Why was the divination card reward structure changed?

Boss uniques shouldn't drop everywhere, I agree.

"
Sources of Divination Cards drops from League content such as Legion, Blight, Delirium, Heist, Ritual, Expedition and Delve now instead drop Stacked Decks.

But why does everything regarding div cards now just eject a placeholder reward=stacked_deck,1 ? Some of them drop 2.

Did GGG share their goals with this one anywhere?
Last bumped on Apr 23, 2024, 5:12:17 PM
Its a nerf that they don't want to call a nerf because every time they do this the playerbase rightfully pitches a fit, they permanently lose some people and usually walk back at least some of the changes after enough outcry and pretend that we should be greatful for them listening to us for walking back as much as they did.
If the crazy decisions made for this league's update are because of the "vision" that led to POE-2, maybe I should just take my money somewhere else. Even without the league mechanic mucking things up, it feels like a different game now...and not for the better.
General discussion gaming forums are almost always a cesspit of ignorance and trolls.
all other problems and changes with this league that are terrible aside....

the change to div cards was a GREAT change. Yes, it was a nerf. But it was a nerf of a mechanic that should have never existed in the game in the first place. They just finally got on board and made the change. Regarding cards, they need to go even further though to get it REALLY right.

The fact that the best source of boss-only drops was.....not the bosses themselves was a HUGE problem in the game design, a gaping wide hole that needed to be filled in.

Personally, I think diviniation cards were a complete mistake from the ground up and should ALL be removed. I have accepted though that this will never happen, as players specifically spent money to design many of these cards. But I am very thankful that GGG FINALLY took action against one of the most blatant issues that cards offer: deincentivized bossing.

Whether you get the unique from the boss yourself or whether you trade for it, the item should ONLY come from the boss.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Apr 21, 2024, 12:49:29 PM
The reason bossing is disincentivized is because its stupid roulette, the only boss that was a reliable currency maker instead of gambling like crazy was the uber shaper, and even then the currency makers were uber elder fragments and orbs of dominance. If they want people to do bosses more then bosses need to drop chase items with something approaching reliability instead of 1 every 50 or so if you're lucky.
Same reason why they called removing LMB bind "Qol" instead nerf.
"
The reason bossing is disincentivized is because its stupid roulette, the only boss that was a reliable currency maker instead of gambling like crazy was the uber shaper, and even then the currency makers were uber elder fragments and orbs of dominance. If they want people to do bosses more then bosses need to drop chase items with something approaching reliability instead of 1 every 50 or so if you're lucky.

What a ridiculous comment to make in a game that is quite literally all about randomized loot. The CHANCE of a good drop is what keeps this game, and this entire genre, alive. A guaranteed drop immediately kills all value of said item. This is actually why Valdo's maps are also a huge problem in the game at large, but at least most of them are damn near impossible to complete and have some serious risks involved. There should NEVER be a guaranteed drop, unless that drop is....not very strong.

And when you talk about "reliable currency maker": the change to div cards only INCREASES the value of other bosses that have been devalued thanks to cards. Certain bosses lost considerable farming weight because their best items were better found farming random maps and gaining cards. This is a BAD thing.

Don't want to boss? Trade for the item. Don't want to trade? Fight the boss. There shouldn't be a workaround to engaging with a boss in some way to get a BOSS item.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Apr 21, 2024, 1:39:07 PM
Grinding

Gear

Games

It's right there in the name of the company.
I poop, therefore I am.
"
jsuslak313 wrote:

Don't want to boss? Trade for the item. Don't want to trade? Fight the boss. There shouldn't be a workaround to engaging with a boss in some way to get a BOSS item.

To paraphrase what you said...

You can do what you want, unless you don't do what I want, in which case you are wrong and should do what I want because you aren't doing what I wanted you to do in the first place which should be duh common sense, so just do what I wanted you to do in the first place so I can feel better about having some supposed influence in your decision making.

Did I get that right?

Yes, I know that's a run on of senseless garbage. Much like some of the comments in this thread.

Disclaimer: I am currently less than sober, having just gotten home from a very long company lunch. Today I am in favor the last reply to this thread. Tomorrow I won't be.
I poop, therefore I am.
"
JunkHeadJoePC wrote:

You can do what you want, unless you don't do what I want, in which case you are wrong and should do what I want because you aren't doing what I wanted you to do in the first place which should be duh common sense, so just do what I wanted you to do in the first place so I can feel better about having some supposed influence in your decision making.

Did I get that right?

No, you read the exact opposite of what I wrote....good job! Critical reading skills.

If "I" want to boss, "you" don't have to. You can still get the item either way. Likewise, if "you" want to boss, I am not forced to if I want an item that only drops from said boss.

What I am arguing is far more fundamental, far more simple. Bosses exist in games like this to drop unique loot. That is their purpose in the game loop. Loot is the driving factor of every single decision one can make in this game. When bosses lost their unique loot thanks to cards, they lost 99% of their reason for existing. This is not a "You have to play this way!!!" argument at all: it is a fundamental design philosophy, which STILL allows you to choose whether or not to fight the boss. You still have complete control to play how YOU like to play: except the boss drop now holds more value, and makes more sense.

And you literally said it in your post above: Grinding Gear Games. The REASON to grind bosses is to get the gear they drop. For everything the game has to offer, there should be a REASON to grind. If you can pick up cards anywhere, there is NO REASON for anyone to grind a boss.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Apr 21, 2024, 2:49:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info