Quick "gender option" suggestion

"
dW2005 wrote:
"
alhazred70 wrote:

guess what the RPG in ARPG stands for?

In PoE it stands for nothing. You have to make holy guacamole exactly TWO choices during the campaign - bandits (not exactly a choice as people pick what's best for their build) and whom to give that sekhema feather (entirely irrelevant). Compare it to actual RPGs like say Planescape Torment.

More gate keeping.

I DM'ed my first D&D campaign in 1980 BTW. blue or red box (can't recall which was first but I had both. one had tKotB and the other Isle of Dread) goosebumps thinking about it, been reading the same gate keeping since CRPG's "aren't real role playing games" seriously no one cares. There are people who would scoff at you for mentioning CRPG at all LOL. Fortunately I am not one of them.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
"
Scarletsword wrote:
If you were to play a Sherlock Holmes or Lara Croft game you probably wouldn't ask for gender options.

In PoE you do not play yourself or a version of yourself in this world like in most MMOs. There's no character creation tool or anything else that let's you adjust your character in any way.
You're playing a fixed story of a person with a history.
It's entirely normal and acceptable in the game for there to be, in the same town at the same time, multiple doppelgangers of this "person with a history" named JoeBidensCat or PoopedMyPantsLOL or whatever, one with a glowing mushroom for a head and one who's arms have been replaced with spectral versions. As long as that's the case, it's pretty absurd to argue that their history is so sacred and their story so fixed that a gender change, of all things, is impossible. I promise all the alternate-reality Templars and Maruaders and Shadows wandering around trading vast sums of wealth with each other after each somehow vanquishing the same gods won't be offended if there's also a version of them out there that's a woman.

This statement that "you're playing a fixed story of a person with a history" isn't under threat. In a version of the game with a gender choice, that statement would still be just as true as it is when you say it now! In their reality, each character, no matter their class or gender, is the beach survivor, the person who stops Dominus, the slayer of Beasts and gods etc. We get to make choices about who the person is who fits that role because (shock!) we exist outside the narrative. If it's okay that we get to decide that it's the Templar who washes up on the beach, it's okay that we decide that it's a female Templar who gets put on the boat in the first place: it's literally the same thing.

"
dW2005 wrote:
"
alhazred70 wrote:

guess what the RPG in ARPG stands for?

In PoE it stands for nothing. You have to make holy guacamole exactly TWO choices during the campaign - bandits (not exactly a choice as people pick what's best for their build) and whom to give that sekhema feather (entirely irrelevant). Compare it to actual RPGs like say Planescape Torment.
You make a choice every time you level up. This is the real separation between the D2-clone school of ARPG and other RPGs: it's not that you aren't making lasting choices, it's that the choices are largely turned inward rather than outward, to facilitate the game's combat focus.
its hilarious pen and paper role players can't agree on what RPG means, there's the whole "it means acting out your characters actions and speaking in thees and thou's" and the whole "it means doing what your character would do" and the whole "it means a fighter performs the front line role while a Cleric performs the healing role" and then there's the meta contextual "it means playing a game where a character makes progress and choices"

People have been pulling this shit for literally 5 decades and some people think they are making new arguments or expounding on subtle nuances...

When its all just flavors of the same gatekeeping.

Who asked.

SOme people enjoy the idea of options to make their character look and feel more like what they want and this game is one of the many games where that's not only possible: ITS THE MONETIZATION SYSTEM THAT RUNS THE GAME.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
its up to ggg what they think of having a ranger as a marauder etc rly.

ill be honest, if it was my game i wouldnt rly be happy with that. if i was gonna do it i would want it done properly so each character kept their feeling of class identity.

i cant remember if it was mark or jonathan who was talking recently, i believe it was when wasd for poe1 was brought up and they said maybe a little further down the road if we can bring the poe2 character rigging over to poe1 it could happen. and im guessing if that happens then it becomes a lot more likely we could get something like this right?

ultimately it comes down to 2 things, if they want it in their game and if the money it would generate can match the cost to make it happen. if its something ppl want then this is the forum for expressing that to the devs.
sometimes GATEKEEPING is a must if we want to save good things. looking how ppl fkd up other entertainment industries with they OPEN MIND INCLUDE ALL shit.
"
Reshemin wrote:
too many words

Surely you aren't suggesting that Baldur's Gate 3 stops being an RPG if I choose to play as Gale or Karlach?

Anyway.

+1 to OP. I think adding full customization is a waste of dev time because the benefits don't measure up to the costs, but there's no real argument to be made against someone skin-swapping a Shadow model onto their Marauder, or a Scion onto a Templar, or whatever else they want to do. It's not like this would take ANY extra voiceover work or animation; every single skill in the game already has to be animated for every single class in the game. This is the kind of thing that would take one dev and thirty minutes, so even if it's only used by ten people TOTAL in the entire world I think it's worth doing.
This thread will definitely be productive and not get locked.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
"
anti4z500 wrote:
sometimes GATEKEEPING is a must if we want to save good things. looking how ppl fkd up other entertainment industries with they OPEN MIND INCLUDE ALL shit.
Other entertainment industries are doing fine. People having the freedom to make movies you don't like is a good thing.
If they add gender swaps before melee fixes I'm done.
"
"
anti4z500 wrote:
Other entertainment industries are doing fine. People having the freedom to make movies you don't like is a good thing.

hahahahahaha funniest shit in last few days :D good 1 make good 1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info