Overall Game Perfomance state - and why GGG is in silenced mode about it?

I wanted to do all ubers before quitting the league for good, but for the life of me I just can't do uber sirus this league because the arena lags the hell out of my game, which has never happened before.

Also, since the beginning of this league sometimes I have huge fps drops in towns. Again something that has never happened before.

It is kind of disheartening that game performance has been steadily dropping ever since the end of crucible.
Last edited by gabpla111 on Apr 15, 2024, 5:10:25 AM
"
"
cursorTarget wrote:
This code is INTENDED to be inconvinient

That's quite a story! Crystal clear naming of functions and variables but somehow the code was bad because it was obfuscated? Well, you can refute to that now if you want, I don't mind, and maybe with some luck it could be a candidate for the IOCCC?

He was trying to flex at me after I posted a screenshot of a remote bourne shell, when I thought to read he said/insinuated I didn't know squat about Linux. What he didn't get is I had started to not give two salamis about the potatoes he wrote, and I literally dumped my stock of salamis in the trash can when he tried to convince me Linux is a gaming OS.
Last edited by Silverpelt on Apr 15, 2024, 5:18:15 AM
I have read through all the posts.
Let me tell you my experience.

I have an i5-2500k and a 1050Ti; 16GB DDR3 memory (1600Mhz). Windows 10 64Bit.

Everything works great and I know what I'm doing.
The ping the London server is 5ms and in the game in Act1, it will occassionaly go up to 8ms. Better than anything Blizzard's servers have ever given me; so it's either a f* lie of it telling me that or it's real (it feels great playing it online).

I got Path of Exile working great starting out in Act1 when I had initial problems with DirectX - it's badly done whatever it is; and as mentioned by several posters "everything's great in Act1" with anything you might be using.

Dx11 has a problem and I couldn't get it to work right (even in Act1).
Dx12 has a problem and I couldn't get it to work right (even in Act1).
You either turn off Multithreading or it's hilarious what you're looking at. Just f* terrible like some joke by the programmers.

Vulkan works great - with Multithreading - but you need to setup the nVidia drivers corretly - low latency 'on' and 'sysmen fallback to off'.

Then I went a step further.
The nVidia shader cache is specific to PoE and it has its own stupid idiotic location in the NVIDIA/TEMP directory... so I mklink'd that to a 64MB RamDisk; that also includes the poecache being directed there as well through the GENERAL/config path.

And it worked absolutely f* great. Even out of Act1 and beyond, it didn't have many problems enough for me to even notice.

But one, day, I went back to play - the next day - and it was so bad, I thought I dreamt the whole thing up until I looked back at what I'd done - fact-checked it all - and realised I wasn't losing my mind trying to get it to work again.
And it still won't.

Sort your shit out GGG.
I don't have £1,000 right now to play your game beyond Act1.

** Forgot to mention:
Playing that l55 Templar is absolutely f* impossible. You die.
It's like the server's ping is 250 or worse (and it's still telling my 8ms).
It's like I have a burned out GPU (and it's not; 54 degrees C is the highest I've seen it).
It's like my PC is junk... it sort of is, but it isn't if you know what you're doing (it's windowed to 1400x1001 on a 1920x1080 display, because the 112GB/sec 4GB VRAM isn't enough even in Act1 and low detail settings).
But when it's down that much, 60fps everywhere... until recently.
There's no going forward with that Templar... it's like my PC is broken until I play something else... with equal or even better graphics.
That putrid lazy port of D2R I've got runs 60fps at High Detail and zero problems and it just feels like a lazy progamming job.

*** Also
The RamDisk is 640MB in size, not 64 (just a generic relation).
At l55 with the Templar, the nVidia shader cache is about 80MB so far.
The poecache hasn't gone over 10MB.
Which I didn't expect. So I don't think that's working right either.
Last edited by didira on Apr 15, 2024, 6:26:36 AM
"
didira wrote:
I have read through all the posts.
Let me tell you my experience.

I have an i5-2500k and a 1050Ti; 16GB DDR3 memory (1600Mhz). Windows 10 64Bit.

Everything works great and I know what I'm doing.
The ping the London server is 5ms and in the game in Act1, it will occassionaly go up to 8ms. Better than anything Blizzard's servers have ever given me; so it's either a f* lie of it telling me that or it's real (it feels great playing it online).

