Well done GGG the economy will heal if this goes on forever

"
"
Kiss_Me_Quick wrote:
Spoiler
"

"dead game", "dead league", "bad mechanic", and when you see what's really going on that's where the most profits and best-ever-yet mirror-tier crafts are created.

See you later! Time to install and play the league.

Enjoy the league, I had fun myself but it is clearly not sustainable.

Right now it's literally the worst performing league of all time.

35/35, a perfect score!

What's the source?

I went ahead and removed the flash-bang and categorized it:

I was lenient categorizing the numbers by grades. In my case 70% was a near failing grade (69% = fail), but I hear some schools are even more lenient with a 60% (59% = fail).

I'm curious to see who's saying that 30 leagues are either failed or mediocre, while only 5 leagues are good or incalculably good (over 100%)?. Hehehe I have so many questions, but I will leave it at that.

Thanks for sharing this.

Time to go play and buy some supporter packs.

The question is: who decided that the metric for how good a season was is player retention. The #1 question is: are you having fun? Retention can be manipulated in so many ways and there is no single truth to this, which is why statistics like this are saying so little

- did other games release in the same time frame, steering interest away
- how was the challenge design? people who want 40/40 every season grind longer the grindier you make them
- normalize the numbers and compare to total number of players
- how much hype was built before launch
- server issues on launch (e.g. rip Ultimatum)

And so on and so forth..

I.e. in your categorization Essence is on top, together with Talisman which arguably is one of the literal worst seasons PoE has ever seen. It was designed by Chris Wilson and its mediocrity led to Chris stepping back from league design entirely. Also.. Warbands, Torment, Rampage? Those are pre 3.0 leagues. Does that mean the game failed to success? Because in your picture, every single 3.x season is in the failed category with the exception of Metamorph and Harbinger, which are both beyond mediocre in content and impact on the game as a whole.

It's a complete nothing burger
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Apr 22, 2024, 2:53:56 PM
Retention is a good means of telling how engaged the player base is with the mechanic, it is not wholly or even largely commentary on the quality of the league, and quite frankly the league mechanic itself for necropolis is fine. The issue is that all the accompanying nerfs made the game feel much worse to play, they did not nerf just or even primarily by taking power out of top builds, they nerfed all loot except for t17 loot goblin shenanigans, ripped QoL out of most builds and added in an incredibly rippy league mechanic on top, the low retention rate of this league is almost entirely people burning out on how terrible it feels to play, similar to how awfully received Kalandra was, the mechanic itself was not terrible but the accompanying balance changes made playing the game much more of a slog.
"
Retention is a good means of telling how engaged the player base is with the mechanic

No it just says how many people are playing on launch vs how many people are playing a few weeks in. Launch = 100% of course, and then it drops off the further in you go until you reach like 10% at the end of a season. Many people make time on launch to be there, maybe play the weekend. Some people take vacation days. More people just try to fit it into their schedule.

It's the same cycle for every live service game in existence. Big hype into big dive. The value fluctuates for a myriad of reasons, some of which I listed above. Comparing these numbers without contextualizing them leads nowhere

Spoiler

That's just right now for example. If Necropolis was this bad you'd think there would be more interest in other games, no? There's No Rest For The Wicked right now which sadly has some glaring issues on launch or I'd give it a shot myself, but it at least attracts quite a bit of interest right now.

Still, there are like 56k people playing PoE just on Steam right now: https://steamcharts.com/app/238960

Now put that in context with people calling the league "dead" and you have a quite vocal minority that is venting on the forums. Reality, however, looks different
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Apr 22, 2024, 3:04:06 PM
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
Still, there are like 56k people playing PoE just on Steam right now: https://steamcharts.com/app/238960

Now put that in context with people calling the league "dead" and you have a quite vocal minority that is venting on the forums. Reality, however, looks different
This honestly. Shit, I'm not even sure if we had 56k players at Essence launch. These metrics can be interesting if you know how to read them but they say absolutely fuck all about the state of the game or current league.

