Path of Exile Keeps Crashing On My High-End PC

I've been having a frustrating issue with Path of Exile crashing on my computer. This seems to happen randomly during gameplay - sometimes it crashes to desktop, other times the game freezes and I have to force quit it.

The strange thing is that this is the only game I'm having problems with. My system specs are:

-AMD Ryzen 16 core processor
-Nvidia RTX 4080 graphics card
-32GB RAM
-Installed on an SSD

So hardware-wise, my system should have no trouble running Path of Exile smoothly. I've tried all the typical troubleshooting steps without success:

-Updated graphics drivers to the latest version
-Tweaked graphics settings in-game (turned shadows down, lowered resolution etc)
-Verified integrity of game files via Steam
-Completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game
-Added exceptions for PoE in Windows Defender firewall
-Ran malware/virus scans to check for anything fishy
-Monitor temperatures while playing and nothing is overheating

Despite all this, the crashes persist. It doesn't seem to correlate with any specific in-game actions either. The game will run fine for a while then crash out of the blue.

I'm at a loss for what could be causing this. Path of Exile is the only game giving me this problem - all other games run perfect. I'm thinking it could be some kind of software conflict or engine-specific issue.

Has anyone else experienced crashes with PoE despite having a powerful gaming PC? Any advice for steps I could try or settings I should check? It's frustrating when the rest of my system runs smoothly but this one game has persistent crashes. Hoping someone in the PoE community may have some insights. Thanks!
Last bumped on Apr 23, 2024, 3:05:42 PM
Prolly something with the nvidia card/driver and poe render engine.

I have 7800x3d and a 6700xt and no issues
"
skjutengris wrote:
Prolly something with the nvidia card/driver and poe render engine.

I have 7800x3d and a 6700xt and no issues

any insight on this persons post from UnLovedOne?

"I usually tend to keep everything updated, but since the release of AMD Adrenalin 23.3.1 (released 05-mar-23), i can't update it because it makes PoE to crash at the 1st key i press after entering in the game (often i don't even make it to town, game crashes after login or selecting character).

PC : CPU : AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X AIO cooled
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G OC
RAM : G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C16D-16GTZN 32 GB 4 x 8 GB
MB: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
HDD : 980 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD 1 TB
: Crucial P5 Plus 2Tb
PSU: Asus ROG-THOR-850P Black
Monitor : 42" LG C2 OLED 4K
Mouse : Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard : Everest Max - Gunmetal gray / US ANSI / MX Red
My game crashes 50% of the time I try to log into a character, and then without fail within 15 minutes of being in game, even if I'm not doing anything.

I also have a high end PC:
i9 13900K
RTX 3090ti
32gb ddr4 3600mhz ram
1TB XPG nvme PCIe gen4
Alienware AW3423DWF UW-QDOLED
(2 secondary monitors, another UW and a 4k monitor)

I am very concerned for the start of the league.

Additional troubleshooting done:
Reinstall game through steam
Install game through official PoE client
Try Dx11, Dx12, Vulkan with Vsync off/adaptive/fast, engine multithreading on/off, graphics all the way down and all the way up, triple buffering on/off.

No matter the combination, the game will still crash at some point early in play, if not when just trying to load in.
Last edited by immxrtal on Aug 17, 2023, 9:05:23 PM
I dont have these Alien pcs these guys have, but before the 6GB update engine my game runs smootly on max settings, but now after the 6GB engine update, the games keeps freezing after some random events, for 15s freezing entire pc and followsup with a crash or the game simply closes to desktop without reason no warnings and etc, annoying this started after the 6GB last patch about 4 weeks or so, and after this i never played poe smootly is plagued with bugs, problems, freezing, crashes, and almost unplayable.

i7 7700K 4.2Ghz
GTX1080 ROG STRIX ADVANCED GAMING 8GB
32GB RAM DDR4
SSD SANSUMG EVO850 250GB
WIN10 PRO
Soul of a Dragon, reincarnation of a Dragon in a human shell.

Always a Dragon in mind and soul.

Dragons Forever.
Last edited by Dragony100 on Aug 17, 2023, 8:54:25 PM
Same problem, game freezes frequently and then disconnects after 15s of a frozen screen. I never had so many issues running the game and it all started with the graphics patch. I have tried multiple things I found online but can't get the game stable again. So I am also very worried about leaguestart.

i7-9700K
32GB RAM
SAMSUNG EVO 1TB
NVIDIA 2070 Super (with up2date driver)
WIN11
Last edited by Yew on Aug 18, 2023, 4:34:36 AM
If anybody’s looking for fix, just download the standalone launcher
"
zyber95 wrote:
If anybody’s looking for fix, just download the standalone launcher

I downloaded POE's own client, and my game will still crash in a juiced map, but maybe it will suffice through the campaign. God I hope so.
Same problem here with 4090 and 13900K. Played for about 2 hours and got 4 crashes to desktop so far. Three while entering a new area and one during gameplay with game freezing and then crashing.

It's a shame because I thought about buying some MTX this league, but if the game is constantly crashing I rather play something else.
Yes same for me, and working in game development, Im amazed their QA's havent seen this. I can barely get an hour in now, its the end of POE for me.

I thought D4 was bad, but it stays up for 6 hours now problem on my machine. 6 hours I would rather be on POE for.

If I could turn on debugging for the game I would be happy to help them! Its what I do professionally!!!!

hey ho - sad.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info