Do the devs hate the average people who play this game?

"
mnieradko wrote:
"
That is a HOT take. Big budget games shouldn't put actual gameplay before other things?

You're suggesting to build a house with fancy furniture and belongings inside when the house itself has a crumbling foundation and walls made of cardboard.

The basic things I listed are king and lay the foundation for everything else to come. Whether you make those other things happen is up to many factors, but you can't for example hope to make challenging but fair boss fights when you:

- make everything dark
- design your graphics/colors to have minimal contrast
- provide no gamma correction
- allow things to kill you from offscreen
- perform horrible engine optimization so the game slows to 5 fps on hardware that should run the fight at 60 fps (or some arbitrary comfortable number)
- provide zero explanation to the player when the previous factors DO kill them repeatedly

Diablo 1 in the late 90's and Diablo 2 (way before D2R) in the 2000's had superior graphical fidelity and options to see what is going on than POE does in 2024 and the hardware requirements of those games was a joke in comparison even when the screen was full of monsters and projectiles.

"
D4 had nobody with a vision working on the game.

People in the gaming industry with "vision", but without a basic understanding of how a good game should LOOK and FEEL at its foundation, especially in an ARPG, are as common as drops of water in the ocean. The few people that did along the ways, including the names you mentioned near the start (e.g. Sid Meier), are a dying breed.

Uhh... no. No to literally all of this. The things you're saying are so demonstrably untrue that it makes me wonder if you actually played any of these games at all.

Helldivers 2 is one of the most popular games of all time, and more than 2 months after release it's still a glitchy mess which crashes all the time and the friends list still doesn't work properly. But nobody cares enough to stop playing it, because the gameplay is so damn good.

Gameplay first, gameplay second, gameplay third. Literally everything else combined doesn't matter as much as gameplay, because if the gameplay isn't good nobody plays the game to even notice the other stuff you're talking about.

It's also worth saying that holding up Diablo 4 as a paragon of optimization is laughable. The devs themselves have admitted within the last week that they can't add more pack density because the game would crash, and do I even NEED to bring up why players can't have proper stash space? And then there's the people who literally fried their GPUs playing the D4 Betas... not because it looked good (it still doesn't), but because the optimization was just that bad.

As for Diablo 1 and 2... again, "lolno." I got offscreened all the time by acid spitters in D1 and Burning Souls in D2. The Souls were INFAMOUS for this on the D2 HC ladder realm; they could shoot lightning 2 or 3 full screen widths down a long straight hallway and stunlock most characters who left themselves open to sniper fire. So you saying that you didn't get offscreened in those games... I have to ask, again: did you not PLAY those games?
D4 bad
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
"
mnieradko wrote:
D4 has the following:

- more than 2 pixels of brightness in most maps
- gamma (brightness) correction
- a graphics/color design so you can actually see what is going on
- not dying instantly as soon as something is on your screen
- being able to more readily determined what killed you
- an optimized engine/code that doesn't require 2030 year quality hardware

I look forward to POE2 achieving these same features in the year 2050. Keep buying those supporter packs guys.

I mean what game doesn't have areas to improve?

D4: Is like a really nice looking car on the outside but once you buy it and drive it you realize no one warned you the dealer was shady and sold you a hunk of junk that falls apart the second you leave their lot.

POE: Yeah its missing some gauges and its got some rough edges but she runs and drives and will always get you from A to B.

Honestly the 2 games can't be compared as D4 isn't even close to POE.

Bliz simply makes a game builds up the hype lets the masses down "works on the game to improve it" get people to trust them just enough to buy that next expansion only to once again let people down or simply add that one major fix that's been an issue since release to the expansion :) "gets back to working on it" but really they don't intend to make a major AARPG they just want the quick cash grabs. Once the hype dies down they will put D4 on life support and continue their tactics with D5 :)

GGG releases a free game and continues to work on it offering cosmetics as a way to support the game and its future (trade tabs are kinda needed these days if your really going to get into trade)

In the end both are after money but one is offering to shine your shoes for free and letting you decide if your going to tip the other is selling you snake oil at premium prices while their friend is grabbing your wallet while they distract you with more empty promises and false hope :D
"
"
mnieradko wrote:
"
That is a HOT take. Big budget games shouldn't put actual gameplay before other things?

You're suggesting to build a house with fancy furniture and belongings inside when the house itself has a crumbling foundation and walls made of cardboard.

The basic things I listed are king and lay the foundation for everything else to come. Whether you make those other things happen is up to many factors, but you can't for example hope to make challenging but fair boss fights when you:

- make everything dark
- design your graphics/colors to have minimal contrast
- provide no gamma correction
- allow things to kill you from offscreen
- perform horrible engine optimization so the game slows to 5 fps on hardware that should run the fight at 60 fps (or some arbitrary comfortable number)
- provide zero explanation to the player when the previous factors DO kill them repeatedly

Diablo 1 in the late 90's and Diablo 2 (way before D2R) in the 2000's had superior graphical fidelity and options to see what is going on than POE does in 2024 and the hardware requirements of those games was a joke in comparison even when the screen was full of monsters and projectiles.

"
D4 had nobody with a vision working on the game.

People in the gaming industry with "vision", but without a basic understanding of how a good game should LOOK and FEEL at its foundation, especially in an ARPG, are as common as drops of water in the ocean. The few people that did along the ways, including the names you mentioned near the start (e.g. Sid Meier), are a dying breed.

Uhh... no. No to literally all of this. The things you're saying are so demonstrably untrue that it makes me wonder if you actually played any of these games at all.

Helldivers 2 is one of the most popular games of all time, and more than 2 months after release it's still a glitchy mess which crashes all the time and the friends list still doesn't work properly. But nobody cares enough to stop playing it, because the gameplay is so damn good.

Gameplay first, gameplay second, gameplay third. Literally everything else combined doesn't matter as much as gameplay, because if the gameplay isn't good nobody plays the game to even notice the other stuff you're talking about.

It's also worth saying that holding up Diablo 4 as a paragon of optimization is laughable. The devs themselves have admitted within the last week that they can't add more pack density because the game would crash, and do I even NEED to bring up why players can't have proper stash space? And then there's the people who literally fried their GPUs playing the D4 Betas... not because it looked good (it still doesn't), but because the optimization was just that bad.

As for Diablo 1 and 2... again, "lolno." I got offscreened all the time by acid spitters in D1 and Burning Souls in D2. The Souls were INFAMOUS for this on the D2 HC ladder realm; they could shoot lightning 2 or 3 full screen widths down a long straight hallway and stunlock most characters who left themselves open to sniper fire. So you saying that you didn't get offscreened in those games... I have to ask, again: did you not PLAY those games?

Are you trolling? That person literally explained it perfectly LOL.
Last edited by Ayxera on Apr 27, 2024, 5:21:27 AM
"
Ayxera wrote:

Are you trolling? That person literally explained it perfectly LOL.

Sure, if by "explained it perfectly" you mean "Said a lot of things which are factually untrue and used these nontruths to draw nonsensical conclusions."

We can literally go through both of their posts line by line and disprove every single statement that he or she makes. THAT'S how wrong they are.
Last edited by ARealLifeCaribbeanPirate on Apr 27, 2024, 8:28:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info