Like you said, vocal minority. Both these forums and reddit.
Calling the game dead is a significant exaggeration, saying that people are not happy with the current state of the game is not at all. The last time retention numbers where anywhere near this bad were the other two giant nerf cycles that everyone loathed: Kalandra and Expedition, the two leagues with interesting to good mechanics almost entirely overshadowed by GGG's balance changes.
"
ArtCrusade wrote:

The question is: who decided that the metric for how good a season was is player retention.

Did you really just ask "Who decided that people leaving is sign of league being bad?"
Last edited by Aynix on Apr 22, 2024, 3:24:21 PM
"
Calling the game dead is a significant exaggeration, saying that people are not happy with the current state of the game is not at all. The last time retention numbers where anywhere near this bad were the other two giant nerf cycles that everyone loathed: Kalandra and Expedition, the two leagues with interesting to good mechanics almost entirely overshadowed by GGG's balance changes.

You must have a very short memory because people have been whining in every single season, ever, because you just cannot please everyone, ever. It's impossible at a scale like that.

Also nice distraction from how the statistic is being misquoted, how it is lacking context, and how reality looks different.

I also never said that there aren't things to be improved this season. I have asked for the same improvements myself. Does it keep me from playing? Nah dude, it's a banger of a league.

That statistic put Ritual, Delirium and Harvest into the "FAILED" category even. I could cry from laughter, three leagues that receive much acclaim! 😂

Glad everyone saw the glaring issues with the chart. I hope that even the most impressionable amongst us will be a bit more critical next time around.

My hope is that GGG maintains this course. Back-peddling would be disastrous for any gains in classical conditioning terms. It wouldn't just erase 4 years of hard work, it would signal total defeat.

30 days is enough to create a good habit, but a bad habit like gambling or buying RMT requires a continuous effort.

Cheers!

Have a great rest of the league everyone!
~
The Mirror of Kalandra and user retention (view-thread/3489839)
Why not throw the ring into the sea? (view-thread/3488268)
Beware of misinformation on good leagues (view-thread/3514952)
Last edited by BlackMarshes212 on Apr 22, 2024, 3:34:48 PM
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
I.e. in your categorization Essence is on top, together with Talisman which arguably is one of the literal worst seasons PoE has ever seen. It was designed by Chris Wilson and its mediocrity led to Chris stepping back from league design entirely. Also.. Warbands, Torment, Rampage? Those are pre 3.0 leagues. Does that mean the game failed to success? Because in your picture, every single 3.x season is in the failed category with the exception of Metamorph and Harbinger, which are both beyond mediocre in content and impact on the game as a whole.

It's a complete nothing burger

In the early stages of Path of Exile, player expectations and demands were different. The base game was much better then, and leagues like Warbands, Torment, and Rampage served their purpose at the time, attracting players away from standard with enticing rewards and mechanics.
You seem to be under the impression that the economy being even more absolutely lopsided than normal is harmful to RMT, no it benefits them because even fewer people are able to get access to the endstates they are happy with under their own power and the nerfs drive significant frustration with the state of the game, the people who RMT are either lazy and will do it regardless or frustrated enough with the game to want an easy way out but not so frustrated to drop the game entirely, the changes make the second significantly more likely to occur. Furthermore the colossal imbalance also means that the people selling currency or items for real money will have more to sell if they can manage to break into t17 loot pinata farming rather than just spamming throwaway accounts for a few c each.

Edit: also essence was a ridiculously well recieved league, but it had nothing to do with the league itself, the same as the loss of players in expedition, kalandra and now necropolis. Essence coincided with 2.4.0, the gigantic endgame expansion that included the atlas of worlds and the shaper and elder fights, it was so beloved because it introduced the endgame that people play PoE for in the form of the first pinnacle bosses and a huge number of additional maps.
Last edited by CarbotZergling123 on Apr 22, 2024, 3:47:17 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info