Macros - would i get banned?

So as the name of this dummy account might suggest im a little paranoid.
GGG always stressed their zero tollerance policy regarding "third party" software manipulting the Game.

I've been experimenting with AutoIt and came up with some simple macro scripts that are, in my opinion, realy harmless and far away from something one could call BOT.

Without going into detail, what i currently have (and i do NOT plan to extend the functionality beyond that) are the following "features":

Clock & Timer in top right corner.

Open a portal and walk though it
Quickly log out
Quickly send /oos
Show Itemlevel (just sends /itemlevel in chat)
Link an item to your party
(these functions are a little faster than what the average player could achieve manually)

Minimize PoE
(Windowed Fullscreen tanks my CPU while browsing if not minimized)

Small custom Mouse macros
(Record and Playback Mouse clicks, usefull for activating many auras or switching skill gems)

As this is all written in AutoIt i do not "manipulate" the Game Client in any way. No prozess memory is read nor changed. User input is emulated in an automated but very limited manner.

I'm posting this to gather opinions about the general topic of macros and the listed "quality of life" features in particular.

Some Questions:

1. Would GGG even care? (or are simple AutoIt scripts like this considered harmless)

2. Can GGG detect it?
(hashing part of the programm and searching for the prozess on every client seems a little exaggerated. But maybe the client reports repeated, fast, uniform input patterns to actively detect macros?)

3. Will Warnings be sent out bevor an Account is banned for the use of simple scripts like these?

I know that i probably wont get any absolution from GGG to use these scripts, yet i hope this thread will help me assess the risk of realy being banned for using them.

Btw. if the response on this turns out to be more positive then i expect, i will share my work here (including Source)

Thanks to anyone who read this and posts feedback!

Last bumped on Dec 30, 2017, 12:34:30 AM
Are you even on proxy? oh man, ban inc
My best char so far https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211377
There is no way GGG is going to respond to questions 2 and 3 as this would reveal too much about how they go about catching and banning botters.

As for question 1.....I'm thinking they would care. If they started making exceptions to their rules it leaves the door open for more and more people to push the envelope of whats allowable. Much like the naming and shaming policy even the smallest leeway can be exploited to bad effect therefore no leeway whatsoever is given.
IGN~Dyspeptic or Praecantarix
inb4ban
"Beta"
why should he get banned ?

there are thousends of is boxer user out there so tell me why is that allowed and macro and maphack isnt ?
now i got it maphack and macro gives unfair advantages and is boxer ...ohh wait no that is not the reason

use the macro chris gives a shit about enforcing his own ToS
have you ever seen a thread i got banned ingame ? ever ? if that would be the case the forum would be full with QQ

Cheating for the win
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on May 13, 2013, 7:36:05 AM
uhm. he never said hes using it.

basicly he asked if "something" is allowed. why whould anyone bann him for that?

cant you just respond to op's question properly?
"
topcatti wrote:
Are you even on proxy? oh man, ban inc

nope but changed my ip bevor creating and when logging in with this acc, but thats only paranoia

i dont think GGG will start investigate and ban me,
they got better things to do ;)

"
Bagpuss75 wrote:
There is no way GGG is going to respond to questions 2 and 3 as this would reveal too much about how they go about catching and banning botters.

As for question 1.....I'm thinking they would care. If they started making exceptions to their rules it leaves the door open for more and more people to push the envelope of whats allowable. Much like the naming and shaming policy even the smallest leeway can be exploited to bad effect therefore no leeway whatsoever is given.

You are probably correct, yet i said i want opinions not official answers!
It is against the TOS I believe, but I don't think you will get banned.

As for the 'morality' of it, the logout and portal scripts are a little sketchy in my eyes, but with the state of desync GGG doesn't have a leg to stand on with regards to the /oos script (hopefully the upcoming improvements will change this!). And I openly advocated making an /oos macro in my cylone guide (because holy fuck desync rapes cyclone) and I'm still here (hubris induced banning in 3, 2, 1)
Last edited by aimlessgun on May 13, 2013, 9:56:05 AM
Chris has stated before that you won't get banned for /oos and logout macros. Not sure about the other stuff, though.
ign - JoeyTrader
i feel like pressing "T" (town) to open a portal if you have a scroll should just be a feature in the game, why do i have to make a macro? :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info