Diablo 4 is the best DIABLO game but i've now lost interest in the franchise

"
Pwnzors87 wrote:
At this point it´s not funny anymore, like david against goliath.

Who is laughing? Imagine D4 being David in this scenario selling 10 million copies and making over a billion dollars in two months. Just lol

D4 is, and will be, totally fine. Let the devs cook ffs. Or don't. It's definitely won't matter in the end.

This summers DLC will sell in the millions (not to mention packaged versions with OG D4) which won't explain people saying D4 is dead. For every 1 PoE diehard, there are at least 5 casuals and dads willing to D4 it up.

They both can exist in this space, that much is obvious.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
The emotional yoyo of the D4 community is yet again dizzying itself with that latest campfire chat. To me the game continues to slouch towards satisfactory. All the incoming features Wanderers are going apeshit over are in the "why didn't you do this sooner?" category.

That extra zoom out is nice though, and not standard for ARPGs.

Not enough to draw me back from games I know I really enjoy and am not done with, but eh I will probably give s4 a run. I do find the seasonal content interesting enough a backdrop to fill the pass and try new skill changes.

As Diabloski has made clear, it's really gonna come down to the expansion, which really needs to be the game's LoD/RoS.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 21, 2024, 1:57:49 AM
To me, all the changes & updates have been good since launch. I suppose you could ask why not before launch, but retroactive anger or displeasure doesn't really accomplish much, unless you just like being mad.

It was never going to be perfect, a complete game out of the gate. And in truth, there is no money in that. We all knew the model was live service with paid expansions going in. That said, some things are confusing, like the technical limits on stash space for example. I would chalk some of this up to a relatively inexperienced arpg dev team. They are learning. That much is clear.

Totally agree that the Expansion will be a big inflection point. I wouldnt say critical because either way the game isn't going anywhere.

Again, as I've said previously, D4 is great for me. It does everything I ask, and doesn't try to swallow my life. It respects my time, and has low stakes to achieve modest goals each season.

If someone wants to invest 200 hours a month, play PoE, I'll take my 40-70 hours per season in D4 happily.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 21, 2024, 11:32:38 AM
the new item system looks really good. were gonna have to see what the stats are like in practice but im not sure it matters that much? its safe to say what they showed off is actually a decent item system for the sort of arpg D4 should be. its a little more advanced than D3 which is correct for the scope, D3 is idiotically simple, it should remain the worst item system of any reasonable sized arpg, the example of what not to do, that it lost that spot to D4 was unfortunate.

it all comes down to the gear system, people say D4 has good combat etc... i really dont think it does, its ok at best. people say it has no endgame, again i dont strictly agree i think theres a lot of endgame there its just without an item system theres no point in playing it, theres no exciting loot and the combat is not fun enough to carry it.

I think the original D3 held people better than D4 because the original item system had some fun things you could find and really the combat gameplay is significantly more fun in D3 than D4 so it held people despite having nothing to do. all the critics saying D4 has nothing to do i think miss the point, theres nothing you WANT to do because the item system is shit and the combat isnt fun enough to carry having no loot. D3RoS essentially has almost no loot but its gameplay still carries it, people who stuck with D3RoS for 7+ years playing 600+ hours every season abandoned D4 within 6 months, why? I dont think anyone can make a serious argument that D3 had more endgame than D4. Its got nothing to do with sweatlord elitists etc that i see youtube comments levelling at those guys either, D3 has the most casual bare bones systems imaginable but they stuck with it because its fun to play and manages in its own little way to make something feel 'worth' their time.

they did what they should have done at the start, instead of just sitting back saying no weve never played poe, never played grim dawn dawn, never played last epoch, barely played any diablo even, were just gonna make the flagship next gen arpg blind of the genre, which is madness, theyve obviously looked at what LE and POE do and said: this is what is fun about these systems, we can steal this idea, adapt that idea and replicate the benefits of this other one with our own system.

now their item system is looking really strong? maybe? its a more limited system than poe which it should be. similar to Le maybe in scope? i really, really, really hope they dont roll back the idea of having the tempering system be a bit rng so you can brick your item. it needs that because with only 3 stats its gonna be quite easy to find the 'right' 3 stats on a piece, the system needs a reason to keep finding that item over and over resulting in eventually upgrading your first attempt.

theres a danger in aprgs where its almost like the easier you make it to get stuff the easier people want it, we see it in poe the faster the game has got the more people are resisting any sort of reduction in speed. seems like you dont actually satisfy some people by giving them more you just increase the addiction and with it comes even more demand to go further. i hope they just hold strong and dont go back on the few bits of friction theyve designed into the system because if theres no rng and fails in the item system its not exciting when you get a good result and theres no longevity in the thing.

out of a million things that could have been done better in d4 this was the essential one, this is the one they really needed to land and it seems like theyve really landed it.
Not sure if you're implying I am emotionally invested there, DS44, but I hope not. :) It's just that what they are doing and have been doing doesn't strike me as innovative or surprising. It's remedial. And that's fine (really, is there a more fitting adjective for D4?) but even I am loath to engage in the ping pong rapidity with which D4 redditors receive every morsel of evolution in Estuar.

Thing is, I am so satisfied by other games AND by how D4's camapign made me feel (and it did make me feel, in the good way) that I can't imagine a change to the game that would pull me back immediately. I like that it's there though, waiting for when that very particular itch becomes more than an itch. That to me is what Diablo should be, in this day and age. Reliable, where so many other games are not.

Console wise, this makes it unique as an ongoing ARPG with high production values. Were I a PC gamer I don't think I would have bothered with it at all. Which would have been a shame, but if there's one rabbit hole I try hard to avoid, it's the one where I wonder what I might be missing out on while enjoying myself doing other things. A man can go insane doing that these days.

Edit: okay, one change would lift D4 on my list considerably and I think they'd be fools not to address this: fulfil the living world promise and make strongholds dynamic. Have hordes raid them. Keep us constantly aware of how close to ruin Estuar really is. Make them the push and pull familiar to MMO gamers. I would love to sink some serious hours into a post campaign world that feels alive. I suppose opening helltides to all difficulties is a start...

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 21, 2024, 3:43:59 PM
Sorry if that was unclear. Not the pejorative you, rather the group.
- Abraham Lincoln
"
D4 is NOT a bad game in general.

nah, it really is
S L O W E R

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info