I got Path of Exile working great starting out in Act1 when I had initial problems with DirectX - it's badly done whatever it is; and as mentioned by several posters "everything's great in Act1" with anything you might be using.

Dx11 has a problem and I couldn't get it to work right (even in Act1).
Dx12 has a problem and I couldn't get it to work right (even in Act1).
You either turn off Multithreading or it's hilarious what you're looking at. Just f* terrible like some joke by the programmers.

Vulkan works great - with Multithreading - but you need to setup the nVidia drivers corretly - low latency 'on' and 'sysmen fallback to off'.

Then I went a step further.
The nVidia shader cache is specific to PoE and it has its own stupid idiotic location in the NVIDIA/TEMP directory... so I mklink'd that to a 64MB RamDisk; that also includes the poecache being directed there as well through the GENERAL/config path.

And it worked absolutely f* great. Even out of Act1 and beyond, it didn't have many problems enough for me to even notice.

But one, day, I went back to play - the next day - and it was so bad, I thought I dreamt the whole thing up until I looked back at what I'd done - fact-checked it all - and realised I wasn't losing my mind trying to get it to work again.
And it still won't.

Sort your shit out GGG.
I don't have £1,000 right now to play your game beyond Act1.
Brother in christ you are playing on a 4core CPU from 2011. What do you expect? Don't be ridiculous.
Last edited by Ulsarek on Apr 15, 2024, 6:08:19 AM
"
Ulsarek wrote:
"
didira wrote:
Brother in christ you are playing on a 4core CPU from 2011. What do you expect? Don't be ridiculous.

Bad game engines don't mix with the poor.
This is what happens, and I can repeat it every time (deleting any cache that's taken place).

I start in Act1.
Everything is perfectly smooth. Not a single problem. It's just great.
But the moment Hillock <spawns> when I get the end of Act1 and is visible (not just the audio cue), the whole thing turns to shit.

The CPU goes crazy; the frames fly everywhere and it's as if there's 10 background processes all running concurrently against the PoE .exe.

If I restart in Act1 with another character, the same thing happens AT THE START, and not when I reach Hillock - the whole way through.

It's behaviour only attributed to the game engine and the shader caching behaviour.

Never seen it in any game I have in 10 years.

//
*** Adaptive Vsync + Target Frame Rate > 59
[incidentally, set the above in-game; not the nVidia driver]

This seems to have gotten back what I had for 55 levels with a Templar (and with the screen swimming with shit; it's not the mob density; it's the mobs firing shit at you from 50 directions doing this crap).

In Windows 10 'Game Mode', set the Path Of Exile_64 application to 'Let Windows Decide'.

//
*** And Again - FOR NO REASON

It's started again.
In Act1, between two characters.
It makes no sense.
It's the game and the game engine.
Anybody who's playing this game doesn't care about performance, frames or the quality.
Last edited by didira on Apr 15, 2024, 12:53:34 PM
Here's something interesting.

With the PoE client and with application running (not closing it and then starting it again, this happens):

Logging into the PoE Client and the CPU goes crazy.
Logging out of the PoE Client and the CPU goes to a normal 5ms latency.
Logging back into the PoE Client and the CPU goes crazy.

I mean, come on GGG.
For fucksakes.
There's no anything running. No mobs, no particles, nothing.

The only thing is the client communication and chat.
And your f* servers that tell me I've got an 8ms link to London.

Sort it out.
"
didira wrote:
It makes no sense.
It's the game and the game engine.
It is your 4 core CPU from 2011 that is below minimum requirements. It doesn't compute. Modern smartphones are more capable than your i5-2500k. It is time to be real and upgrade. Don't blame GGG for not being stuck in the last decade. Software advances and makes use of new technology. Your old hardware doesn't grow.
Saying that the Poe engine is better than Unreal engine is like saying that russian lada is better than Lexus .

Utter bullshit.
Neither of the engines is really better than the other. Recreate something like PoE in UE and you will also get a decreasing performance experience upon having multiple particles, enemies and whatnot on the screen. UE is good for other tasts but certainly not to handle a big load of things at the same time. Most engines can't really do that either hence we have games like Diablo or other arpgs with strict limitations for the sake of performance on the lower end but also on the cost of player limitations.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on Apr 15, 2024, 3:39:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info