposed to molten shell, tempest shield is a constant stream of damage, which I can heal with potions. I simply refrain from using molten shell and focus on the elemental reflector with viper strike. Most of the time the boss drops really fast. In case it doesn’t, enough bodies have piled up by then that I can use detonate dead to finish the task. Worst case scenario, I end up with a boss with some health left, but no more minions that benefit from the reflection aura.
I did a build that plays, I would imagine, somewhat similary.
A Marauder build around molten shell (iron will, ele proliferation, chance to ignite), enduring cry, elemental weakness. Was great fun going against phys. damage enemies, since one trigger of molten shell annihilated large groups of mobs, rares took only two or three hits, while the char was still being quite tanky. It got the point where I run around and intentionally aggroed as many mobs as possible (which eventually also got me killed in my early 50s in HC Merciless, after which I shelved the char.)

However, large pain for me were fire resist foes and casters. I had to run through pyramid, because killing stuff with basically modded heavy strike was really slow. I can imagine the first problem being somewhat lesser for you, since you run a mix of lighting and fire damage. However the caster killing must be comparable or even worse for you, since you don't have the 81% resists and ton of life on top.

Overall, I would rate this to be a fun build with quite an unique gameplay, which really shines in certain areas (like the forest), but suffers a lot in some others. Would be interesting to see if it would be able to get around the new end game, I will certainly try it at some point.
Last edited by WearyWanderer on Jul 14, 2012, 6:02:39 AM
Alright I have to say this build seems brilliant. Tough at first place my mind went "shouldn't this be a Templar build?"

After some reading and playing around with the skill tree is clear why you did not go Templar with it but something about the idea of shield based magic damage feels like it should be.

After the update I am going to give it a try on temp if the try rework is good. I will see how ES/Armor gear with the spell block and ele resistance Temp can easily get casters should be a lot less of a problem but the question is will it still hold on against large numbers of melees. We will see.

Thank you for sharing this inspiring build.
Do you have a similar build in the default league? Would be fun to see it in action. Reminds me of the endurance charge discharge kaboom build prior to the previous wipe and legacy migration..
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"
WearyWanderer wrote:
Spoiler
I did a build that plays, I would imagine, somewhat similary.
A Marauder build around molten shell (iron will, ele proliferation, chance to ignite), enduring cry, elemental weakness. Was great fun going against phys. damage enemies, since one trigger of molten shell annihilated large groups of mobs, rares took only two or three hits, while the char was still being quite tanky. It got the point where I run around and intentionally aggroed as many mobs as possible (which eventually also got me killed in my early 50s in HC Merciless, after which I shelved the char.)

However, large pain for me were fire resist foes and casters. I had to run through pyramid, because killing stuff with basically modded heavy strike was really slow. I can imagine the first problem being somewhat lesser for you, since you run a mix of lighting and fire damage. However the caster killing must be comparable or even worse for you, since you don't have the 81% resists and ton of life on top.

Overall, I would rate this to be a fun build with quite an unique gameplay, which really shines in certain areas (like the forest), but suffers a lot in some others. Would be interesting to see if it would be able to get around the new end game, I will certainly try it at some point.

I have done some tests involving casters and various versions of the build. The amulet that lets me block spells improves my survivability to a satisfactory level, but it doesn't exactly kill them effectively. If I kill casters, I do so using viper strike. I am sure there should be more effective ways, but with some tweaking I expect the build to become even more viable against casters.
I intend to do this in open beta though, as any changes to the skill tree and maximum level cap will likely affect the many options for this build.

"
Stome wrote:
Spoiler
Alright I have to say this build seems brilliant. Tough at first place my mind went "shouldn't this be a Templar build?"

After some reading and playing around with the skill tree is clear why you did not go Templar with it but something about the idea of shield based magic damage feels like it should be.

After the update I am going to give it a try on temp if the try rework is good. I will see how ES/Armor gear with the spell block and ele resistance Temp can easily get casters should be a lot less of a problem but the question is will it still hold on against large numbers of melees. We will see.

Thank you for sharing this inspiring build.

You're most welcome. I have a one or two other builds that are quite effective or at least promising, but this is by far the most enjoyable. I hope that by sharing it, more people will end up playing Path of Exile =)

I have checked to see if the build fits in the new skill tree and it seems that it does. It depends on how much of the shield nodes give block chance, but if the nodes have only been switched around a bit it should be very similar. In fact, I think it opens up many more options. For example, I have better access to an additional endurance charge. It will probably take only 3 additional points to get there, which is definitely worth it.
I haven't checked the templar region yet. Creating completely new builds can be difficult if you're doing it with screenshots of the youtube movie :P

"
THEHORNEDRAT wrote:
Do you have a similar build in the default league? Would be fun to see it in action. Reminds me of the endurance charge discharge kaboom build prior to the previous wipe and legacy migration..

I'm afraid that I only play in Legacy. I regularly try new skill combinations. For this purpose, I prefer to play where my skill gems are. It's what I will miss the most when open beta starts :D
I currently don't have a single default league item or character :(
With the new passive changes I'm very curious to see how this amazing build turned out. I hope it's still feasible.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info