I want to like Blight, I really do...

One thing that is not obvious is the towers stop working if you are too far from them. Which is insane because they spawn all over the map, that part is simply bad design. You do need to generally build near the pump and stay within a range of all towers you want doing anything.

Another is accepting that blight is a bit luck based.

I have had lanes with no towers for the first whole 2 screens, and then no towers near each other for empower, or the map layout where the elites are jumping lanes and behind cover the whole way to the pump.

You have to accept a certain margin of luck or failure. If you dont like that, then there are other mechanics less luck based.

(I would also ignore the git gud crowd, they are in every game and every game forum and equally pointless everywhere.)
"
trixxar wrote:
One thing that is not obvious is the towers stop working if you are too far from them. Which is insane because they spawn all over the map, that part is simply bad design. You do need to generally build near the pump and stay within a range of all towers you want doing anything.

That's simply a limitation by design which has to do with rendering distance and such. That's also why you can't clear an entire map with one ED/Contagion cast
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
"
trixxar wrote:
Another is accepting that blight is a bit luck based.

I have had lanes with no towers for the first whole 2 screens, and then no towers near each other for empower, or the map layout where the elites are jumping lanes and behind cover the whole way to the pump.

Yeah, see, that's kind of my whole point.

If you have to accept that the tower defense minigame sometimes just doesn't function, then the design of the tower defense minigame sucks and should be improved.
my issues with blight

1. the most easy solution is to have huge ass AOE with high damage that can kill everything before they can get to the pump. if you're playing a more tanky build, it can get overwhelming pretty quickly. it has the same issue with maven invites. kill slow = encounter gets harder over time.

2. melee unfriendly. we still have to deal with lightning mirages and other effects that require us to actively GTFO. if you're using a skill that requires you to stand in place, you're forced to stop your dps to survive.

3. its trying to be a tower defence but it lacks what makes tower defences good.
which is a proper interface to easily upgrade towers. as a melee i have to choose between running closer to a pack of mobs OR running to a tower that might as well be a mile away to be close enough to upgrade it.

the interface itself is slow and clunky.

4. single player unfriendly. when playing with a friend, whenever either one of us clear one area, we can have the ease of building towers thats close to us.

when playing alone, you dont have the luxury, a pack of mobs could be coming from the opposite side of the map.

5. no autobuild option. i really dont mind if building towers cost 50% extra if cassia would help me auto build. sometimes on maps that i struggle, i either win or fail with above 10k points unused.

6. lacks "full minimap", what i mean by that is you cant see the entire situation from the minimap. if you're too far, you cant see a portion of the map, you wont know if mobs are on the way. there was no real special implementation made to make this work just for blight. we were just expected to deal with it as is.

to elaborate on number 6. i've been playing torchlight infinite. for certain encounters, they actually highlight the enemy locations on minimap. sure its still limited by range but you get to see all the tiny red dots showing where the enemies are. no second guessing. noneed to run back to take a peek.

sure with the amount of mobs on screen for blight thats a ton of dots, but i really would prefer being able to see them at a glance.

7. shotgunning. with the amount of monsters on screen, if you're melee, shotgunning can be an issue if you're on the weaker side. you can be doing well for most of the map but if you get into an encounter that has a ton of projectiles suddenly shot in your direction, seeing it would be difficult and avoiding them would be even more so. doesnt help that you're forced to be closer to them as melee.

every league without fail i block blight. i do run blighted maps once in a while just for shits and giggles when i have 0 xp
[Removed by Support]
Blight in maps has a minimal bar for DPS because they're so fast but you can play blight maps without attacking. Ironically they improved portals being too close and enemies skipping lanes during the league. For some reason it came back.

Sometimes you can just fail blight in maps but they drop blighted maps enough now that it doesn't matter much. The real mechanic is in those and so are the rewards. I've been playing blight much more recently. Very good rewards. Heist was close but it's dead now.
"Never trust floating women." -Officer Kirac
I hope the immortal Rhoa bug actually got fixed this time(and not just some spoof patch note) :P Was such a bummer losing blighted encounters to that.
Last edited by arknath on Dec 4, 2023, 4:23:45 AM
Also I guess nobody at GGG noticed that tower defense games have the occasional pause inbetween waves to let you build towers.

Probably not important, right?
I specced fully into blight this league at the start, but have stopped playing it. The main reasons:

- building towers feels super clunky with having to wait for cassia and then for a building animation

- having to move to a position off screen to build a tower sucks when there are multiple lanes and you're defending the center, the mode desperately needs UI that lets you build and upgrade towers without moving around

- blight killed my wildwood spectres twice, it is the only thing in the game that has ever killed them

- outside of blighted maps, the mode feels unrewarding given the atlas investment and time input

"
suszterpatt wrote:
Also I guess nobody at GGG noticed that tower defense games have the occasional pause inbetween waves to let you build towers.

Probably not important, right?

That wouldn't make sense in PoE, because in maps you want to be done quickly (nobody wants a multi stage blight with wait times) and in blighted maps you're on a timer.
There's a reason why there's a blight anoint for maps that makes them faster, not slower
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
I think blight shouldn't have proximity shields in it.

Also blight has some serious lag a lot of the time. Blight also has so many bugs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info